Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Your Thoughts/comments Will Be Appreciated....

Hello ganzoom, I have just got back to this thread (it was me who started it and so I am the OP) I think that if you re-read the thread you will find that it has gone off-track at some point because at no time have I ever tried to compare the IS300h with a 135i (I've never even come across a 135i).

In fact I have not tried to compare the car to anything else, I was merely seeking members/owners thoughts on a comment that I had spotted in a review.

Hello ganzoom, I have just got back to this thread (it was me who started it and so I am the OP) I think that if you re-read the thread you will find that it has gone off-track at some point because at no time have I ever tried to compare the IS300h with a 135i (I've never even come across a 135i).

In fact I have not tried to compare the car to anything else, I was merely seeking members/owners thoughts on a comment that I had spotted in a review.

Hi Geoff, i would say go and test drive one and make up your own mind about an IS300h. when it comes to noise levels and performance of a car, its comes down to individual taste. what one might find noisy another might not. same applies to performance one might find a car slow whilst another might find it adequate for all their driving needs.

And not sure why people were comparing a 335i and 135i's to the IS300h. for starters the IS300h is not in that league and has to be compared to a 325d. yes on paper a 2014 325d M sport 214bhp cost about the same as an IS300h F-sport around the £35,000 mark both return around 60mpg on combined cycle so we can all agree this model is the best BMW to make a comparison with?

yes the 325d is lighter around 120kg lighter(this is a lot of weight) than the F-Sport and which translates to it being quicker and with more top speed but thats where it ends as i wont for one sec think a BMW diesel will be more refined than a Lexus petrol so if a driver prefers to have a nice relaxed quite cabin on thier day to day driving then for sure the 300h beats any BMW diesel. road tax also cost £10 for the year for the 300h whilst the 325d is £110 for the year. again £100 saving for 300h driver. other things like reliability hasn't been thrown in but even my dog knows a Lexus is and will be more reliable than a BMW. but saying that, it all depends on how an owner looks after their vehicle. so a decision for one to choose a 300h over 325d or vice versa will all depend on what one puts as a priority in their car. they both cost about the same so if refinement, reliability and road tax is a prioty then IS300h beats an equivalent BMW and if performance is a priority the the BMW beats an equivalently priced IS300h. all boils down to what an individual wants form their car.

And yes there is a Lexus which can be compared to a BMW 335i but sadly its not available in the UK. everyone knows its the IS350 since they cost about the same, they both make around the same HP and have around the same 0-60mph and top speed in stock form so not sure why a 3 litre twin turbo 310bhp was being compared to a 2.5litre 4 cylinder 220 bhp hybrid??

No doubt the BMW is a fast car and if you want a fast car it’s a great choice ( I tested the 335i) If you don’t then other factors influence your choice of car, perhaps it’s my age (55) but outright performance no longer interests me especially these days of camera’s and congestion. My commute involves a few junctions on the M1 which I tackle on the inside lane in a gap between the trucks at about 62mph (they don’t catch you up and you don’t catch them up !!), turn on the cruise, turn up the Levison and watch all the others cars ducking and diving in the outer lanes – great fun.

But seriously the IS300h suits my driving style, I love the exclusivity, the engineering quality/thoughtfulness and the fact the hybrid system is different, interesting and potentially very economical. We are all different and it depends on what you want most from your car.

Thank you for the welcome back David (DJP)

Well, for starters then, absolute and utter disappointment............no no no, not with the car but with the fact that the test drive did not work out as planned i'm afraid. Circumstances dictated that I was unable to make use of the car for the day but, I did manage to drive it for 12 miles or so and I absolutely loved it.

The car, an Executive model, white with black leather, was a total dream to even just sit in let alone drive it. A couple of things that I found when driving, firstly, I found it a little strange the way that the indicators worked, where in mine you just lift or push down the lever which clicks into place and stays there whilst the flashers are going and then they cancel having made the turn, with the 300h it was a case of just flicking the lever up or down and it returned to its original position even though the flashers were flashing. I got used to that quite quickly.

The stereo sounded extremely good. I managed to get on a stretch of road where I was able to toe it for a while and I must admit that there was plenty there as far as my needs go, in fact I was quite impressed really. I'm getting on a bit now and don't drive everywhere like a madman but I do like to know that I can get a move on when necessary.

The other thing that I found that I'm sure that I will get used to was the sort of whining sound from the car when slowing down, it is obviously something to do with the electric motor but, it did sound a little odd at first.

Anyway, I have to go out urgently now but I will be back.

i had a feeling you would like it so the start of your post had me going!! What a shame you only had 12 miles, but in a way sometimes you know straight away if something is right or not.

I agree with the indicators, I believe the thinking behind it is for lane changing on motorways, it defaults to 3 flashes but the dealer can adjust to 5. Not sure if it can be turned off but as you say, soon get used to it and actually I find it quite useful..

The "whine" on slowing down is indeed the motor, something to do with the regeneration of energy. Someone clever (cue ColinBarber) will be able to explaoin properly.

It has more mid range power than the 250, don't know whether you had the opportunity to use the Sport mode, that certainly adds some to it when you want to put an upstart in his place!

Hi again David, yes I did get to give the 'Sport' mode a bit of a go and I was suitable pleased with the experience. I did notice quite a distinct 'throaty' sound whilst accelerating, at least it was different to the sound whilst driving 'normally'/

Although it was a relatively short period 'test drive' I have to say that it is definitely the car that I want to aim for. Having looked at the interiors of quite a number of other makes, I do find the Lexus is far more appealing to me.

