Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin Latitude Tour Hp Review

So after having 4 new Michelin Latitude Tour HP's fitted and having driven the car over 100 miles, I feel I can safely share my thoughts on them. My car originally had the Dunlop SP Sport 270 tyres on them from the factory so I am directly comparing to those.

Firstly, the ride. From what I can tell so far, the Michelin's ride slightly softer than the Dunlops and soak the bumps slightly better. Its not hugely noticeable but atleast its an improvement.

Then there's the cabin noise! These tyres are rated at 69dB with the previous Dunlops rated at 71dB. It was the main reason I bought these tyres as the Dunlops could be heard rumbling away, albeit a very quiet rumble. With the new Michelin's there is no noise from the tyres at all making the already quiet RX450h almost eerily quiet. Its very noticeable so if you want a quiet tyre, these are the ones to get.

Handling remains unchanged. Slightly better due to more grip but thats because they have more tread on them. The Michelin's do seem to have a wider tread though, even though they are OEM 235/55 r19 fitment and slightly stick out compared to the rim. I dont mind that - itll probably save me from the dreaded kerbs!

Finally, the price. These tyres were relatively cheap at £123 each from Oponeo and fitting was a mere £50 for all 4. That makes it £136.50 a tyre - a good £60+ saving on each tyre compared to if the original Dunlops were purchased at Lexus.

I cannot say how they will wear as its too early and I havent had a chance to test them in the wet yet so stay tuned......

• Like 1

I heard/read once somewhere that every 3dB is a doubling in "noise", so although doesn't look much on paper, a 72dB tyre is twice as loud as a 69dB one!

Thank you for the review, I will definately consider these when tyres are due!

Chris.

I can second the noise reduction that you get from these tyres (on a 400h) - it is very noticable, especially if you are coming off a budget tyre, which is unfortunately what I had on mine.

Yep the noise reduction was huge! I am very impressed by these tyres so far. Something else I have noticed is that Ive ended up stopping much earlier than usual. These tyres are so smooth that it feels like they're just going to keep sliding but actually they have very good grip and slow down very quickly.

I heard/read once somewhere that every 3dB is a doubling in "noise", so although doesn't look much on paper, a 72dB tyre is twice as loud as a 69dB one!
Thank you for the review, I will definately consider these when tyres are due!

Chris.

I did a lot of research into them. They are standard fit in the USA and they prefer a softer ride, need them to be capable in snow and prefer quieter tyres as their roads are pretty bad. So far, the Michelin's have not disappointed!

I have Michelin latitude all round plus spare . I'd never have any other.

Quietest tyre I've had with

Treadwear at 440

Traction A

Temperature A

I do have pirreli on my Honda family car at 71db compare it with that 2 db makes a difference .

I did a lot of research into them. They are standard fit in the USA and they prefer a softer ride, need them to be capable in snow and prefer quieter tyres as their roads are pretty bad. So far, the Michelin's have not disappointed!

Agree that the MLTs are really very good tyres, but capable in snow? Rated purely as a Summer tyre.

Had these Michelins fitted to my RX400h after reading the reviews on the American forums. A noticeable improvement over the stock Bridgestone Potenzas, much quieter and better at absorbing road imperfections.

Mine got even quieter after they were run in for 500-1000 miles or so, so I expect you will see further improvement in the noise levels.

Agree that the MLTs are really very good tyres, but capable in snow? Rated purely as a Summer tyre.

On the Michelin UK web site they are listed as summer tyres, but they do have the M&S logo on them. The tread also has sipes in the blocks.

I had mine changed over to Nokian winters in November, so didn't get the chance to see how good they were in the snow!

Same tyre is rated as "All Season" in the States and they get much worse snow than we do. Nobody's complained about them in the snow in the US, mostly very positive reviews.

• Like 1

Yes, this is all correct but they are not rated as AS or Winter tyres here in Europe, and mostly we do not get as bad weather, make of that what you will?

I've not seen any official reviews of them in Europe regarding winter performance, it would be an interesting read.

