Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I just turned my new LS 400 around at the end of my street today and a neighbour heard something clatter. He found a locking wheelnut and cover. It soon became clear that it was off my car. When I checked, the locking wheelnut removal key, in its box, was badly damaged. My guess is that when the wheels were refurbished they damaged the key, hopefully on the last wheel, and tightened it by hand. Around 60 miles later, it fell off, at 5 mph, on my street!

My first question is that I have the adapter key box and the code, so presumably it is a simple matter to order a replacement key? My other concern is that the stud does not seem to have much depth to it, maybe just over half an inch protruding (it's too dark to check properly. Are the wheel studs on these unusually short?

The other thing is the wheel wrench is missing, unless it's hidden somewhere. Not a great start to my ownership but hopefully simple and cheap to sort out

hi

the wheel brace is in the toolkit in the boot - the length of the stud sounds about right because the nuts are a sleeve nut type so the nut grips more of the thread than can be seen

If the locking nut is damaged i would be just inclined to order a fresh set - disappointing that you have to start spending but its a small cost.

Mark

Thanks for that. The wheelbrace is indeed in the toolbox, I had thought it would be too big to go in there. The toolkit is complete and looks unused. The sleeve design makes total sense, so thank you for that. It is a new one on me, I thought they were all tapered. Not sure if the wheel nut is damaged, but the key certainly is. A new set sounds like a good idea, but I'll have to find someone who will take the old ones off. Better to get branded locking wheelnuts, do you think?

Thinking about it, I was incredibly lucky. I had checked that the locking key was in the boot before collecting the car but was trying to think of so many things to check, I did not check the condition of the key. For the nut to fall out on my street, while my neighbour was unloading shopping ( I had not heard it) was very lucky as it highlighted it. I would probably not have noticed it until I get around to washing the car, and possibly not even then. A puncture out on the road would have then turned into bit more of a drama, with no key for the other nuts. Not sure about driving with four wheelnuts out of five on one one wheel, either. Perhaps it's a good sign.

IIRC Toyota/Lexus can supply a new locknut key if you have the code for the original, chances are the locknuts themselves will be fine and this would also save the cost of forced removal of the other nuts.

Aftermarket sets of locking nuts tend to be the tapered type so unsuitable for the wheels on Lexus models.

If you give ACLex a call the club's resident parts guy he may be able to obtain and post it to you.

I have found historically, that trying to change a wheel at the side of the road is extremely challenging, the jack barely keeps the weight of the car suspended !!!! ..............in a wind you will be a bit unhappy !!

if you get a puncture, call the AA or RAC or whatever .... much simpler and safer I guess.

Malc

I've always made it my policy when buying a car since being caught out years ago. 1:Check that the locking wheel nut key is there. 2: Replace lockers with standard nuts/bolts unless the wheels are worth more than the car. 3: Chuck the lockers in the bin.

(Blimey - that was my 100th post!)

• Like 1

I've always made it my policy when buying a car since being caught out years ago. 1:Check that the locking wheel nut key is there. 2: Replace lockers with standard nuts/bolts unless the wheels are worth more than the car. 3: Chuck the lockers in the bin.

Might get a Telegram from the Queen. ( I know they don't do Telegrams any more) Will be a card instead.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links