Funny thing this morning, I walked into a shop and tripped up a step as I didn't notice the 'MIND THE STEP' notice as I was looking at the chap who was holding the door open for me. We exchanged pleasantries and each went about our business. Fifteen minutes later I was walking back to my car and there was the same chap sitting in a beautiful red IS300h Premier and so I tapped the window and got chatting to him again. he has had the car for 12 months and he is part exchanging it at the end of December as he is getting an NX300h as it will be easier to get into and out of. The car has only got 4000miles on the clock. Lucky chappie eh!

The only thing that will stop me getting the IS will be the finance side of things. It seems that I can get a top spec CT for the price of an entry level IS and I'm a bit of a fan of all the 'extras' I'm having a go at selling my 250 myself at the moment and so I'll see how that goes.

That's funny, I've had my 300 for a bit over a year and was considering trading in for the NX. I didn't pursue it once I saw the figures though. Too big a hit on mine. Don't ask because I can't remember, I just know it didn't hang together.

The "throaty" noise you heard was the ASC - audio sound control (or something like that). It's basically fake engine noise the level of which you can adjust. It must have been turned on, although in Normal it's not very noticable, put it into Sport and it increases. A bit gimmicky but can actually be a bit of a laugh.

I know what you mean about the toys, but personally I couldn't have the CT, chalk and cheese IMO.

Good luck with the sale!

Pleased, and not surprised, to see you liked the car Geoff. Similar thing happened to me, except I changed from a diesel. My 'test drive' was as a courtesy car for 8 hours (not all spent driving of course) whilst mine in for service and I just had to have one. Numbers didn't stack up initially - and still don't really - but glad I made the change as it is a much more refined car in terms of space, layout and feel. As recorded elsewhere, some things could be improved but DJP has put it more eloquently than I would when comparing interior to competitors.

The indicators will take some getting used to but aren't most cars built that way now?

In terms of numbers stacking up, tax saving is great - even better if you do low mileage - and I would advise a real world fuel cost based on low 40s. That is my average for mixed motoring and around 10 to 15% better than the diesel. Long A road runs at steady 40 should return over 50.

By the way, performance and noise levels perfectly acceptable for me and my passengers.

Good point about the economy factor as I was factoring in my petrol and tax saving too. I have literally halved by petrol bill from what I was spending on the 250. The £10 road tax is a delight too!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

As this car/model has only been around for some 18 months or so, there hasn't been the time for the 'used' market to see a substantial drop in forecourt prices.

I really would have liked to have got myself a 'Premier' version so that I could get most of the bells and whistles. I'm a big fan of the dipping wing mirrors when engaging reverse, plus the reversing camera of course. I can do without the electrically adjusted seats as it is only me who will drive the car (my wife might have the occasional go) but, I do like the heated and cooled versions though. The car must have SatNav and a decent sound system, mainly for when my wife is in the car with me as generally I listen mainly to 'talk radio'.

My finances will probably dictate that I go for the 'Executive' version. Am I correct in thinking that the model range is SE - Luxury - Executive - Premier?

It will probably be February before I can actually be in a position to buy, and so I am thinking that with the new registration being due on March 1st there might just be some good offers on the table at that point. This will give me more of a chance to sell my 250 but, if it doesn't go I will do a P/X at that time.

In the meantime I will trawl the internet and keep abreast of what's about.

Thanks to all for the great input to this thread, it's been a great read, even though it veered off line a bit at one stage!

Used prices are very strong at moment, if your after a premier car with around 5k on the clock they are only £1-2k cheaper than buying brand new from a web based source like carwow or drivethedeal. We normally go for 12-18months old

cars when buying but with the IS300H, because the colour combination my wife want is so rare, sonic titanium with ivory leather, and strong residues we're going to buy new instead....only complaint is having to wait ages for build than shipping from Japan. But that's a complaint :)

As this car/model has only been around for some 18 months or so, there hasn't been the time for the 'used' market to see a substantial drop in forecourt prices.

I keep hearing this yet there are good value cars available for sale. For example is one is around £13k less than list price with less than 12,000 miles on the clock.

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-IS/IS-300h/2.5-Luxury/Derby/3627528-604615028-1913663.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

I will be looking for a car with the lighter coloured leather interior. I'm not a fan of black leather at all I'm afraid.

It was just an example of what is available. There aren't many light coloured interior vehicles about but there are some to the Lexus website for £25k which is still a large saving over new.

Yes it looks as though my budget is going to be £25K to £26K, I might just find a little more by the time I'm ready to buy.

I mentioned in #62 above that I was hoping that there might be some good used offers available just prior to the new registration in March, does this tend to be the case or is it wishful thinking on my part?

I mentioned in #62 above that I was hoping that there might be some good used offers available just prior to the new registration in March, does this tend to be the case or is it wishful thinking on my part?

Probably wishful thinking I'm afraid unless you are willing to settle for showroom vehicles which will mean you don't get to choose trim colours etc. If you order new you need to wait a couple of months for it to arrive so you would need to start negotiating soon.

Yes it looks as though my budget is going to be £25K to £26K, I might just find a little more by the time I'm ready to buy.

Used prices are usually based on the time of year. You can get some pretty hefty deals during November and December especially if the dealer is wanting to get more sales to meet their targets.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links