Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

i've got XP on my laptop and its rubbish.

what i suggest is you find out what your modem is and download the relevant XP drivers for it

on my laptop AOL 7 didnt work........AOL 6 did.....advice was to go and get new drivers......this I did and bingo

i know its not much help - but i'd get rid of XP :rolleyes:

i installed it on our office workstations and had no end of problems - so they're all back to Windows 2000 Professional and work like a charm :)

as well as checking the modem drivers, don't forget to check for new updates to the OS from Windows Update and www.microsoft.com/technet/

I've installed XP Pro on quite a few machines, including laptops, and only once have I had a problem with networking. The only way I found to solve that problem was to re-install and then it worked fine. As GRiM said I would recommend a clean install rather than an upgrade.

Personally I think XP is the best release to come out of Microsoft yet. 2000 takes far to long to boot up although does seem more stable.

It's funny how operating systems are built that demand more and more resources. There was a trend about a year ago in corporates of retro-loading WFW 3.11 onto networked machines, on the grounds that most user don't need anything like the functionality of most modern OSs and apps.

My wife uses a clunky old P75 with win3 on it, and it boots shedloads quicker than my Athlon2000 with 98, ATA100 and RAID on it!!

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm interesting this. I've been using xp for a few months on my laptop and have had no problems. We are looking to roll XP out now to our 2500 clients at work... testing so far seems A OK... :yes:

Sorry to all those die hard 95/98 fans but 95/98 is pants.

I have been using XP pro for 8 months now and its very stable and has never crashed unlike 98SE does.

It loads in half the time and was so easy to set up the home network.

Makes 98 look like a Micky Mouse OS or should that be Bill Gates OS.

Windows 2000 is definatley the best os so far! It is solid & stable, Me is complete *******, 98se is ok now but still glitchy. With xp microsoft tried to combine the stability of win 2000 with the multimedia features of win98... Xp is ok but there are still loads of issues with it. I run my own computer business so on a daily basis I see the amount of computers that come in with problems on them. When microsoft release a second version of xp then that will probably be the best os around!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links