Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought A Mkiv Unseen....

Just had a reply from the seller, and you are right, there is a logical explanation. I didn't fancy driving all that way (It's quite far) to find out something was wrong. I'll have to make my mind up I guess.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Could you kindly tell us what was the seller's 'logical explanation?' Many thanks.

OK, looks nice, but the first thing you'd have to do would be to change the fuel filter. If it had got so low that the warning light had come on, then who knows what could have got stirred up.

Too many dealers seem to think that cars can run on fumes!

Well the Ls finally arrived late this afternoon.....

Don't think I'll ever buy another one unseen!!

Your obviously not happy - is it because of superficial things like dirty interior or is it more?

The good bit is that I absolutely can't fault the way she drives. That's spot on.

but...

I haven't had a proper look yet as it was already getting dark and it was coming down in buckets.....but what I did see was:

The worst condition wheels I have ever seen - on any car. It's like spot the silver paint!

Driver's side front wing damaged ( seller called it a scratch)

Deep sratch on front of bonnet

Golf ball size dent on passenger wing

No doubt I will find more tomorrow morning :(

Keep us posted,

the wheels you can sort & the dent if the paint hasn't broken. If you have to spend another £300 getting the damage & scratch sorted you will still have it fairly cheap & not had the expense of travelling to look at wrecks.

Its a pain when people don't admit to the car having damage its an unfortunate fact that most sellers don't.

I hope its not worse than the things you have already found, If it drives fine & you have to spend a bit all should be well.

It took me 18 months to find my first LS I must have looked at 30 of them & spent a good £500 in fuel before I found the right one with the right history it was 230 miles away.

good luck Mark.

Keep us posted,

the wheels you can sort & the dent if the paint hasn't broken. If you have to spend another £300 getting the damage & scratch sorted you will still have it fairly cheap & not had the expense of travelling to look at wrecks.

Its a pain when people don't admit to the car having damage its an unfortunate fact that most sellers don't.

I hope its not worse than the things you have already found, If it drives fine & you have to spend a bit all should be well.

It took me 18 months to find my first LS I must have looked at 30 of them & spent a good £500 in fuel before I found the right one with the right history it was 230 miles away.

good luck Mark.

I agree Mark. I am not bothered about the work involved. I have refurbished many wheels and am no stranger to body work either. It's basically all cosmetic and can be fairly easy rectified.

It's just not what I expected! Lesson learnt I guess.

I'm really glad it's mechanically sound though. Drives like new.

Well mechanically it sounds sound (that was cleaver) Dents and scratches which are mostly heavy on elbow grease and small on £'s is not the worst outcome. Do a before and after set of pics, and good luck.

What's the mileage out of interest?

181000 with full service history

Still young then! I noticed when the dealer had it up for sale he never once put the mileage on the listing, that always really annoys me.

Keep us posted,

good luck Mark.

I agree Mark. I am not bothered about the work involved. I have refurbished many wheels and am no stranger to body work either. It's basically all cosmetic and can be fairly easy rectified.

As the problems appear to be only cosmetic you bought a good car, that will last for years, for next to nowt

Keep us posted,

good luck Mark.

As the problems appear to be only cosmetic you bought a good car, that will last for years, for next to nowt

I agree.

Since 5pm Saturday I have clocked about 300 miles on the new Ls and it's absolutely superb. The quietest Ls I have owned so far. Not the first mkIV I owned. I had a LPG one about 2 years ago, but this one is def more quiet.

It' just the cosmetic things that annoy me now - Sitting at the traffic lights and knowing people can see your hideous wheels is not a good feeling lol

• Like 1

I was lucky with mine. When I bought it it had brand new pirellis all round and 17inch DHP alloys

They are not perfect and there is one centre cap missing but I am sure I will stumble across one soon

But nice wheels really do finish off the car

• Like 1

Since 5pm Saturday I have clocked about 300 miles on the new Ls and it's absolutely superb. The quietest Ls I have owned so far. Not the first mkIV I owned. I had a LPG one about 2 years ago, but this one is def more quiet.

It' just the cosmetic things that annoy me now - Sitting at the traffic lights and knowing people can see your hideous wheels is not a good feeling lol

Don't stop simples.

• Like 1

Don't stop simples.

haha yes, that would be the solution. Not sure if uncle officer would agree with that :)

Well done Fred.

The temp displays should be lit when the lights are on. Mine is not lit on the passenger side. I will take the unit out and see if I can replace the bulbs.

190 miles for £25? Wow. I get around 100 miles for £30. Not motorway, but mainly dual carriage roads

Hi Ian, absolutely, thank you!

Ruud, I'd say approx £25, maybe closer to £30. There were a couple of 50/40 mph sections and I didn't take it above 70 due to it raining. I'm not expecting mega MPGs but my Vectra was so poorly I'm used to paying £10 for 40 miles!

Regards,

Tim

Hi Ian, absolutely, thank you!

Ruud, I'd say approx £25, maybe closer to £30. There were a couple of 50/40 mph sections and I didn't take it above 70 due to it raining. I'm not expecting mega MPGs but my Vectra was so poorly I'm used to paying £10 for 40 miles!

Regards,

Tim

Ah that explains it - I usually drive it like I stole it :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links