Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4th Generation IS on the way

I wonder if this is a facelift or a new model, either way exciting to see what improvements Lexus is going to bring.....a new infotamiment system must be on the cards.

That is surely "face-lift", but might be some kind of concept which might materialise partially in 2019-2020 (that is when the life-cycle comes for changing IS).

As for Audi A4 I strongly disagree, but we probably need to look at what are your personal criteria for the car, every car has cons. and pros. if the cons. of Audi is not very important for you e.g. poor interior and base trim, dull styling and the pros. are what you looking for e.g. resale value, reliable diesel engines then yes - Audi is for you. As I don't care about diesel (and don't even want to hear about it), want to have well equipped car (Audi and MB are notorious for additional equipment prices) and want it to be petrol/auto (not that much hybrid, but don't mind), and want top class interior materials and build quality... I would stay with Lexus... and with BMW if I want to enjoy driving (fast)..

Reliable diesel engines? Not sure you have your information right. They are only reliable if doing over 15k miles a year.

A4 costs like £45k to the same spec as an IS anyway!

This is a facelift, not a 4th gen

facelift is cosmetic from the outside, new bumpers, lights, some new colors etc. what i find more of interest are the possible internal changes that will be made. some as existing engineering proved not effective and others as continuous development after the introductiion of the car made for better solutions.

what could be channged?  Satnav menu/graphics, Hybrid drivetrain- elimination of vibrations? - damping in trunk preventing too fast opening?

what do you think?

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

facelift is cosmetic from the outside, new bumpers, lights, some new colors etc. what i find more of interest are the possible internal changes that will be made. some as existing engineering proved not effective and others as continuous development after the introductiion of the car made for better solutions.

what could be channged?  Satnav menu/graphics, Hybrid drivetrain- elimination of vibrations? - damping in trunk preventing too fast opening?

what do you think?

The overal shape of the car is remaining the same. Just the front and rear bumper are being changed and the lights. Everything else should remain the same apart from new wheel choices.

F-Sport will get LED lights as standard. In terms of the interior, the sat nav menu and graphics won't be updated. There may be a bigger screen for the centre console and updated software for speed but the actual graphics etc wont change. Hybrid drivetrain - no revisions to the drivetrain (no vibrations here so don't know what you're on about) and damping of the trunk (again, mine doesnt open fast) so doubt anything changed there.

Its purely cosmetic changes inside and out.

Expect similiar discounts, maybe not £4-5k like currently but about £2-3k will be possible as facelifts don't really change that much in discounts, only the all new models don't attract discounts

I'd speculate it is a mid life facelift, new lights and bumper/grille,  bringing it to same or similar style to the RC and GS. 

Interior I'd guess it is changed to the same as RC, so touch pad controller and changed positions of cup holders and mode knob. Other minor changes to trim, colours and model specs. 

I'd also say it will have the new Lexus safety package available same as the GS,  Led lights, and possibly further refinements on emissions and power for the drive train. 

I don't think there will be any new infotainment upgrades, no new engines, and no 12" screen,  got to keep something for the GS to upgrade to. 

No 12" screen but there should be an 8" instead of the 7" right now. 

Drivetrain remains the same.

The IS might not get the touch pad. Lexus have had poor response on the touch pad from owners 

On 4/19/2016 at 0:45 PM, rayaans said:

Reliable diesel engines? Not sure you have your information right. They are only reliable if doing over 15k miles a year.

A4 costs like £45k to the same spec as an IS anyway!

This is a facelift, not a 4th gen

That sound like you have mixed up what I have added as Audi benefits and what as Lexus... As we know Lexus burned on diesel engines, but I have strong believe majority of Audi sales are diesel. Similarly, regarding the equipment in basic trim level - basic Lexus is already well equipped, while Audi with similar extra stuff might be £45k... 

As for Audi diesel reliability -definitely better than those on IS220d, but all diesels have same know issue.. never get diesels if not doing many miles on motorways.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

That sound like you have mixed up what I have added as Audi benefits and what as Lexus... As we know Lexus burned on diesel engines, but I have strong believe majority of Audi sales are diesel. Similarly, regarding the equipment in basic trim level - basic Lexus is already well equipped, while Audi with similar extra stuff might be £45k... 

As for Audi diesel reliability -definitely better than those on IS220d, but all diesels have same know issue.. never get diesels if not doing many miles on motorways.

Any diesel is more reliable the IS220d one which is a Toyota engine anyway taken straight out of the avensis.

Audi diesel reliability isn't all that great - there are plenty of diesel Audi owners with serious issues around.

19 hours ago, rayaans said:

Audi diesel reliability isn't all that great - there are plenty of diesel Audi owners with serious issues around.

Do you mean, not great by design (like Toyota's 2.2l) or simply used wrongly or maintained poorly? My understanding is that many people are buying diesel cars to save money, without considering that their daily driving is unfit for diesel engines and will not be efficient, then they are facing all kind of issues. I am pretty sure even IS220d is fine if doing mainly motorway driving for 30+ miles per journey doing steady 60-70+.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Do you mean, not great by design (like Toyota's 2.2l) or simply used wrongly or maintained poorly? My understanding is that many people are buying diesel cars to save money, without considering that their daily driving is unfit for diesel engines and will not be efficient, then they are facing all kind of issues. I am pretty sure even IS220d is fine if doing mainly motorway driving for 30+ miles per journey doing steady 60-70+.

Both -

Technically you can't ever say a car is used wrongly. Its silly to say that a car is used wrongly if doing short mileages as it doesn't say that it shouldnt be used for short distances in the handbook. If it was written in the handbook "DONT BUY THIS CAR IF YOU DRIVE LESS THAN 15K MILES/YEAR" then it would be wrongful use. Yes, in theory it is wrongful use but the average buyer doesn't know this.

As per design, they do start to get issues, some are spontaneous like water pumps etc.

as expected, cosmetic improvements, in line with GS and RC

Here's hoping that the exhaust treatment at the back is common across all the various drivetrains and regions and not a USA 350 or 200t specific.

Looks like there are full LED rear lights, and trapezoidal shaped exhausts interesting change.

I hope they don't mess with the styling too much as they really excelled with the original design.

32 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

But big fancy exhaust systems say "Hey, I have a big engine, look at all the obnoxious gasses I put out".

The 300h is about not putting out these gases. You can't have it both ways.

I'm guessing you haven't  looked under the rear skirt at the two fat pipes from the 2.5ltr engine?? 

Why can't a hybrid have exhausts on show? Emissions and exhaust pipe treatment I don't think are connected by most normal punters. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steve44 said:

I'm guessing you haven't  looked under the rear skirt at the two fat pipes from the 2.5ltr engine?? 

Why can't a hybrid have exhausts on show? Emissions and exhaust pipe treatment I don't think are connected by most normal punters. 

The RC300h has visible exhaust tips which is the same engine/powertrain.

In my opinion it is more to do with style than an impression of the emissions from the vehicle.

Not entirely sure about the exterior changes, but upgrading the sat nav to 12inch screen is good, it wouldn't make it system any better but at least prettier and easier to use.

I wonder if Lexus will now also make the 'safety pack' a included option even at base spec.

It's a very minor refresh, it's to be expected as retooling costs for production cost millions. I think when you stick on the front number plate it will look good. To be fair it was a great design anyway so glad they didn't change it for the sake of it. I think the f sport in black will look great.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links