Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Convince Me Please People...

Lexus Si

On my GS the sensitivity of the mouse controller can be reduced, this does help a little but its surprising how quickly you will get used to operating the mouse. Have a look at Set up screen/General settings/Feedback force

I forgot to mention that, but you are quite right. There's a whole host of things that can be customised/adjusted. Playtime!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for all the responses. Still undecided on colours / options to specify.

Are there any must have options to spec on an SE? Slightly disappointed that one cannot spec leather / auto wipers on an SE. It seems that Lexus might be missing a trick here as a few colleagues are attracted by the low company car tax rate but turned off by the goodies that are not available.

I've got an SE on order, but the only extras available are satnav and front rear parking sensors which I have ordered. As you know the satnav is free at the moment.

I've still a few months to wait for mine though, but at least I've had confirmation it is on order :hocus-pokus:

One other thing that is confusing me. If I opt for the Sat Nav I get a reversing camera, right?

Therefore I don't need parking sensors. I usually hit things when reversing rather than when going forwards so a rear camera would be ideal.

And what is SE spec cloth like? Is it half leather / half cloth? Velour like? The local dealer never has an SE in the showroom or any on PDI that I can check over.

Thanks again people. This is one really friendly forum.

DTH,

If you can, get the sensors as well. The reverse camera is great, but a wee bit deceptive in terms of distance. Also, you could be really unlucky and receive a call while reversing or some such, which cancels the camera but not the censors.

I have leather but had a courtesy with cloth. It's fine actually - it's half leather anyway so it looks the part.

If I were you, I'd see if you can negotiate it down - there's no way you should pay full price for them.

But in truth, if they won't be budged, you'll survive without either!

DTH, the camera is good when it's daylight and dry. Not so good when pitch black and raining. The parking guidance is unavailable quite often at the moment which means the camera still shows a blurry image but you don't get guidelines. I assume that's the conditions rather than a fault. I have the sensors as well and reckon its a worthwhile safeguard. Having said that I never really needed sensors before they were commonplace. Hope this helps.

One other thing that is confusing me. If I opt for the Sat Nav I get a reversing camera, right?

Therefore I don't need parking sensors. I usually hit things when reversing rather than when going forwards so a rear camera would be ideal.

And what is SE spec cloth like? Is it half leather / half cloth? Velour like? The local dealer never has an SE in the showroom or any on PDI that I can check over.

Thanks again people. This is one really friendly forum.

I'm on the same boat I think, so I'll post my considerations, though theoretical as still waiting for delivery. After lots for thinking I went for camera only, and no sensors, should work just fine for me, the only problem might be in bad weather and low-light conditions - not sure how quickly the lens attracts dust and dirt. I mean I could deal with somewhat blurry picture, if it's still a picture not a black screen. Will see.

As for non-leather upholstery it's not velour-like or alcantara. It's basically leather-like stuff only smelling plastic instead of bovine and probably less durable too.

DTH, the camera is good when it's daylight and dry. Not so good when pitch black and raining. The parking guidance is unavailable quite often at the moment which means the camera still shows a blurry image but you don't get guidelines. I assume that's the conditions rather than a fault. I have the sensors as well and reckon its a worthwhile safeguard. Having said that I never really needed sensors before they were commonplace. Hope this helps.

Have you tried adjusting the camera via settings? I've never found it unusable in 6 years. Worst I've had is a drop of water or snow which I've just knocked off. The guidelines have never disappeared either.

• 1 month later...

I've just spent 3 years in a Merc c220CDI Bluefficiency diesel and it averaged 40.5 mpg doing a mixed set of journeys. At best I achieved 48 mpg on a steady motorway run. I have just taken delivery of the Lexus IS hybrid and it's a dream to drive, much quieter and smoother than the Merc which was noisier at all speeds and had much firmer seats. In my opinion there's no comparison to the Lexus for comfort and quality. Yet to see what real life mpg is but the Lexus is moving up through 38 mpg with still only 75 miles on the engine. Once it's run in I expect a lot better.

