Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's your thoughts on this one...

Driving to work today I had the VSC check / engine and traction light lit up.

It was a dry warm morning (not rained for 24 hours) Journey to work is 6 miles and this happened at around 3 miles into journey on a downward slope.

There was no noticeable difference to the drive other than the lights being on so I carried on to work with approx. 3 miles travelled.

I parked up / turned engine off for a minute or so then turned car back on with no issue but the lights were still on. Turned off and went to work.

I was low on fuel with around 78 miles range left so at dinnertime I took it round to the local Shell garage (lights still on) and put £50 in. Approx one mile later the lights went off !?

There's no noticeable difference to the way it drives at all - no noise / smell etc. This is the first time I have experienced this.

I am trying to work this one out - First - The last fill up was at a local Texaco garage, not through any reason other than I needed petrol and the garage was on the way. This is the first time I have used petrol from there. Anyone think that because the car was low on fuel and with using this "one time fill up" that the car did not agree with the fuel - bear in mind the lights came on going downhill and I had also used practically a full tank of this fuel?

Secondly - I had experienced brake judder the past couple of weeks through the car seat (not the steering or brake pedal) when braking but coming home from work today after the lights had gone out there was no judder when braking - maybe a placebo affect but I will monitor it over the next week. The rear discs need doing which I have been kind of putting off but will be ordering the discs and pads tonight so can get these done in the next week or so.

I have bought a Bluetooth ODBII reader today from eBay so I can keep it plugged into the car to monitor it (TORQUE ELM 327 Bluetooth BT OBD2 OBDII CAR DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER CODE READER) I will also need to connect this to an app on my phone or pc.

I would also like to buy a hand unit reader and have been looking on eBay for one - would the following item be ok for scanning for faults? LEXUS IS GS LS RX CS TC OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS FAULT CODE READER SCANNER

Also - anyone know where the socket is in the cabin to plug these in?

I think the socket is below the steering wheel, just up under the abs cover at shin level.

If anyone knows different please shout and I'll go and sit in the corner.

it will be interesting the see what error code(s) are stored once you get your reader. The socket should be located below the steering wheel probably just above the pedals. The ODBII spec states it has to be within 1 metre of the steering wheel and accessible without removing panels so you should be able to find it quite easily, you may just have to put your head in the footwell to see it.

No need to sit in the corner Normski

The reader socket is under the steering column just above the footwell light protected by a black plastic cover with OBD II printed on it. You will have to lie on your back to find it.

While I had my head in the "well" I noticed a round black switch under the accelerator pedal - definitely a switch as it clicks when pressing - just about over an inch in diameter.

Anyone know what this is? (car is an auto)

there is a pressure sensor in the fuel tank. If your fuel cap is not tight it can throw up Check VSC. After refueling you would have re-tightened it so the VSC light went away.

Hi Shepherd

I actually thought of that when the lights went out but when I undone the petrol cap it sucked in a lot of air but not ruling anything out.... It does answer the problem well though

I will get the scanner on it when it comes to see if it has recorded a fault

* UPDATE *

Since Friday after the dashboards lights went off, the car stood for Saturday and Sunday in the drive. Came to use it Monday to get to work and same again, 9 miles into the drive this time, the lights came on (I was going to our other depot 12 miles away)

Again they went off when I got in it to go home.

The scanner came today and I have just used it to find the fault code - I must say that this is an excellent piece of kit for £9 and a £2 app ... it connects to the car using my Nexus tablet via Bluetooth. You can also connect via PC and phone but not apple. It reports on a host of engine systems, coolant, temps, revs etc Will have a play later when I have a bit more time.

Anyway - I have a reported fault it has brought up (just the one)

P0031 - POWERTRAIN HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

I believe this is located in the engine bay on the passenger side...I have not had a proper look yet but will this be an easy fix for myself or does it need a vesuit to Lexus?

Also, in driving the car with this intermittent fault will it cause any damage - will it just be using more fuel?

thanks

air/fuel ratio sensors are fairly easy to change, you just need the correct socket with the slit in it to allow the cable to pass through.

