Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reliability of IS F (gearbox)

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and a wannabe IS F owner (current funds don't allow!)

Anyway, I've always been interested in the IS F since launch and people always quote 'Lexus reliability' when reviewing it. Is it as reliable as a 'normal' Lexus? Are there any common issues?

I read this in a review recently that I thought was interesting:

"Once you’re rolling, the torque converter locks and all shifts are absorbed by the planetary clutches. Honestly, if the transmission came from anyone else but Toyota I would describe it as “a grenade waiting to happen,” but I haven’t heard any reports of it being anything other than reliable. Every shift, however, feels like bloody mechanical murder and it makes driving the car in wet conditions a bit of a challenge. The clutches engage with a “bump” and if you’re already at the limit of traction you are going to have a chance to become acquainted with the I’m-off-no-wait-I’m-really-on-but-waiting-for-you-to-screw-up stability control. The electronic leash on this call pulls tight and it can kill forward progress around a racetrack like an arrester hook." thetruthaboutcars.com

anyone any thoughts on this? Have the transmissions proven reliable? Are the shifts that harsh?

Good news 😄

Anyone with technical knowledge of auto transmissions comment on the idea that locking the torque converter will wear the planetary clutches, as suggested in that article quote I posted above?

9 hours ago, DougIsaacs said:

Every shift, however, feels like bloody mechanical murder and it makes driving the car in wet conditions a bit of a challenge. The clutches engage with a “bump” and if you’re already at the limit of traction you are going to have a chance to become acquainted with the I’m-off-no-wait-I’m-really-on-but-waiting-for-you-to-screw-up stability control.

Sounds a bit like journalistic creativity to me.  In sport manual, the upshifts are harsh, but you don't have select this mode.

Sounds like he was driving a completely different car to mine, as Flytvr says upshifts are harsher in Sport mode as are a lot of other cars, that aside absolutely no issues with mine.

Trashy American journalism in my opinion.

• Like 3

I ran a MyCarCheck on the 62 plate I was looking at (and later bought)  in Dec last year. It does list common faults in cars but in this case there was nothing about the gearbox at all.

On a lot of IS-Fs there is a small issue - when changing up at high revs and accelerating hard, a lot of us eventually start noticing a squeak coming from the front, which sounds like, and is, a belt slip noise from the auxiliary / serpentine belt. These things are consumables anyway but when I decided to do something about it, I ended up having to replace the tensioner too. Belt, tensioner and labour in a Lexus garage was well over £500, and that's just to get rid of a squeak. I'll think twice about it next time!!

But if you want this kind of car and you don't want to spend money repairing it, the Lexus seems like by far the best choice.

Links for reference (or evidence of my confirmation bias):

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/uks-least-reliable-car-would-have-m5.html

(shows the M5 and RS6 in a bad light)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/m5-e60-2005/

(" BMW M5 shown to be 2nd least reliable European car more than 3 years old and out of manufacturer warranty")

PS - Final advice from me, worry about kerbing the alloys more than destroying the gearbox!

• Like 1

Very informative Whirlio, ta very much. I agree totally, if you want reliability buy Japanese and not German. My previous Honda went for 9 years without a single issue. My BMW I've just sold, and my wife's Golf, have both been in  the garage at least once a year for non scheduled problems.

No issues with the gearboxes on these. Funny story from the US forum about spare boxes being sold for peanuts due to the lack of sales! :whistling:

There are numerous examples in the States with well over 100K/200K on the clock still running their original gearboxes.

I'd have a look at their site and see what threads are doing the rounds if I was you. Last one I recall was the ticking from the engine due to cracks in the OEM exhaust manifolds.

Will be interesting to see how mine look as and when I can afford to have SRD install my PPE headers.

Reliability is true Lexus standards even for this performance model. Most aired on the side of caution, and bought extended warranties just to be safe. Don't think anyone has had anything catastrophic happen to their cars in the 2/3yrs I have been on this forum??

I'd also add the journalist driven cars are beaten on pretty badly whatever the make/model.

My 08 has been a lot smoother with shifts since I had the transmission fluid changed at the last service.

I would also add that article probably came out early doors in terms of the IS F being produced. If so, it won't account for the later cars that had the better mechanical LSD installed, or the softer suspension.

I think one of the only "common" faults with the ISF are the very rare leaks from the water pump. It's about a £400-450 job to replace at a main dealer (from what I've read, early cars seem to suffer a little more than newer ones, but this could just be an age thing). 

It's difficult to judge, as they are so rare. If 20 cars have ever had new pumps in the UK, then that's 10% of the market...! 

Apart from that, errr... tyres and petrol seem to get used up quickly when driving hard. :-)

• Like 1

not sure why but I was dreading this failure at the recent 8year service, as I don't have the warranty. I just had this feeling mine would be leaking. I didn't get round to looking to see! But it wasn't.

£500 on a £60k+ when new car, eight years old. You gotta accept that's going to happen from time to time. Like brakes and tyres....

33 minutes ago, lotusdave said:

£500 on a £60k+ when new car, eight years old. You gotta accept that's going to happen from time to time. Like brakes and tyres....

To add, it as well happens on IS250 and almost any other car in the range of 80-120k miles. As well cost almost the same to replace, so it is more generic "cars issue" rather than IS-F weak spot.

Having had same major bills on German cars I did a lot of research on the ISF before buying one. Other than the water pump issue mentioned above they really don't seem to suffer from any serious weaknesses. The only reference I ever found relating to a gearbox was on an Australian forum where one failed straight after the delivery of the new car to its owner and this was immediately replaced by Lexus. There are large numbers of these cars being run in the US and there was no mention of any gearbox issues on their forums.

I took out the Lexus extended warranty to cover the only other issue I read about at the time, which was the occasional fogged zenon head lamp unit. These are are expensive to replace and because the warranty also comes with breakdown cover including Europe it seemed pretty good value to me.

As has already been mentioned above kerbing your wheels is more of a concern to most of us because the twin colour coating is difficult to match, which means its usually easier to refurb all 4 wheels. The only other minor issue to be aware of (similar to the BMW 3 series E46) is age/mileage softened front suspension bushes which result in inside front tyre wear which is worth checking because obviously the tyres are not cheap.

I've had my car since 2014 and it really hasn't missed a beat. I honestly can't think of another car of this type which comes close to the ISF's reliabilty. Do the research on its competitors and I'm sure you will agree!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links