Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 Not Starting. Starter Motor Running

Hey guys.

Two days ago my car didn't start for some reason so I plugged in a Battery charger but its still the same problem. Did a couple of searches online and saw a couple of different post mentioning that the 250 had some problems with flooding in colder climates when moved shorter distances. The two days prior to the fail to start the car was moved 3 times in the driveway so I tried the unflooding (brake and throttle fully applied) but no luck there.

My car was recalled because of a problem with injection gaskets or something (fire hazardous) just a month ago and I was wondering if it might have something to do with the problems I'm currently experiencing. Anyone who have experienced similar?

Video of startup:

Does everything else work ok, all auxilliaries? if so, then it could be something like the immobiliser. I read a thread earlier from a member with a diesel who's got starting problems and his is pointing to the same thing( or could be ).

Certainly sounds like a no fuel problem, easy way to tell is to get someone to spray some easistart into the air intake while you crank the engine over. If it runs albeit roughly it would confirm a fuel starvation problem which as mentioned above could be due to an immobiliser fault.

If you are a breakdown club member I would call them out.

It sounds like it's trying to start, in that it is firing occasionally. This suggests that the ECU is trying to deliver spark and fuel, but for some reason, the engine is barely firing. This makes it seem unlikely that this is a major ECU failure, or an immobilizer failure.

A simultaneous failure of multiple ignition circuits seems implausible. This means a fuel problem. Again, given the fact that the engine seems to fire occasionally, it probably isn't a failure of the injector amplifier, as that would result in no fuel at all. So, my suspicion is on the fuel pump - either the low pressure or high pressure pump, or the associated control system (e.g. suction control valve, pressure sensor, etc.)

You need to hook it up to a scan tool and check for fault codes, and ideally use a tool which can interrogate injection rail pressure, fuel pump duty cycle, etc, or at the very least, attach a pressure gauge to the low pressure fuel line, to check that the in-tank pump is running.

• 4 weeks later...

A guy from Lexus came over with a scan tool but not a single fault code showed up so ended up having it towed to the workshop. Fuel pump is running fine and they are going through the whole fuel system, and after a while they asked for both keys so they are looking into the immobiliser/electronics.

*money flies away with the wind*

Wow! I had the very same problem today with my IS250, same sad sounds - first time ever I've had an issue with starting! Made sure all heaters etc were OFF, tried a couple of times with no success. Left it for 5 mins max, tried again and it started but was pretty weak sounding, eventually back to normal. I drove for about 8 miles through towns, stopped for 20 mins and car started first time on my return, then same procedure again with no problems. All I would add was there was a heavy dew this morning, then a good warm sun, looked out the window and my car roof was steaming with the dew and sun!

Ian

Looks like reprogramming the keys worked in my case :P Car is running again

Glad you got it fixed. I'd never had guessed immobiliser, though.

Indeed, according to the service manual, the immobiliser, deactivates the starter and start button, and sets a fault code saying that the ECU has been immobilised.

UPDATE

2 days ago my usual key fob wouldn't open the car. Tried my other key fob with no problem. Just renewed both batteries in the 2 key fobs and all working great again.

I guess this may have been the problem with the car not starting?

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection!!!

This morning my IS250 was difficult to start. It caught after a long crank and ran roughly as if on 2 or 3 cylinders for a moment then stalled.

It cranked again for several seconds before again starting and running rough. This time I gently  applied a little throttle and it gradually picked up until it was running almost smoothly. I drove off and within a few seconds it ran fine all the way to work (40 mile journey)

On way home this evening no problem at all.

The car had been stood since Friday evening and there has been very heavy rain and high humidity (well I am in Wales)

Just wondering if anyone else has suffered similar symptoms in damp weather?

Just read all of this old thread and to all of the above posters I would suspect that even though the Battery is turning the car over, it needs to ‘spin’ it over and the first post with vid is cranking far too slow, so in all cases I would recommend starting with a good Battery either by charging or boost starting from another good battery/car.

The case above whereby after a short drive the car later started fine again indicates the Battery as it had a small charge put into it during the previous journey.

paul m

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Texas said:

Just read all of this old thread and to all of the above posters I would suspect that even though the battery is turning the car over, it needs to ‘spin’ it over and the first post with vid is cranking far too slow, so in all cases I would recommend starting with a good battery either by charging or boost starting from another good battery/car.

The case above whereby after a short drive the car later started fine again indicates the battery as it had a small charge put into it during the previous journey.

paul m

Got to agree with Paul - have experienced this when the Battery has been disconnected on both IS's i have owned - the car turns over and nothing. Starting again it turns over, starts but runs rough for a few seconds then comes to life as if nothings happenned. 

Looks to be Battery related or a weak earth connection possibly?