Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interesting Discoveries (good & Bad)

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Mine does have a motorway screen which turns on automatically. I think you have to go on Nav - Map configuration - Motorway. It only comes on when on the motorway of course.

Ta. Will have a route around when in next on the m-way

52 minutes ago, tHomBleached said:

Ta. Will have a route around when in next on the m-way

You can actually set the screen before going on the motorway I think

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

You can actually set the screen before going on the motorway I think

I had a play earlier and it depends what road you're currently on. Without anything set it just shows three options (single, dual and another one) on a dual carriageway a further two options appeared so I'm guessing motorway screen only appears when your currently on one then you can set it.

1 hour ago, tHomBleached said:

I had a play earlier and it depends what road you're currently on. Without anything set it just shows three options (single, dual and another one) on a dual carriageway a further two options appeared so I'm guessing motorway screen only appears when your currently on one then you can set it.

Ah ok. Fair enough. Once you activate it I think it comes on automatically after that

45 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Ah ok. Fair enough. Once you activate it I think it comes on automatically after that

Brill, cheers for the info. Should be on the motorway next week but the way my cars nimbly sipping the tank I might just drive to the M1 just to do it!

6 hours ago, richman6100 said:

Hi mpls,

If you're happy with your F-Sport then I wouldn't fret. I'm pretty sensitive to how a car rides for reasons already mentioned, others clearly find the difference AVS brings to be fairly subtle. I think Steve44 summed it up pretty accurately when he said that AVS makes the F-Sport's suspension feel more like that of the standard IS. I'd say it's better than that on the 'standard' models that come with 18" wheels and comparable to those with smaller ones. The handling is better though.

I'm slightly surprised by Rayaan's comment about expansion joints causing 'a huge thump'. Maybe in Sport+ mode, but I've not experienced such an effect on expansion joints or speed bumps in other modes. Only the very worst pot holes I encounter on my daily commute give a jolt in the cabin.

Thanks ..

Found a great one this morning. 

Before starting up the car press:

volume up x2, track down x2 then long press volume down while starting on. 

Youll now be at a secret menu that gives you access to a setting where you can turn off the requirement to be stopped to play a DVD

:)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tHomBleached said:

Youll now be at a secret menu that gives you access to a setting where you can turn off the requirement to be stopped to play a DVD

I suppose I am gong to have to try this now aren't I?  I really hope you are right tHomBleached, but I have just noticed the date :-)

Only one way to find out though I suppose and the effort may be worth it ;-)

:whistling1:

I'm rubbish at keeping April's fools going till midday. I lasted all of 5 minutes this morning after telling my son he had to go to school today. He burst into a psychotic episode, had to tell the poor bugger...!

1 hour ago, tHomBleached said:

:unsure:  I haven't got buttons, just knobs !! :huh: 

I nagged to keep mine going for about half an hour.  Told my wife, son and daughter that our break in the sun for tomorrow was cancelled as the plane was overbooked ! :wink3:

My 9 year old son started to cry, so I had to tell him straight away................but then we both kept it going for about half an hour longer :ohmy:

What a sadistic bas&$£d I am :rolleyes:

NB - doesn't seem to work for me :wink3:, but If anybody does find a workaround for the DVD player, I would love to find out.

On 01/04/2016 at 9:26 AM, tHomBleached said:

is this done with whilst in the accessory mode do the buttons then foot on brake and start button

or are the buttons done before pressing the power button.

how did you just stumble across this combination of button presses ???

1 hour ago, 200h said:

is this done with whilst in the accessory mode do the buttons then foot on brake and start button

Look at the date and you'll understand hahaha

4 hours ago, 200h said:

Sorry buddy :) a poor attempt at humour on my part. 

On on the motorway screen front I managed to get it working. now automatically comes on when on the M-way. 

Now waiting for a couple of cables so I can use the iPod video out, waiting for the V5 so I can fit my plates and finally, getting the dashcam fitted and I'm all set

i was tempted to fit the illuminated plates but the ones that are standard on the F-sport are nice enough. 

on a side note - Lexus is coming out with some fancy headlights! Great for peeking on drivers who swing from side to side on the motorway! :P

12718188_986701774745594_523595339775467

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

Look at the date and you'll understand hahaha

well done to tHomBleached i didnt take any notice of the date i grew out of that many years ago lol

Hi

I also agree with comments regarding the somewhat aggressive nature of the bootlid on the 300h! When released, either using the key-fob or internal switch it does just unlock and move up a few centimeters which is fine. It is when you then open it with your hand and gently let it go thinking it is going to smoothly open and it doesn't. It appears to offer no dampening at all and flys up to the stop. The quality of the bootlid is questionable too. It really does sound flimsy to me when you shut it with your hand. On other cars the boot lid appears heavier and is well dampened when you let it go. Agree this is a weight saving measure but most other areas of the IS 300H feel of a much high quality so why couldn't they do it here? Come on this is a Lexus not a Morris Marina!

