Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaving Car On Drive For One Month While On My Hols.

Ok, so this years holiday is a months stay in the USA flying around and driving about the place.

But i,v only ever left the car on the drive for 2 weeks at a time while away, so was wondering what i really should be doing to her before i leave as not to come home and find locked brakes, flats spots on tyres and rusty disc's.

i have a cheap-o car cover that can be tied down to the car to help keep the heavy crap and birds bombs of it, but what else should i be doing too?

It's a 2001 Lexus IS200 BTW.

Cheers in advanced.

Left mine for 6 weeks in Feb and March this year. Handbrake/Footbrake off, in Park and connected to an AA Solar Charger plugged into the OBD11 socket.

No problems at all; fired up instantly.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Regards

John

• Like 1

The Battery should cope fine if it's in good condition. The biggest concern would probably be the potential for the calipers seizing up - if there's any underlying problems with them, a long period of inactivity might finish them off.

That's what happened in my case when I was unable to drive my car much over the winter and had to leave it parked-up for long periods.

When it was MOT'd in December, a slight fluctuation in the braking performance was flagged-up as an advisory, and sure enough, when I could finally drive my car again on a regular basis (in March), the brakes were sticking and the pedal was juddering, which, in turn, LED to a pair of warped discs and ruined pads.

disconnect Battery? if your not disconnecting Battery.

Turn off auto lights and interior sensor.

To turn off interior alarm sensors toggle door lock button (on driver door panel) three times or until security light on speedo flashes fast.

If your car is maintained properly you should have no problems, I ride a motorbike so my car is often parked up for anything from two to maybe six weeks at a time without any problem....... The Battery might be the only thing so stefans advice sounds good to me and maybe leave the handbrake off, the solar panel idea also seems good to me......enjoy your travels.....

Allan

Cheers of all the feedback and good comms, so nothing to really worry about.

Ill wash n wax her before i set off, gonna give the keys to my mate to driver her round the block 2-3 times while i'm away.

Cheers, Martin.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links