Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 2.5 years of trouble-free motoring I no longer have my GS300 :crybaby:

Still the good news is I am still a Lexus owner having just purchased a Nov 2000 GS 430 SE :D :D :D

I have tomorrow off work so I will be spending a bit of time cleaning and checking everything over. Hopefully I will post some pics tomorrow as well.

One thing I noticed was on the way home there was more wind noise than my old car. It seems to me coming from above rather that from the door. The sunroof seems to sit slightly lower than the roof line so maybe that's it. Anybody know how to adjust the sunroof alignment?

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure about the rims when I first got the car, not that there was any choice as all the 430s came with the polished finish at that age, but after a week or so I quite like them. Show up all the dirt and water marks though!

Colin, as nobody seems to have mentioned the wind noise you were asking about, for what it's worth here's my experience.

I got my GS300 in May, and thought it seemed noisy. Not having driven a Lexus before I just assumed that was the way it was. However, one night I squirted the windscreen at 60mph, and noise virtually stopped for a few minutes before returning. Having made sure that it was repeatable it was then apparent there had to be a tiny leak in the windscreen seal. I bought some sealant from Halfords for a fiver and very carefully went around the whole screen. That sorted the worst of it.

There is still some wind noise from the drivers side, but I'm not 100% sure the door hasn't been off at some time. The window rattles a little and doesn' close as smoothlyas the others, so I think there's nothing to be done about that.

Finally, I have some instructions/measurements for levelling the sunroof, but I THINK they're for a Mark 1, so probably no good. I got a cd from eBay for £8.00 that's purportedly the Lexus repair manuals, which it isn't; I guess I was naieve to imagine it wouldn't be anything but a copy of something, so I can't complain. There are few useful diagrams etc, but on the whole it's pretty useless. But there is a section on sunroofs if you haven't yet sorted it and you want me to look at the salient details?

When I started reading that last one I thought you were gonna say the noise was from dead flys on the windscreen or something. On that note: has anyone here got the same loving relationship I now enjoy with Rainex? I have bought on windscreen wiper in 5 years because of it?

if it makes your screen smoother so rain blows off, it must also be quieter.

Also does anyone know how they make the side front windows rain repelant at the factory?

:zee:

The idea that the noise was coming from dead flies made me laugh, albeit the concept is a tad creepy. I've been meanig to put Rainex on again. I last used it in 1988, when it wasn't yet available in the UK. I bought it in Holland and slapped it on my rather sweet little Renault 5 GT Turbo, and convinced myself I was getting another half a mile an hour due to improved airflow.

Thanks dipstick,

I took the car to the dealer and they seem to think it needs new door seals. They have ordered them and are being fitted on Wednesday. I'm not sure, I think it comes from the windscreen. I pressed it hard in the top corner and most of the noise stopped so I think you are right about the seal. I'll let the dealer replace the seals and if that doesn't do it I'll mention the windscreen seal. I still have 2.5 month of warranty so hopefully it will be fixed by then!

I have adjusted the sunroof, it's still a bit low on one side but it's at the end of the adjustment. I may have to pack it out a bit.

I to have a CD from eBay. It has a few things on the MKII, wiring diagrams etc. but not too useful. Has anybody subscribed to ALLDATA?

Colin, I'd be interested to know what your sunroof adjustment procedure was, because I think I'd like to check mine. My instructions say to "peel back the trim at each side" (outside the car) "and there are four screws that can be adjusted hidden underneath".

Is this in essence nonsense on a Mark 2 or is this what you did? I'm loath to peel away trim if that's the wrong thing to do.

ALLDATA is too many pennies for a cheapskate like me.

The procedure is the same. Remove the side pieces of trim (just pull off but don't to too hard or you will snap them). The are two screen at each corner. One (the outer one I think) can be loosened and this allows up and down movement.

The ALLDATA DIY online is only $25 so it's not that much more than your eBay CD.

would you guys have been happy without a sunroof on the basis that you have dual zone climate control. I am just wondering if there is more down side than up?

I never use the sunroof. They give rattles and creaks etc and would prefer not to have one. Not really an issue on a GS but it also weakens the structure of the car and affects handling.

I knew a person who had a GS SE without a sunroof. Had it ordered as he needed the extra headroom.

Ah, excellent, thanks Colin. I'll have a close look at my adjustment tonight, and if that isn't a line from Carry on Write Off That Lexus I don't know what is.

Loz, yes, you're right - I never use the sunroof (also known as a moonroof for reasons that escape me. Why not an Alpha Centauri roof?), other than in pub carparks on hot days when it's quite fun to discretely press and hold the button on the remote and watch the roof and windows whizz open. Not that anyone gives a damn.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links