• 3 months later...

Greetings from the original poster. Well, it's here. SE with premium nav in sonic titanium.

First impressions were "Why is everything buried so deep behind the user interface?" Although after having a play with the haptic feedback on the mouse I'm not now so hit and miss. I don't like the radio, rather I don't like the radio display. I love seeing what track is playing but the screen does not seem to show the full artist and title on the DAB radio, instead half the screen is taken up with settings and presets.

MPG wise, she arrived with 120 miles on the clock at an average of 56 mpg and I've doubled the mileage and managed to sneak it up to 57 mpg.

It certainly draws attention in a sea of dark metallic 3-series / A4's / C-Class in the office car park!

Many thanks for all your help since the turn of the year in making me make the right choice

Glad you're pleased with it and great exterior colour choice! What's the interior? If only Lexus could poach some apple trained geeks and turn the user interface into something that doesn't require a super memory... how did I do that again??? Where's the setting for that?? And so on..

Enjoy!

If only Lexus could poach some Apple trained geeks and turn the user interface into something that doesn't require a super memory... how did I do that again??? Where's the setting for that?? And so on..

or just give up and give us CarPlay support :)

If only Lexus could poach some Apple trained geeks and turn the user interface into something that doesn't require a super memory... how did I do that again??? Where's the setting for that?? And so on..

or just give up and give us CarPlay support :)

Just had a quick read on the apple site. Sounds like a cracking idea. I wonder what the odds are?

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Shame I'm an Android 'boy' then. I'll give it a couple of months and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I'm mid 40's and in IT so too old to RTFM (Read the Flipping / F***king Manual). I just wish there was a IS300h guide for idiots out there on the internet!

Any school boy errors / tips / tricks would be appreciated. Even though the old Merc was 3 years old there were certain things that they did better especially around the Sat Nav / Phone / Speech recognition (even though I'm broad Northern) / Information display, and this is me who used to have the first generation IS back in 2001 when Mercs used to rust in front of your eyes.

Very impressed with the fit and finish though, I quite like the 'leather' topped dash and although the seats are thin there's a plushness to them that I hope lasts over time.

I'll keep you posted on the next couple of trips. Probably in the other topics about MPG or range.

One thing though .... I need a name for the young girl. Call me soft in the head but if you give a car a name it sort of makes it personal and you can put up with certain idiosyncracies... the youngest child has suggested Suzi. Any advances on Suzi?

One thing though .... I need a name for the young girl. Call me soft in the head but if you give a car a name it sort of makes it personal and you can put up with certain idiosyncracies... the youngest child has suggested Suzi. Any advances on Suzi?

Oh please don't do that..... it took Lexus years developing a car to persuade me that leaving bmw and mercedes behind could be achieved without becoming Alan Partridge......

:hehe:

Agree about the radio display being rather poor. I tend to connect to Dab via the steering wheel and then just cycle through my presets.

However I absolutely love the Speech Recognition for the iPod, OK it can be a little long winded but just say the Album, Artis, Song, Playlist etc etc and then say Play and off it goes. Don't even take my eyes off the road for a 2nd. Handles my Northern (NW) Twang quite comfortably.

How are you doing the voice commands with an IPod BBlue? I've got my IPod Classic 160gb connected by USB and Play Music voice command is greyed out. I tried speaking it and the voice prompt came back saying it couldnt do it as no music was recognised on the device ?!?

Izzie it is ... Thanks. I've got 3 girls so she had to have a girls name.

First proper run out (270 miles there and back) and the overall mpg has now stabilised at 57.3 mpg. Thank God for those 50 mph roadworks on the M1 near Sheffield. Filled her up and got 692 miles remaining on the calculator.

Another run out tomorrow to Bournemouth and back .... the heady days and high life of an IT consultant eh?

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. I know I've done the right thing and my hands don't stink of diesel any more. Much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links