I am not disagreeing they are very good tyres, but even Michelin cannot perform miracles, although being French they probably think they can ;)

Yes, this is all correct but they are not rated as AS or Winter tyres here in Europe, and mostly we do not get as bad weather, make of that what you will?

I've not seen any official reviews of them in Europe regarding winter performance, it would be an interesting read.

I am not disagreeing they are very good tyres, but even Michelin cannot perform miracles, although being French they probably think they can ;)

Check out their new crossclimate tyres - a true all season tyre which doesnt lag behind summer tyres in summer or winter tyres in winter!

Also the new michelin tyre on the new RX has grooves which widen as the tyres wear to aid water removal.

It rained over here yesterday, quite heavy with lots of wind. The Michelins were great, no slipping unlike the prior dunlops and very good grip too. Very pleased :)

Lets hope the new RX doesnt come out officially in the UK in autumn as I wont get to test the Michelins in the snow :P

I've been following the Cross Climate since the launch at Geneva, seems at last to be a true All Season tyre without any of the pitfalls of the normal AS tyres, should be a good choice once they become available in other sizes, for now it's a very restricted range, but promising.

I've been following the Cross Climate since the launch at Geneva, seems at last to be a true All Season tyre without any of the pitfalls of the normal AS tyres, should be a good choice once they become available in other sizes, for now it's a very restricted range, but promising.

The tests show that it does very well indeed. Would be a great tyre if it works as it should. I wonder if the new Michelin tyre on the RX will be any good. Actually, I wonder if it'll even come to the UK! We seem to always run on either dunlops or bridgestones although Yokohama is coming on some models now

The tests show that it does very well indeed. Would be a great tyre if it works as it should. I wonder if the new Michelin tyre on the RX will be any good. Actually, I wonder if it'll even come to the UK! We seem to always run on either dunlops or bridgestones although Yokohama is coming on some models now

I very much doubt it'll be an OEM fitment, but Michelin are expanding the range in 2016 so hopefully RX sizes will be coming then.

• Like 1

I very much doubt it'll be an OEM fitment, but Michelin are expanding the range in 2016 so hopefully RX sizes will be coming then.

Its definitely OEM fitment in the US as they showed it there but somehow I have a feeling its not going to be available in the UK.

ATS are doing a Michelin deal at the moment (to end of April). Minimum buy 2 tyres eg 235 55 18 £300 on the car for 2 tyres then claim back a £30 fuel card which makes £135 per tyre,

• Like 1

ATS are doing a Michelin deal at the moment (to end of April). Minimum buy 2 tyres eg 235 55 18 £300 on the car for 2 tyres then claim back a £30 fuel card which makes £135 per tyre,

Good deal for the 18's. Only problem is, they're more likely to scratch your rims and can be a pain to get them to pay up or refurb them. Especially when you have the notoriously difficult to match F-Sport wheels

Its definitely OEM fitment in the US as they showed it there but somehow I have a feeling its not going to be available in the UK.

Interesting when you need a replacement then as they are not available in RX sizes presently!

well same happened with dunlop Sp sport 270. I was fairly ok with the tyre but couldn't find it anywhere. Even lexus said they couldn't get them first.

OMG had a real scare! Going at about 40mph on a duel carriageway and a cat came running across. I swerved out of the way, hit a curb pretty hard for a good metre or so. Pulled over, checked the rim for any curbing. The tyre saved the rim!!

The Michelin's stick out a fair bit, took most of the damage on the rim protector :)

Being allergic to cats and liking my Lex, I know what I would have done.......!

Weird thing is, Iwould have said the same thing before it happened!! It was a simple reflex - "going to hit living thing, STOP!"

Glad no damage though, they stick out a cm more than the OEM Dunlops from the edge of the rim so do help inregard to protecting wheels from curbs.

In all honesty I probably would have done the same, as you say reflexes take over!

You might have to get that tyre off the rim to check it out - hidden sidewall damage could pose a risk to you & the family (including the Lex!)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links