Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Winter Driving Tips?

adnewton

With the colder weather setting in & this being my first winter in the CT, was wondering if anyone had any good tips on driving a Hybrid in ice & snow?

I would imagine ECO mode would be best as it slows down throttle response, therefore should prevent wheel spin.

Anyone with any tips ( Do's & Don'ts ) from last winter??

I didn't notice any problems last winter but living in cheshire we don't get much snow, ice or hills.

As with any car make sure your windows are clear (don't scrape the frost off and scratch the windows, warm water is best) and use throttle and brake gently. Eco mode may help.

Some people like winter tyres. Not used them myself but they are supposed to be better than having normal tyres and 4 wheel drive. Don't forget the CT is front wheel drive so won't be so tail happy as our rear wheel drive friends.

Just respect the conditions and you'll be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

at my dealer the other day i asked about the traction control button on the new ct's and if it could be retro fitted and was told no, they recommended to use sport mode in bad conditions when moving off i know it sounds strange , in the eco mode if wheel spin is detected then the power will be cut so by using sport the power wont be cut as early , you can then go back into eco once moving its just the moving off that you can find awkward

at my dealer the other day i asked about the traction control button on the new ct's and if it could be retro fitted and was told no, they recommended to use sport mode in bad conditions when moving off i know it sounds strange , in the eco mode if wheel spin is detected then the power will be cut so by using sport the power wont be cut as early , you can then go back into eco once moving its just the moving off that you can find awkward

Would that still be the case if you turn off traction control?

In the snow and ice, I just try to avoid anything other than the smoothest application of the either the stop or go pedals and also the steering wheel. Traction is the key at all times. The 4x4 crowd make me smile sometimes they know they have 4 wheel drive but forget that we all have 4 wheel brakes. Four wheel drive helps you to go but is only of limited use in helping you to stop.

M+S tyres seemed to help in the distant past, the modern day winter tyres definitely help with traction due to better coefficient of friction.

I have never been able to afford the expense of winter tyres; you pay to put them on and you pay to take them off, they wear out much quicker and are only actually needed only a small percentage of the time. If I had enough money to spare, I would use them, if I had enough money , I would just own season dedicated vehicles...... Snowcat anyone? :driving:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links