Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took a drive out to North Essex today, with my elderly mother, and we ended up at a cafe which is well-known for its home-cooked food and gift shop bolted onto the side. Found a parking space right by the entrance (handy).

On leaving, I was aware of a "pattering" from the O/S/F, which could be felt more than heard. Thought I'd better take a look - at least before getting back onto the A12 at Boreham - and this is what I found. Yes, it had gone right through.

Luckily, the conditions were favourable enough to fit the spare by the side of the road (a bus stop near Felsted, to be exact).

I have contacted the establishment in question - asking first and foremost if they'd had any work done on that elevation of the building. Their answer was yes. I then explained what had happened, when I was then told to discuss it with the owner - whom I have not yet been able to reach. (My principle aim was to forewarn them of the possibility of more of such fixings hiding in their gravel car park.)

I do not expect for one minute that they will admit liability, although I am hopeful that a small contribution to the repair/replacement cost might be forthcoming as a goodwill gesture.

There is still some life left in these tyres which I bought new. So, I am wondering if it will be considered safe enough to repair, or should I rotate the (good) rear tyres onto the front and get a new matching pair for the rear?

Thoughts please :)

post-8016-0-01043800-1432835106_thumb.jp

At least it's in a repairable spot. I make very sure I haven't left screws and nails on the ground when I finish a job, in fact I always pick other peoples off the road when I see them. Sadly not every tradesman bothers. The worst places are car parks at Wickes and builders merchants generally. For my piece of mind I would put a repaired tyre on the rear, just in case.

• Like 2

.............. looks very repairable to me but why not pop it over to a tyre place and ask ! .... and maybe keep it as the spare

Malc

Looks to have 5-6mm remaining and in tread section so would be worth having repaired. By the time you've paid for the repair/refitting/rebalancing I bet it's going to be around £30.00.

August 2014 last tyre puncture repair on the Lexus cost me £14.95 " all up " incl balance .... tyre had done 9k miles

Malc

At least it's in a repairable spot. I make very sure I haven't left screws and nails on the ground when I finish a job, in fact I always pick other peoples off the road when I see them. Sadly not every tradesman bothers. The worst places are car parks at Wickes and builders merchants generally. For my piece of mind I would put a repaired tyre on the rear, just in case.

I'm the same as you - as I know how much of a PITA getting a flat is, I make sure to clean up anything I might have dropped, such as rivet anvils, screws etc. and if I spot one that someone else has dropped when I pull in somewhere, I'll pick that up to - which can have two benefits; reduces the chances of someone else getting a puncture, and sometimes you find just the type of screw you were looking for, for that one off job you didn't want to buy a whole pack for, haha

............. I ALWAYS pick up loose screws and nails in the road and kerbs when I'm out and about .... I know a strategically placed object can destroy a perfectly good tyre when the puncture cannot be repaired and cost someone £100+ ...... from someone else's carelessness in dropping the bugger in the first place.

I remember a few years ago now I reversed into a kerb space outside my local library and a screw went straight into the edge of the side wall ............. almost new tyre and irreparable and £100 down the swanny

Malc

............. I ALWAYS pick up loose screws and nails in the road and kerbs when I'm out and about .... I know a strategically placed object can destroy a perfectly good tyre when the puncture cannot be repaired and cost someone £100+ ...... from someone else's carelessness in dropping the bugger in the first place.

I remember a few years ago now I reversed into a kerb space outside my local library and a screw went straight into the edge of the side wall ............. almost new tyre and irreparable and £100 down the swanny

Malc

So I wonder how many people that pick up screws and nails could have prevented accidents or worse, just by making the minimal effort?

It's a 20 x 5mm bolt. Unfortunately, my tyre fitter says the hole is too big for a safe repair. But the good news is that the Conti Premium Contact 2 is currently available at nearly half-price! So both sides to be done for a total of £224 next week. An expense I could have done without, mind!

I'm always amazed at how this happens. Statistically, what are the chances of hitting the object end-on with the tyre so that it actually goes in?

post-8016-0-29224200-1432894212_thumb.jp

i had the same happened to me a few months back - this was on a road where we have metal recyclers and a 2 inch metal piece got wedged in my tyre -thankfully it was repairable

It's a 20 x 5mm bolt. Unfortunately, my tyre fitter says the hole is too big for a safe repair. But the good news is that the Conti Premium Contact 2 is currently available at nearly half-price! So both sides to be done for a total of £224 next week. An expense I could have done without, mind!

I'm always amazed at how this happens. Statistically, what are the chances of hitting the object end-on with the tyre so that it actually goes in?

Could they not have just put a nut and washer on the bolt from the inside ??
  • Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links