Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Digital Camera

Colin P

Price range?

Quality....No of Pixels?

Optical zoom? (Dont bother with the advertised digital zoom, any PC will do thaat for you.

Price is the major factor, you can go from 50 to 4000.

I have a Minolta Dimage 7i, 5-megapixel, 8xOptical zoom (28-200 Equivalent) i can pop in any compact flash and take a LOT of pics.

The Minolta Dimage 7Hi has the bonus of having a 64Meg cache memory, allowing more cont shots to be taken, and can be got for 500 ish.

haha I cant believe I forgot to mention my budget, I only really want one to take pics of the car. I doubt i'd use it that much so I was only planning on spending about £200 or so. I'll look at that website, i'll probably pick one up in the good old january sales!

I love my Nikon Coolpix 3100, BUT I'd specifically check out the following whatever I got

1. Buy from a Camera Company, they make better lenses.

2. Optical Zoom produces better results than digital

3. If it isn't comfy and easy to hold don't buy

4. Test to see how long recharageable Battery lasts - VERY IMPORTANT

5. See if you can take photo's quickly. This a fault with the Nikon and means you miss action shots.

6. Check out size of Memory card. You need at least 64 Mb and will probably havbe to buy a bigger one for about £30 ish.

7. If you intend to manipulate photo's you need a 500+ Mhz PC with a decent (20 Gig or bigger) Hard Drive and a spare USB port

Best of luck. Do try price on internet after you've chosen at Jessops, you could save alot.

Nick

I did a lot of looking around & reading reviews and eventually settled on the Canon Powershot S50. It's down to around £290 from amazon, so might be a bit outside your budget.

Anyway, it's a great camera whether you just want to point and shoot, or get real geeky and set everything manually :geek:

Well (and I am a little biased, but) I would stick to Sony, Fuji, or Nikon. Maybe a higher model Canon too.

Casically there are about 3 companies that make the CCD chips (as shown above! pretty much) and the other makes use them with different lenses.

Some of the more expensive Sony's use Carl Zeiss lenses which are very very good. Though it seems now that Sony have taken the years of experience from these are made their own for most of the cybershots!

For your use, I would reccommend the DSC-P72. Very good all round camera, good prices (esp. on the web). Good level of features and takes a good image.

As people have said, steer clear of the digital zoom only. You will regret buying something like a DSC-U20/10/30 etc as its very much like using an APS, everything seems further away due to focal length etc.

Alot of it is also down to personal preference in shape.

Sony's are good if you happen to have a Sony Vaio etc as the memory stick just plugs in. You can get readers or just use the USB.

Nikon always come out great in tests too. I think the 2800 (??) came out well.

Pentax Optio S is a great camera. Its got good functions and its tiny! So you can carry it around without it being a hassle at all. Costs about £250 nowadays.

And it won T3 magazine's gadget of the year award - can't be bad! :D

Very good for the size and so is the Casio EX-Z3. Both around the same price, both small and flat to keep in your pocket. I think the Casio is more practical although a little larger.

If you can stretch to £250 then consider either of these two. I think I'm going to get a EX-Z3 as a second camera, one to just carry around with me.

I have a Sony DSC-V1. Very good quality. But it has it limitations, Battery life is limited (and it uses a properietary battery), you need to plug the power cable into the camera to charge it and uses a Memory Stick (very expensive).

If you are going for a lowprice camera, I would recommend the Canon A-series, low-cost, good lens quality, and it uses standard AA batteries.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links