Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

400 Miles Today And Circa 30Mpg

Drove from Dunfermline to Cambridge today. Circa 400 miles and averaged around 30mpg. All of it bar maybe 15 miles was motorway and most of it cruise control sat at 70 ish mph according to the GPS.

Pretty happy with that. I had a BMW 740IL from the same year that was slightly better at about 34mpg but the Lexus is nicer to drive.

Having owned competing marques from the same year I'd say overall the Lexus wins. BMW had more toys such as double glazing, electric blinds, telephones and rain sensing wipers but electrics in my car were unreliable. Interiors are very similar. Seats are comfier in the Lexus but had more head and leg room in the BMW (it was the long wheelbase model though). My 15 year old (who is 6' 1") finds his head hits the roof in the LS if he sits up straight in the back. He also can't sit behind me because I have my seat quite far back.

Overall when it comes to refinement the Lexus is slightly better but boy it is an ugly car. The 740IL was much nicer to look at. The LS is incredibly quiet even without the double glazing.

The Japanese would rule the automotive world if they found some designers that have taste.

• Like 1

.......... hahahahaha .......... the Ls 400s are just so beautiful ...... especially the earlier models methinks ......... beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

Malc

• Like 1

100% serious. I used to take pic of the mpg to show my brother as he couldn't believe it either. I never used cruise control and maybe that's why. I took my 2005 mk3 gs300 to London a few weeks ago again didn't use cruise control and i got 43 mpg. I'm going to Devon this weekend so let's see if I can better that

Nothing different. I just drive nice carefully I never use cruise control i always use v power shell fuel and get the engine oil changed every 6 months

Matthew, falling mpg figures can be a sign of a failing Coolant Temperature Sensor. The result is that the ECU thinks the engine is permanently cold and so runs permanently rich, hence, the poor fuel consumption. Not expensive and an easy fix. Either that, or your right foot is MUCH heavier than Messi's! To me, 30mpg is hard enough let alone 40.

Matthew, falling mpg figures can be a sign of a failing Coolant Temperature Sensor. The result is that the ECU thinks the engine is permanently cold and so runs permanently rich, hence, the poor fuel consumption. Not expensive and an easy fix. Either that, or your right foot is MUCH heavier than Messi's! To me, 30mpg is hard enough let alone 40.

I tested the sensor on the car, seems to be well within its tolerances, thats mostly round town though with a light foot, going to book it into the dealer, they want £107 to do and hours diagnostic.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links