Hi guys

Just started my LS400 MK4 1999 and it now makes an extremely loud whining noise. This occurred quite randomly as it was not making noise the other day.

Any ideas what it could be?

The noise gets worse as the RPMs increase and the pitch gets higher. Power steering seems to be working fine and have not had battery issues as of yet.

Hi

It could be the drive belt and the idle pulley.

I was just thinking, when I had an Ls400 it was making a whining noise and it turned out to be the alternator 

Maybe one of your pulleys is at fault. E.g.  Does it stop if you switch air con off?

Noise doesn't stop when I turn ac off.. I thought it was alternator but it seems to be coming from the opposite side (driver side engine bay area). Aircon works well so don't think it's the compressor.

It might be the water pump and if it is you could lose your cambelt if it seizes,take off the serpentine belt and if the noise stops it could be any of the ancillaries or tension pulleys.

If it is still whining then your water pump is failing This happened to me many moons ago on my Mark 1.

Waterpump is new.... Gates brand. I will check out the pulleys and see

Take off the belt anyway that way you can identify weather it is the cambelt tensioners or the ancillaries

on a lighter note ................  does it only happen when you have a front seat passenger :biggrin:

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

on a lighter note ................  does it only happen when you have a front seat passenger :biggrin:

Malc

Luckily not, that would be a difficult one to solve..;)

In other news it turns out it was low on power steering fluid. Topped it up with atf fluid and flushed it through a fee times and it's quiet now. I need to find out where it has leaked out from which is the hard part.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Subsequent
      Hi
      I'm new to the board. Recently someone took a crow bar to my '93 Lexus LS400 which was much beloved. Reprobates. Anyway I've been looking around and there's a specific look I'm trying to find. It's def not the Mk5 I think as it has the straight headlight. I think it might be DHP? Perhaps you could let me know how difficult this might be to achieve/find? Picture below. Thanks in advance.

• By Argyll
      Can anyone advise on how best to get confirmation of the first date of registration,I purchased a LS400 which was registered in the Netherlands on I believe 20th October 1995 from a record in the service book however DVLA insist I obtain a letter from a owners club registered on their web site and it appears no Lexus club is,this is all that's preventing registration. Any information would be most welcome.

archie
    • By Simonkent
      I have a noise which is difficult to identify , believe it might be to do with power steering as seems more prevalent when turning but can only hear when roof is down and then difficult to separate from road noise.
      There is a posting on you tube with very similar sound but no suggestion as to how it was cured , old post and for USA 
      Anyone any idea , Lexus dealer could not hear it but only tested with roof up 
    • By arkviz
      Time ago I began to feel my car vibrating, especially at low revs. Driving another car with same engine confirmed this, older IS 300h was much quieter. I've noticed my car's engine start up is much harder than before, it feels like there is some resistance. Usually i drive only in urban areas, speeds below 100km/h. Today i drove on a highway and  it was really problem to keep 130 km/h. My car for sure has lost a lot of power, or there really is some part making serious resistance in the drivetrain.
    • By Tinonline
      A few months ago at 75k odd miles I replaced my spark plugs from my mk4.
      I couldn't see any evidence of past replacement and was puzzled by very worn plugs bearing the NGK brand in pale blue. They looked old. I did a write up; that's in the how to section.
      What I put in were Denso plugs and that's what I'd expected to remove. All the mileage checked out.
      However, having a trawl through the handbook I spy that original fitment listed as Denso SK20R11...and NGK IFR6A11.
      That solves the riddle: I removed the original NGKs.