Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vais Mml Installed In Gs450H

Ordered the VAIS unit from the states because there seemed to be few decent options in the UK.

Anyway, got around to installing it, initially I fitted it behind the existing stereo which there was just enough space but after giving it some thought I decided to move it to the centre console.

I basically fitted the unfit within a foam surround then put a false top on do that it looks like the bottom of the centre console tray again albeit shallower.

I also installed a usb socket so that I can plug in either the Iphone or usb memory stick with ease.

There is a little pull tan so that I can easily pull up the bottom to access the unit beneath if necessary.

All in all a tidy finish that looks more like the newer cars.

Carl

post-38756-0-54480600-1424626181_thumb.j

post-38756-0-26945700-1424626227_thumb.j

Nicely done - that is a v. neat instal. Have ordered the MML from the States myself and am looking at best location - what led to changing to the centre console?

Regards

C

I decided to put it in the centre console because of something another forum member said regarding updating.

If I needed to update for instance if the new IOS for Iphone messes things up then access is easier in the centre console where as behind the stereo would require removing all the trims and stereo each time.

That said, I may never need to update so that is all remains to be seen.

Also, the only one space it would fit behind the stereo was tight and could lead to future squeaks etc even though I would have put a layer of felt over it.

Believe it or not its a lot more work fitting it to the centre console, firstly you need to be able to plug in the main adaptor plug and the usb lead which happens to be one lead either side of the unit. There is just enough space in the centre console width to take these two leads, hence a bit of measuring and trimming to get things fitting well. Then you want a cutout to allow you to acces the cigarette lighter at the back of the centre console.

My surround was made from several layers of foam board bought from a craft shop. I stuck them together then covered them in a stick on felt.. I had to make various channels to allow for the leads and wires. It all gets quite a tight fit when it goes in.

The top part Is just a lid to cover everything with some black ribbon stapled in to help pull the tight fitting lid up again should I need to gain access.

Of course as well as being able to plug in your Iphone 4/5 or 6 you can also use your usb memory sticks with mp3 music in.

These work particularly well and it's just like viewing a cd only more information available.

So far, I'm very please with the vais unit. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

Just keep one thing in mind when setting up the vais unit. Make sure the unit is up the right way or else your settings are in reverse and it won't connect up properly to the car. I made thus mistake as the instructions diagrams are not as clear as they could be.

In fact, use the PDF download instructions of the vais site as these are clearer and you can zoom in for a closer look.

Carl

• 1 month later...

Hi Carl,

am doing my Vais install this weekend. Could I ask did you earth the unit when you fitted the unit into your centre console box? If so was there a earth point nearby you used?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

I just installed the Vaistech MML in a GS450h this morning and didn't know where to earth the unit either. I did find that putting the unit behind the carpet on the driver's side works well, it's much less hassle than behind the head unit or in the centre console box... I got the idea from this video (see at 11:20): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tA0W4hJg0Q

It's simple to get at later it if needed.

By the way programming the MML may take a couple of tries, mine did at least. Unhitch and reattach the power harness between attempts. Eugene at Vaistech was really helpful, in case you have any problems.

Hi Carl,

am doing my Vais install this weekend. Could I ask did you earth the unit when you fitted the unit into your centre console box? If so was there a earth point nearby you used?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

I didn't attach any other wires other than the plug that came with it that went directly into the back of the head unit.

I have had no problems since installing mine.

I just installed the Vaistech MML in a GS450h this morning and didn't know where to earth the unit either. I did find that putting the unit behind the carpet on the driver's side works well, it's much less hassle than behind the head unit or in the centre console box... I got the idea from this video (see at 11:20):

It's simple to get at later it if needed.

By the way programming the MML may take a couple of tries, mine did at least. Unhitch and reattach the power harness between attempts. Eugene at Vaistech was really helpful, in case you have any problems.

I do t know what Vais is fitted in that video but I only had to remove one cable which was white one also shown in the video. It was not be necessary to unplug any others as shown n the vid. Aldo the screen layout looks totally different on that car. Maybe its different on the face lift models.

I covered my gear stick with a small pillow when I did mine as I didn't want to risk damaging or scratching anything.

I would recommend using plastic pry tools or at very least taping the end of the screw driver.

Carl

I did the same with my ls600 when I fitted it ie the pillow over gear stick in case unit slipped and damaged the screen (glad I did lol twice I had butter fingers) I believe it was 2 cables I had to disconnect and reattach into harness on mine (LS) and no mention of earthing unit in my set up

Job done, thanks for the help and guidance. Decided to attach the Vais unit to the front face of the cubby box - all working; what a great product.

80-2015_04_05_15_31_33_81523373c04a97ced

Agreed, it's an excellent unit. Tne thing I want to sort next is formatting a usb stick with several partitions so that the vais unit sees 6 discs which I can set up as different music formats ect.

I did find that when I added music to my usb to existing music the unit never recognised it at first.

I then formatted it and re-added again and all worked fine. I need to get my head around that area but otherwise as good as having a CD player.

Only real annoyance is the lexus screen that greys out useful features as soon as you drive off such as file lists ect.

I'm still contemplating doing the fix to allow me to use these functions on the move even though I don't really like playing with wires.

Carl

USB stick with partitions is my next move.......the detailed instructions in the VAIS handbook are quite involved!

In the meantime just not having to hit that 'I agree' button at start up is a boon..........

Hi

What are the advantages of the vais mml unit over the cassette adapter and is it worth the cost to fit one

would it port over the Iphone screen as well as the audio

I have the 2005 model with the low resolution screen

I have thought of getting one but not too sure of the gain for the cost

Robert

Low Resolution Screen?

Sorry for diverting the topic away slightly but I also have a 2005 GS300. Are the screens a lower resolution? Would this explain why - no matter how much I adjust it - the roads on the Sat Nav are broken lines unless they run straight up & down or left to right?

I have been looking to replace my GS and the screens look so much better on later models.

yes it is mike no matter what you do you cant elliminate the clunky pixels

i too am thinking of trading up

as the screen does look dated like the old win 3.1 computer screen

but the car is running that good i am loathe to change it

better the devil you know

robert

Brilliant. Mine is a 06 GS450H With ML Audio. Does this just emulate and play playlists with the 6 x round buttons or will it show track names etc?

Oh and if you guys don't mind me asking... What was the damage with VAT/Duty etc?

Paul: The MML can read playlists (.m3u files), but you can also just load up folders of tunes. It does display folder, artist and track names, but this may depend on the GS model year. The instructions for setting up a USB drive properly are a bit involved, I haven't had time to set it up properly yet.

Regarding VAT/Duty, I'm in Ireland and was not charged any VAT or duty. However, this is the first time I was not charged on acceptance of a UPS delivery from the US. It's a small box, you might be lucky too.

I was hit for £50 customs duty/VAT; worth it for what the unit gives me. Details of what your model year will get, and file structures etc. are in this link http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_MML.pdf

I too am yet to figure out the workings of the files!

LOL That's weird.. On the email notification It showed as 163 duty/tax and I was :eek: but £50 isn't too bad. In the past I used to pick things up for my 200SX from the states so I normally work it out at about +27% for Duty/Tax. So dependant on carriage they look like they amount to about £240 to the door. Not bad at all.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links