Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Ingress In Rear Foot Well

There is suddenly a large amount of water in the passenger side rear foot well (it has literally become a well !!) in my LS400 ('99)

I had parked at a 45 degree camber (right to left not fore and aft) in a hotel car park and I noticed the water the next day. Any thoughts

as to where this has come from ? The boot interior is dry but as yet I have not investigated the spare wheel area. If it is the spare wheel

well are there drainage holes that might have become blocked ? Any ideas gratefully received.

Also worth checking the door rubbers around the doors (all of them not just passenger) as these will perish over time.

I owned my LS400 for 13 years and 230k miles and the only rubber I ever had to replace was for the boot when water started to gather in that. Thankfully caught it early enough to avoid any serious issues.

Hopefully nothing too serious for you but best to sort it as weather getting colder now.

Looks like the nearside front or rear of the four sunroof drains are blocked,there is a drain on each corner.The sunroof is not and never was designed to be water tight so a metal pan sits under it to catch any water ingress, this is then drained by plastic pipes.

If the car is normally parked on a level plain one of the drains is sufficient to allow escape of water from the sunroof pan. The fact your car was parked in a position that allowed access to only two of the drains on the nearside means one of them or even both are blocked by muck and detritus

The water as oveflowed the pan and run down the interior of the ceiling panel then down the interior of the side panels into the footwell.

Remedy;

Feed a thin wire through the plastic pipe that exits in the boot side compartment.

That will clear the back.

The front is a little bit harder to get at because the pipe exits through the crumple zone the front wing sits on and the exit is hidden up inside the wing, the entrance to the top of the pipe is really tight in at the front corner of the sunroof .

• Like 2

I just popped a short length of semi hard flexi washing line ( or summat like that ) into each of the four holes and that dislodged enough debris to make them flow freely again.

Malc

• Like 3

I test my sunroof drains by gently pouring water in to each corner, with the roof open of course, then checking under the car to see it emerge, at the corresponding corner.

Obviously, if one or more remains dry, then you know where to look.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links