Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paddle Shift?

Neil E

I'm just going to throw this out there.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a paddle shift steering wheel from an IS to a 2006 SC430?

I've been busy mildly modifying the car since purchasing it in the summer and the steering wheel is the next in line for treatment. I'm not a fan of the feel of the wooden part of the grip. It's a bit thin and too slippery.

It could be professionally recovered in leather and neatly stitched to look as original as possible but I thought it might be fun to fit the IS wheel and attempt to get the shift paddles working. One obvious concern is compatibility of the IS airbag as for insurance purposes, it would need to be shown to be safe. If it's a step too far, I'll have to settle for plan B.

post-21030-0-82264600-1420232564_thumb.j

I quite like pushing the boundaries and I'm not afraid to try and fail if it's worth a go in the first place.

The box/ecu already allows for the 'up' and 'down' shift so it should be possible to get the paddles to work if it's possible to get the signals from the wheel via the loom. I know similar things have been done in the US on the GS model by adding paddles to an existing steering wheel. (So that might be plan B + a leather grip) The button arrangement is different on the IS steering wheel but the functions appear to be the same so I think that should be okay.

I've changed wheels and manually reset airbag lights before but never substituted any so that's new territory. The connections look the same but research so far hasn't confirmed if it's possible/safe to swap them.

You can add paddles, with a bit of work, to a GS (400 or facelift 300) because they already have e-shift buttons on the steering wheel. The GS430 and SC430 don't have e-shift and therefore don't have wiring at the steering wheel. You would have to run your own wiring and tee into the gear selector + - switch wiring.

Get rid of the wooden wheel? Shock horror.... that's the best bit...

I told my son my steering wheel was worth more than his car he believed me..

No point in having a 430SC if you mess with the wood.. The Japanese designers spent years trying to make real walnut /maple look like plastic.

Peter, I really like the look of the timeless wooden dash and the option to conceal the tech behind the motorised doors but I much prefer the feel of a leather grip. It makes a big difference to how the car feels.

Thanks very much Colin, your knowledge is truly impressive, that's about as far as my research has taken me so far after hours of reading.

I'm drawn to the IS wheel as it has the wiring, leather grip and paddles already. Apart from the safety aspect of the airbag, the piece that I don't yet know is if I could then modify the SC connector to match the IS configuration. If it uses the same connector, it may be a case of adding pins to run connections to the gear shift, if not, then it could be a case of changing the mullti-plug and If that's the case, then fabricating the paddles on the existing wheel would probably be more favourable. Then the issue is getting the signal from the existing steering wheel to the column. More homework required.

I've been distracted today fabricating a missing headlamp washer nozzle u-shaped securing pin. Lexus said they couldn't supply it separately so I had to make one. All back together now and seems to work okay. Aligning the cut outs for the headlamp washers on the body kit bumper was a bit scary.

Is it really worth all that hassle?

Of course it is....

post-21030-0-44763700-1420321493_thumb.j

Yes, I've played (never to any great standard) since I could walk. Makes people smile occasionally around the Sussex league clubs. Many years ago I never got around to buying A11 OUT for not much money when the DVLA originally released it. Some years later I saw it on a small hatchback on the A1 as A1 1OUT, what a waste......

• Like 1

Hello Neil

I've had paddle shift on a Honda Accord 2.0i VTEC, it needs a bit beefier engine to be enjoyed..Sure it will be awesome mod for Your SC.

Start studying SC gear selector modules or speak to someone with experience in this field. Once You get the wiring sorted, the rest is pretty straightforward.

I once owned the E46 330d auto. On the manual setting you have to press downwards to change gears up. I could not believe BMW engineers would come out with this.. in the end it annoyed me so much i changed it (+ upwards - downwards).

As on Your SC there is a microswitch on each end of the selector. Whenever the selector is moved + or - live is connected to earth and the gearbox ECU knows to change gear.

Your modification cuts into this circuit. When the paddle is pressed, the very same signal is grounded
via the steering wheel, giving the same effect.

Best of luck with the job i have every faith You'll get it done :)

Mel

Thanks Mel

You could write several fascinating books on your car history.

I'm comfortable with that side of it but need to establish the best solution at the steering wheel. I haven't had much time lately so there may be a delay to starting this mod.

Theres a Japanese company called "Skipper" that make all sorted of Mods for Lexus's and car alike. They do a Paddle shift kit for the SC430. However ... You have to have the 6 speed box not the 5 speed for it to work ... and it costs the earth!!!!

Skipper have a channel on youtube, I can't remember there web address of the top of my head but try searching for Skipper SC430 and go from there, They make hydros and air kits too

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links