Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is300H Servicing And Software Coding...

Going to be ages before our IS300H will need a service, infact it'll be ages before we even take delivery of it...But had a question about servicing.

I'm not a fan of using main dealers for servicing, have had problems from main dealer at Honda, BMW, Nissan all missing servicing items/not doing the job properly despite paying £££ rates.

I currently use a local independent who I trust 100% with our cars, infact they have installed over £5K worth of mechanical bits to my BMW, and I have such good relationship/trust with them I often leave my spare key with the owner of the garage so that they can pick up the car/work on the car without me having to drop the car off etc.

I know under the EU block exemption rule, that Lexus will have to honour any warranty claims even if I use a independent garage , and long as I use OEM parts, so I'm quite tempted to continue using my local independent for servicing the new car....though they have already told me to use Lexus to if I want to keep things simple regarding warranties...

Short of the standard oil change and air filter change, which lets be honest probably takes 30 minutes on most cars, is there anything specific in the IS300H hand book about additional servicing items around the hybrid drivetrain that NEEDs a Lexus garage, because from what I read about the hybrid drive train, its all very self contained and pretty much maintenance free?

For the BMW I've also learned to code/update the car software my self through the OBD port, and this has allowed me to do things like install various retrofits including OEM spec sat nav, disable fog-light checks (missing a fog light due to aftermarket oil cooler), error code reading, install Alpina gearbox software on my non-Alpina car....So I'm not scarred to rip apart interiors, and 'fiddle' with car software my self....One thing I would like to do is switch to winter tyres/wheels on the IS300H, which obviously would mean the Tyre pressure system would need re-programming, I much rather learn how to do that my self than rely on dealers....

Do anyone know of any resources on the web where people have done similar things with Lexus software, because I'm struggling to find anything??

The main software for Lexus-Toyota is Techstream, while if you need only to clear codes with a BT interface and a cell phone there is Torque or Dashcommand for general purpose and Carista for Lexus cars options.

• Like 1

As far as Im aware - the Lexus vehicles are pretty much non-tuneable by the OBD port method. Im sure you can erase codes and the like but I doubt there's any software around to change the car's characteristics.

As for servicing, I'm not too sure - being a hybrid, Id rather get it serviced by Lexus themselves. I know Kwik Fit had an issue with a CT200h when I took my wife's Merc in there, no idea what but something definitely went wrong as the car needed towing away.

Ive also read some horror stories on the american forums too hence decided to go with Lexus to be on the safe side. Ive had 2 services, they haven't missed anything yet and they're on the ball - well mine are anyway!

Good thing is - with the hybrid you wont be needing many parts etc brakes wear at a very very slow rate! Im on 10% after 2 years driving 10k miles a year!

The main software for Lexus-Toyota is Techstream, while if you need only to clear codes with a BT interface and a cell phone there is Torque or Dashcommand for general purpose and Carista for Lexus cars options.

Thanks for that, the software looks much easier to use than NCS and WINKFP for BMW, for a start its in English and not German :)

As for servicing, I think I'll wait and see when the car arrives, and have a good look at the service book.....I'm very un-trusting of main dealers, I rather pay my local independent to do the same job.

You can make setting changes using Tech stream software. It would cost you £1,000s to legally obtain a copy. We don't allow the discussion of illegal activities on these forums (software piracy for example). Even with this software, ECU firmware updates are only available to Lexus dealers as it is downloaded from Toyota's servers rather than being in-built to the software.

How long do you intend to keep the vehicle? A Lexus without full Lexus service history certainly has a lower resale value, especially with a hybrid as many people as still nervous about the technology. After three years you would only be able to extend the hybrid Battery warranty by having it serviced at an authorised Lexus service centre.

Of course not my intention to encourage piracy, I just wrote that the official sw for Toyota-Lexus is Techstream, as for an access to infos you need to subscribe to techinfo site where you can download many info about car servicing paying a small amount if you need acces for few hours.

About the Bluetooth-android apps, it's possible to download them accessing to Google market, while Carista can also modify some features of some Lexus models (i.e closing of doors at a fixed speed) paying a little sum instead of going asking to dealer.

I think I really just want something to sort out the winter tyre TPMS issue, once you've registered a second set of tyre pressure monitors do you need to re-register them every time you change, or does the car store 2 sets of monitors?

We'll be keeping the IS for close to 10 years, it'll be my wifes main car, and she doesn't change cars often, current Civic 7 years, and she was quite happy with it till she started driving the BMW more often and got use to heated seats :). So re-sale value am not bothered about, and actually I'm more than comfortable with doing my own oil/brake pad changes on the BMW. Though my wife has already banned me from sticking the IS up on axle stands, or ripping apart the interior to wire in things like dash cameras till the warranty period is over.

I think I really just want something to sort out the winter tyre TPMS issue, once you've registered a second set of tyre pressure monitors do you need to re-register them every time you change, or does the car store 2 sets of monitors?

We'll be keeping the IS for close to 10 years, it'll be my wifes main car, and she doesn't change cars often, current Civic 7 years, and she was quite happy with it till she started driving the BMW more often and got use to heated seats :). So re-sale value am not bothered about, and actually I'm more than comfortable with doing my own oil/brake pad changes on the BMW. Though my wife has already banned me from sticking the IS up on axle stands, or ripping apart the interior to wire in things like dash cameras till the warranty period is over.

I dont think it stores 2 sets of monitors. It depends on how many miles you're wife is doing as to winter tyres. My wife does about 4k a year and in the winter I drive the Merc as she's too scared to drive an RWD car in the winter so she gets the RX when its snowing or icy.

I havent had any of my cars to date fitted with winter tyres - never needed them. The Merc is fine anyway. I had an issue with climbing a hill 2 years ago but turning traction control off did the trick. RX has never had any fitted either and never been stuck

Humm...might just wait and see. The good thing is the winter wheels we have on the Civic will fit the Lexus.

The problem with our jobs is that regardless of the weather not getting to work is not a option. A few winters ago when we had the bad snow winter tyres made the difference between been really stressed about getting to work/stuck at work/stuck on the road at the bottom of a hill, and what was essentially for us a 'normal' commute...Infact the roads were so unusually empty due to the snow, at the end of a 12hr shift I ended up taking the scenic route home on un-gritted back roads....I also might have also lost control of the car for a few minutes, which resulted in a few donuts in the work car park :whistling:

11013568884_236e79d89f.jpg

Humm...might just wait and see. The good thing is the winter wheels we have on the Civic will fit the Lexus.

The problem with our jobs is that regardless of the weather not getting to work is not a option. A few winters ago when we had the bad snow winter tyres made the difference between been really stressed about getting to work/stuck at work/stuck on the road at the bottom of a hill, and what was essentially for us a 'normal' commute...Infact the roads were so unusually empty due to the snow, at the end of a 12hr shift I ended up taking the scenic route home on un-gritted back roads....I also might have also lost control of the car for a few minutes, which resulted in a few donuts in the work car park :whistling:

11013568884_236e79d89f.jpg

Well again the need for winter tyres depends on your work, where you live and alot of other factors. Im self-employed so I can change my work times and when I work (usually) so its not a huge issue for me - still havent taken a day off work since 2011 though apart from the obligatory annual leave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links