Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In sunny Kent we have had snow on and off now since Friday morning with about three inches of the stuff that has now settled.

Needed to go out yesterday for some shopping and was dreading using the LS, snow on most side roads clearer on main roads.

What really suprised me was that I could actually drive on the snow and slush on our side roads in 'snow mode', traction control was working overtime though and I did need to take care with braking distances.

Not bad for a heavy rear wheel drive old barge.

A vast improvement on my old GS300 which just slid and squirmed all over the place and was very awkward to control.

Had Nokian WRA3 tyres on since the end of November. Drove up the hill from Streatley towards Ashampton last night which was rutted and frozen snow. No problems at all.

If you have never tried winter or all season tyres, think about it for next year. Such a difference.

No TC on mine. I sometimes forget when I am trying to make a 'spirited' get away from a junction or into a roundabout in the wet! The width of the tyres don't help either. Therefore, I tend to give my LS a rest over the winter months and avoid taking her out in the snow.

Had Nokian WRA3 tyres on since the end of November. Drove up the hill from Streatley towards Ashampton last night which was rutted and frozen snow. No problems at all.

If you have never tried winter or all season tyres, think about it for next year. Such a difference.

I did consider winter tyres but have some 'snow socks' instead but have not yet seen any real need to use them on the LS.

I did consider winter tyres but have some 'snow socks' instead but have not yet seen any real need to use them on the LS.

They are much better in deep water as well ( more sipes in tyre and extra tread depth), so the past few months of rain and flooding have meant no issues driving through deep water. Steering wheel doesn't even tug.

If you have the cash up front, and somewhere to store the summer tyres until march, it's a no brainer.

Many people have latched onto the stereotypical views of all season and winter tyres, and have never actually tried them. I'm a convert, 4th winter using them. Would recommend Nokians highly.

I live 2 miles from nearest shop, and have some interesting hills to get up whichever of the 2 routes i choose for work or to get onto the A34 or M4. LS is my sole car so it has to be mobile year round.

No traction control on my 1996 LS400 but, shod with new Barum tyres, it has been surprisingly good in the snow although I have made three discoveries.

1) ABS is no use on sheet ice because the tyres need to have something to grip;

2) ABS does not work in reverse;

3) An LS400 just fits sideways down a standard single track country lane (yes, I thought I had better see if I could make it go sideways and recover. I did - just!).

My MK4 LS was OK with all year round Falken on each corner and although I bring my speed right down and think and drive 10 times further ahead she was great, even getting me out of a soft verge which I went down being a gentleman and getting over to far for a young lady who had no idea. Once I got used to using the snow button and how it worked she was great. Mike

I took the wife to work at 7 this morning, and as the roads I used were mostly clear, went looking for a bit of snow and ice to try the LS on.

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest, nowhere near as bad as my old 3 litre Capri MK1, which remains the worst car in the snow I've ever owned (good fun though, as long as you didn't actually have to be anywhere).

Still better off parked up though if possible, even though I'm sure we are all driving gods, it's the other sods you have to worry about, and there are more incompetents about than ever imo.

Snow mode & winter tyres on the mark4 . One of the best cars ive driven in the snow or ice vw beetle old one was good aswell.

Oh yes, years ago I drove an old beetle to North Wales for the New Year. Deep snow but no trouble at all. The only difficulty was when the flat underbelly hit really deep snow, then it acted like a sledge!

Been out and about a bit today. I put the snow mode on, but not entirely sure what it does. Anyway, seemed to do the job and no major dramas.

I had a little play with that switch - it seemed for the short time I had it on, to dull throttle response - so less likely to swap ends if you're a bit heavy footed maybe?

Hi it pulls away in 2nd gear & adjusts the traction control, Ive been up a steep sheet ice slope from a near standstill a few times the last 100 meters of my destination in south Germany. works perfect you get a click click as it transfers the power from 1 wheel to the other, A lot of other cars don't make it mercs & bmws mostly.

Hi it pulls away in 2nd gear & adjusts the traction control, Ive been up a steep sheet ice slope from a near standstill a few times the last 100 meters of my destination in south Germany. works perfect you get a click click as it transfers the power from 1 wheel to the other, A lot of other cars don't make it mercs & bmws mostly.

Thanks for that. Most helpful.

Can confirm that it will do it. Mike

Thanks for that. Most helpful.

Ditto.

Must have another play if the forecasters are right about the weekend, sounds like fun.

I really can't believe how well the snow setting works.

Apart from the extra care needed when driving on snow and ice the LS is a real doddle to drive.

Use ful to know that it would also work on soft ground as I have on occasion got stuck at Brands Hatch in the field parking areas when it has been wet.

I used snow socks that I bought a year or so ago for my Octavia. I never had the opportunity to use them until today when I braved my steep road in 6 inches of snow. Car in snow mode with socks on motored through it. I was amazed as my Ka had given up at the bottom of the same road not half an hour before. Even some of those with 4x4's had given up. Neighbours and sledging children looked on in amazement as I passed effortlessly by in luxury surroundings. Brilliant!

I used snow socks that I bought a year or so ago for my Octavia. I never had the opportunity to use them until today when I braved my steep road in 6 inches of snow. Car in snow mode with socks on motored through it. I was amazed as my Ka had given up at the bottom of the same road not half an hour before. Even some of those with 4x4's had given up. Neighbours and sledging children looked on in amazement as I passed effortlessly by in luxury surroundings. Brilliant!

What kind of socks would these be, i take it my size 10 hiking socks are the wrong sort :whistling:

I took the wife to work at 7 this morning, and as the roads I used were mostly clear, went looking for a bit of snow and ice to try the LS on.

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest, nowhere near as bad as my old 3 litre Capri MK1, which remains the worst car in the snow I've ever owned (good fun though, as long as you didn't actually have to be anywhere).

Still better off parked up though if possible, even though I'm sure we are all driving gods, it's the other sods you have to worry about, and there are more incompetents about than ever imo.

I had a MKI Capri 3.0GT which really was dire on ice and snow - twice resulting in my having to sleep in the car due an inability to climb hills. Still loved it to bits though!

I had a MKI Capri 3.0GT which really was dire on ice and snow - twice resulting in my having to sleep in the car due an inability to climb hills. Still loved it to bits though!

I had a lovely red GT 2litre Capri 3 months old at the time and it was dreadful in any sort of damp weather but like you I loved it to bits and so did the girls. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Heady days. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links