Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, great site by the way!!

I have just bought a 07 plate is220 d se-L, but it seems like something is wrong. It seems very sluggish compared to my accord, even though I know the Lexus has more power etc.

The engine sounds louder and less refined as I thought it would.

When in idle, the vibrations are quite bad through the car, ie rv mirror is vibrating, feel the vibrations a lot through the gear stick etc.

Could this be down to the dpf being partly blocked? Is there any way of knowing how blocked it is etc?

The car has only done 65k so I really wouldnt have expected this, having had a few lexus previously.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

It's time consuming and fiddly but not difficult. If you choose to remove the EGR pipe completely the rear bolts are a pain. Give yourself an hour or two and follow the guides on here.

+1 to clean the EGR. Once you have done it, it gets easier each time. Do it every 8-10,000 mls. Lower side if you are doing short journeys.

Consider also, sticking a can of BG244 in with a tank of fuel to clean the fuel lines, injectors and top end generally. When I had my 220d I also used the AR6200 fuel additive. It's only pennies at each fill up and assists with a cleaner burn of the fuel.

Defo worth doing this one first.

Do you do short journeys mostly? If you do you will need to give it a good blow out every 2 months or so to initiate the cleaning of the DPF. To do this you need to get the engine good and hot with generous revs, this will then promote the 5th injector to operate and then initiate the DPF regeneration. This is, basically, burning off all the soot particles trapped within the DPF. When it happens you are likely to see a bit of smoke from the exhaust.

There's been a lot of problems with build up on these units

I don't have the problem but would it not be prudent if changing these units so often to purchase another unit and just swap them out every time they require changing. It would take the pressure off from taking it off the car / cleaning and putting it back on. With a spare one then it would give the owner time to clean the "spare unit" in time for the next swap out.

Don't know what they cost though to buy a spare?

Ok, cleaned the egr. That lower bolt at the back needs to look at itself! Haha

I can't believe how clogged everything was. There must have been an opening the size of a pea!.

Started the engine afterwards and it sounded awful but I assume that's because of the crud that falls into the engine? Seems ok now. The idle still seems the same as before to be honest, but I will take it on the motorway soon to give it a blast.

post-48436-0-41498400-1382199502_thumb.j

post-48436-0-76855000-1382199512_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, since cleaning egf, idle is still the same.

Once the engine is hot, idle goes to normal but this seems to take about 10-15 minutes. Then if I stop the engine for 5 mins, its back to 1200rpm again, even with the engine still warm from the previous journey.

Reckon in going to out some of that cleaner in the tank, think it will help?

scott sounds like your driving my 220.

im having exactly the same prob though im only getting 26avg round town. i only bought it december so its going back into lexus on wedensday. for all i love the car performance i thought could be a bit better. maybe i should of went for a petrol.

Stick some cleaner fluid in the tank and get the DPF cleaned. My Merc had the same problem at 68k miles. DPF was partly blocked and the intercooler had a blocked pipe. It was a C220 CDI.

No, air con ain't on, nor are the seats. Bought some wynns dpf cleaner, gonna give that a go, then, some bg244 in a couple of weeks.

I noticed yesterday, that the oil was just below the minimum, I topped it up, and I noticed a cloud of white smoke about 4 miles later. Is it common to have to top the oil up? Can't see any signs of leakage.

Thanks guys.

Yes I think it's pretty normal to have to top up the oil, I've read numerous posts stating this. It's quite normal for diesels to use a little bit of oil but obviously not massive amounts as this would suggest a problem

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links