I would recommend using a Denso sensor, unfortunately they don't seem to list a direct OEM replaced in Europe - only a universal fit sensor where you have to reuse the existing wiring/connector.

You could purchase from the US where Denso do sell an OEM sensor ( I would recommend rockauto.com), alternatively purchase the sensor directly from Lexus but that will probably cost you over £200 compared to around £100 if importing from the US (including shipping and tax)

Thanks Colin

I am looking for a sensor tool at the moment as I don't want to use an open head spanner in case the sensors on too tight and I destroy the nut on the sensor - I believe they are 22mm sized, is that right?

Also there does not seem to be any information regarding the replacement of this sensor around on the web - if I am doing it I will put up some pictures as a "how to guide" There are a few pictures of the location of this sensor on the web but the ones I have found have contradicted each other. On a UK car (looking at the engine from the front of the car) what side would I find the Bank 1 Sensor 1 on and is it easily accessable from the engine bay - I would have a look but its raining cats and dogs at the moment.

Are the left and right sensors the same - if I found a right one would that fit the left side and visa versa ?

The left and right "sensor 1" sensors are the same.

The lexus part is 89467-30040

The denso branded part number is 234-9051

Personally, if 1 has gone, I'd replace both at the same time - if you get the denso ones, they're not that expensive. Plus both sensors will have been exposed to teh same fuel, same driving conditions, etc. so if one has worn out, the other may not be far behind.

Thanks Mark

I have ordered 2 from the USA - Cost for the two Denso's was £135 including postage. Just need to see what duty I will be hit with, think it will come to a further £50 making the cost for the two at £185. I don't think that's too bad. Like you said, it makes sense doing them both. I bought the 234-9051, same for both sides.

Could not find any at all in the UK - there's some on amazon USA but they wont ship these to the UK. Would be a good idea for people with these cars that are travelling to the USA to pick up a few and bring them back with them.

The expected delivery date is around the 21st of August (end of next week) If I drive it up to that point am I likely to cause any serious damage? The Check VSC is coming on and going off so I think the sensor may be on its way out but not dead yet?

Thanks for the advise/info - if I can manage to fit myself I will post up some pictures

getting parts for the lexus is a joke in England, cant believe it.

why is it so bad or why can parts not be got from mainland europe, is the lexus so poorly represented here?

spark plugs and general bits are all usa jobs it seems

Thanks Mark

I have ordered 2 from the USA - Cost for the two Denso's was £135 including postage. Just need to see what duty I will be hit with, think it will come to a further £50 making the cost for the two at £185. I don't think that's too bad. Like you said, it makes sense doing them both. I bought the 234-9051, same for both sides.

Could not find any at all in the UK - there's some on Amazon USA but they wont ship these to the UK. Would be a good idea for people with these cars that are travelling to the USA to pick up a few and bring them back with them.

The expected delivery date is around the 21st of August (end of next week) If I drive it up to that point am I likely to cause any serious damage? The Check VSC is coming on and going off so I think the sensor may be on its way out but not dead yet?

Thanks for the advise/info - if I can manage to fit myself I will post up some pictures

Where did you purchase them from? I recommended Rock Auto because they offer excellent shipping options so you could have got the parts within a couple of days and also they allow you to pay the import duty up front on their site so you know exactly how much you will pay and you don't get charged for Royal Mail or other courier 'handling' fees to get it through customs.

You will be fine running the car for another week or so.

Hi Colin

I ordered these two from aimsautoparts

I had a look at Rock Auto but they were quoting 29th of August for delivery and were a bit dearer by £20 for the two.

I have had email notification today that they have been despatched with an expected date of 20th for delivery. We'll see.

I definitely need to do the faulty one - US web sites were reporting that its located on the passenger side but I guess that make sense now as they are left hand drive - not had a chance to look at the location of it yet or what I need to remove to get to it. Will have a look at the weekend

Depending on how easy the other one is I may do that one as well when they arrive,

Found both sensor locations - bank 1 looks very easy to replace (10 minute job if it comes off easy)- bank 2 looks easy but will need to remove some parts to get to it. Its a job for the bank holiday !

Parts will cost £200 max - why do Lexus charge over £600 to replace these? Criminal !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links