Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Headlamp On/off

alpine

According to the manual, my dealer should be able to adjust the threshold of the auto headlamp on feature. As delivered, this seems to be set too high for my tastes. Does anyone know where this adjustment is please?

I asked my dealer (albeit on my GS) and they knew how, and did it for free. There are three settings and I altered it so they come on earlier. I also had them change the boot opening behaviour - it now opens on a single quick press of the key fob, rather than having to hold it down for a few seconds.

Tell them they need to alter the C-BEST settings I think.

According to the manual, my dealer should be able to adjust the threshold of the auto headlamp on feature. As delivered, this seems to be set too high for my tastes. Does anyone know where this adjustment is please?

C-BEST setting. Only dealers can alter these and most will do it for free.

Mmmm.... Thanks for the info, oh dear, I hate modern cars. Why can't they have a nice pot to adjust!!

The problem if the dealer has to do it is you presumably have to go there at the right light level..

Mmmm.... Thanks for the info, oh dear, I hate modern cars. Why can't they have a nice pot to adjust!!

The problem if the dealer has to do it is you presumably have to go there at the right light level..

No, there are just three "positions" and they are set at medium at the factory. So you can either make 'em turn on "a bit earlier" or "a bit later", that's all.

Ah, thanks Dipstick.

I don't know whether all Lexus dealers do it, but mine offers free car washes on Saturday on the basis they never seen their customers unless they do! I'll have to pop in.

I asked my dealer (albeit on my GS) and they knew how, and did it for free. There are three settings and I altered it so they come on earlier. I also had them change the boot opening behaviour - it now opens on a single quick press of the key fob, rather than having to hold it down for a few seconds.

do you think its better having your boot release on single press instead of holding it down for a few seconds? Have you ever accidentaly opened your boot because of this mod?

do you think its better having your boot release on single press instead of holding it down for a few seconds? Have you ever accidentaly opened your boot because of this mod?

I have opened mine while on tinternet, only knew about it when a neigbour knocked on my door and said "do you know your boot has been open for over an hour?"

and i have to hold my button down for 3 secs

cannot immagine how many times it would be found open if it was a quick press

The C-BEST settings for the boot are:

off - key will not open boot

0.8 seconds hold (default)

single press

double press

For the auto lights there are 5 settings:

dark2, dark1, normal, light1, light2. Default is normal

These are GS C-BEST setting on US models but there may be differences for UK models.

I bow to Colin on his assertion that there are in fact 5 settings for the lights; my Lexus dealer explicitly told me there were three however, so either there is a UK/US difference or the dealer is wrong. However, whatever they did, my lights now come on a bit more sensibly.

As to the boot opening, no, I've never opened it inadvertantly, and I find it easier to just press it quickly when I have an armful of shopping. My boot, however, does not fly open (or even move at all - it just clicks free and then it can be lifted. You'd never know it was open at all unles you tried to lift it.

I don't know whether that's the springs or whether it's behaviour by design on the GS.

rusty, unless things were different on the 99 cars, here's the quote from my 2004 manual, page 42:

"Third clickstop-AUTO"

"The operating condition or sensitivity can be changed. Ask any Lexus dealer or repairer, or another duly qualified professional, for details."

Comparing the Lexus specs, I don't think that the IS does have "CBEST", but it's certainly got a central microprocessor system somewhere driving everything, so I assume the setting is probably done by this.

Very useful, thanks PK! It does confirm the 5 levels of setting. It also appears that this is handled via manufacturer specific codes on the standard OBD2 diagnostics connector.

I wonder whether anyone on these boards has used any of the DIY PC based OBD2 kits you can get and found they worked OK with an IS?

Here's a link to one of the sources that discusses these things, tho' I'm not a member:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/opendiag/

I got my ODB-II reader from here:

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/

Couldn't be bothered to make an interface. This cost me £60 and I received it within 4 days.

All ODB-II readers will be able to pull off fault codes and get standard stats. etc. but getting one to perform Lexus programming/diagnostics/CBEST is going to be difficult because the information required is probably not available from Lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links