Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hiya all! I'm new to this forum, currently residing on the sister TOC forum.

The time has come for me to hopefully move toward's ownership of a GS or LS. I would prefer a GS and am looking for around the 1996 age of either model. My main need's are obviously a good service history and a fairly low mileage.

What i'm really after (without babling on too much) is any advice that can be offered. Like what things to look for etc.

Thanks all in advance, and I hope this forum is as interesting as the TOC one, cause I intend on staying here all being well!!

if you are looking for a 1996 car it ain't gonna be from a dealer as they wont approve it.

best things to be wary of are:

dodgy owner - if you think he/she is dodgy the car will not be worth the risk

dodgy brakes - any judderunder light braking may mean warped discs...£200 front pair and pads from gold discount.

wheels - If you are buying a GS Sport be sure you are happy with thw wheels. some are huge and require very pricy tyres.

Cambelt service - due at 63k. be sure you are happy with the evidence of this

radio code - be sure to get this as Lexus charge you £40 if you ever have to get it from them!

cooling system - make sure the waterpump is quiet. pump replacement is about £150

abs/vsc/tc - make sure all work as its big money to fix//replace...

enjoy your new car when you get it!

Loz

*** dammit, that one for sale sounds real nice!! Problem is, it's a bit over my budget unfortunately :angry:

Will be looking for around the 5 to 6 grand mark, and probably not a sport. I'm only 25 so have gotta watch it either way. I wasn't aware that the prices were so high though for parts! I kinda thought they would still be fairly cheap to run after owning my Avensis, maybe just more fuel for obvious reasons.

I've picked up that brakes are a problem on them and can wear fairly quickly. Do they suffer with any electrical gremlins? And what about the auto box's? Naturally it will be an auto.

The reason I want one is just mainly cause I wanna do it at least once in my life, and have always prided myself on having cars that are different to the norm like BMW's and stuff. I just can't make myself like them! For some reason, the Lexus just says reliability to me. And BMW just says, ok it's German but not as good as everone makes them out to be.

Thanks for all the replys. Keep them coming!!

Stu

That one is in mint condition. You will find others in your price range. They are fairly cheap to run as they are reliable. Brakes don't seem to be a problem on the series I models and the gearboxes are fine.

Just check everything works and that the service history is there, including cam belt changes.

Loz.

Great advice mate. Dodgy owner, Dodgy Brakes :D Im glad you weren't with me when I met and married mine.

Im curious now. Hows this for a new member question.

Go back to July last year and I turn up on the forum with this question. How would you answer me....

Hi everyone. I've found a MK1 GS in a scrappy. Its been crashed and repaired, has no documents and the VIN plate is missing. Its on the HPI register as well and its in Liverpool. should I buy it? :P .

The rest is just awesome memories but what would have been your advice? :offtopic:

Re registered due to the tech problems but never mind !

I picked mine up at £6900 for N plate with 49750 miles on full Lexus history 1 owner

Money spent on tyres ( ouch take the previous post regarding 18 wheels )

54000 service about £300 including freeing the brakes off plus new viscous fan, so in reality total cost about £7800 to have it running nice

It can be done but a lot I went to see were getting tired at the 5/6k mark, probably meaning you'll spend at least 1k to get it all right, could be a false economy --Best of luck and hold out for a goodun

Cheers

Rich

my advice to would be to go for a high mileage vehicle (make sure it has full main dealer service history) and with the biggest spec you can get, the reason being you are only 25 and for 5-6k you'll only pick up an 300s or if your lucky an se, you will get bored of it quickly (because of the image and your age) or I would wait for the 'IS' to come down in value or seek an alternative, i.e. 3 series or merc c class, i think you need something sporty at your age, you don't want people to think you are driving your dads car.

Thanks again folks. Was getting worried then with all of you starting to run the costs down! As for Mercedes, i'm sorry but I just can't make myself like them. I love Toyota's, and am really pleased with my Avensis. It's just so stupidly reliable and cheap to run. In fact running my last Ford fiesta cost more!!

I have looked around at other cars, but I happen to like luxury cars and BMW/Merc can't cut it unless you pay mega bucks. They seem hard riding with rather hard seats. I know i'm only 25, but i've never been into sporty cars. One of my previous cars was a citroen xm with all the kit. So you can see I like them to be a little different to the norm. Why be dull and follow the crowd?

keep em comin!!

Cheers! :D

:offtopic:

A citroen XM. 

Been there, Owned one , Loved it.

I think it is a stunning looking car and the drive is superb........But then how you can take me serious.. I have a TR7 [but its got a v8 in it now  ]

Wow, you actually liked it randyreindeer? I'm glad, cause that means that i'm at least in the right place and my need for a Lexus can be appreciated! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links