Foot operating parking brake is odd to begin with but very quickly I got used to it and now actually quite like the design. In a crash situation the foot-brake is designed to move upwards and such an angle to miss your leg. In such crashes where it would likely smash into your legs or other body parts then this would be the least of your worries.

The only really negative comment I have is with the Sat Nav and Infotainment system in general. I have the premium Nav with ML sound etc. Although I am used to the remote mouse now and have no issues with that aspect, the whole system is way to complicated and the Sat Nav especially is way too fiddly with far too many options. Forget trying to decyper on the move you will crash! Graphics are also a bit dated. My last motor was a BMW with premium Nav and the IDRIVE system is much more user friendly and just 'works' better than that offered by Lexus IMO. Couldn't believe how big the Lexus manual for the Sat Nav etc is too!

Paint appears to chip easy but that's modern water based paints for you most manufacturers have that issue.

Every other aspect of the car - brilliant. I love it. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2016 at 6:15 PM, richman6100 said:

>Maybe its just me but I never found much of a difference in ride quality between the Premier and F-Sport models at all.

I agree. I think the 18" wheels do contribute significantly to the firmer ride. The F-Sport standard suspension adds a little too in my personal experience, not hugely though. The 16" and 17" wheels seemed more forgiving. The AVS seems to give me the best of everything, the F-Sport handling and seats, with the smoother ride of the 16" / 17" wheels.

Mine is an F-sport with AVS and 18" wheels and I am very impressed with the AVS indeed. I agree there is only a slight difference between ECO/Normal then Sport/Sport + but when I test drove an F-sport without it it was notably harder. An option definitely worth having. I found that if you really throw mine around the bends it is very composed all assisted by the AVS, no doubt. The F-sport without AVS appeared to be unsettled over uneven surfaces in comparison especially when going around bends.

On 28.3.2016 at 2:28 PM, ToreOe said:

A bad one: the lug nuts.

They rust.  I have now used all the 40 extra lug nuts we got with the wife's Prius and my 300h replacing rusted ones.  In just one winter, they get really ugly from rust.

I've heard rumors of stainless ones...

-Tore

An update on the rusty wheel nuts:

IMG_0168.JPG

Stainless steel capped Toyota wheel nut to the right, original Lexus wheel nut used one winter to the left.

One less thing to worry about.

-Tore

1 hour ago, ToreOe said:

An update on the rusty wheel nuts:

IMG_0168.JPG

Stainless steel capped Toyota wheel nut to the right, original Lexus wheel nut used one winter to the left.

One less thing to worry about.

-Tore

Odd, they both look the same to me. Mine are still not rusting.

• 2 months later...

This one made me chuckle.......

removed the boot floor carpet to vacuum it, and saw, underneath it, that Lexus had provided a plastic bag, labelled "put the deflated wheel and tyre in this bag so you don't get your luggage compartment dirty"

What do they expect you to put on the car when you've put the wheel in the bag, as THERE AIN'T NO SPARE WHEEL!!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2015 at 5:44 PM, rayaans said:

After seeing this on another forum, just wanted to know anything interesting that IS owners have discovered. It can be good or bad. Ill start off -

Good - The boot is somewhat freezing all the time - great for me as I can leave my sandwiches there when going to work.

Bad - After having the windshield wiper de-icer in the RX I was shocked to discover the IS doesn't have this!! :(

IS300h Premier has it as well as 2nd gen IS250 SEL. Was it not an option on F-Sport?

In other hand I have only used it once this winter...

46 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

IS300h Premier has it as well as 2nd gen IS250 SEL. Was it not an option on F-Sport?

In other hand I have only used it once this winter...

Nope no option on the F-Sport for the wiper defreezer!

Ive never used it TBH but was surprised it wasnt there "for that one occasion when it needs using!"

25 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Nope no option on the F-Sport for the wiper defreezer!

Ive never used it TBH but was surprised it wasnt there "for that one occasion when it needs using!"

Yes it is a bit weird how they now split Premier and F-Sport options with new IS, so that you have either black or white and nothing in between, not even as option.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links