Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Review On The Is200T Sport

So, I got to test an IS200T Sport a few days ago. I won't go into details of the styling, interior etc etc but focus mainly on the handling and driving of the vehicle.

Bearing in mind, this was an IS200T "Sport" and not an F-Sport but even so, it was very well specced with the business nav and 18" black wheels for a base model.

Not a fan of the black mirrors but thats another story, however I did like the grey accenting on the interior.

So the drivetrain - well, its good! It feels like a small V6, probably the smoothest four cylinder Ive tested to date and its got plenty of torque for day to day driving.

Fuel economy was OK - got about 28mpg but I guess I was driving it pretty hard. Handling is somewhat better than the IS300h down to less weight presumably.

The only disappointments - the engine is very quiet for a sporting model. I was told no models have the intake for a throatier sound including F-Sport models and I wish it was a bit louder. But, its a Lexus so maybe thats what customers want. No AVS option on any models either which is odd too.

The 8 speed transmission is good, pretty quick shifting for a conventional auto, the only problem was launching from a standstill. Unlike the 6-speed in the NX200T, the launch in the IS200T is very lazy, like its starting in 2nd gear almost all the time. I think this is the reason for the 7s 0-60 time which does feel identical to the NX. It could be much faster - 6-6.5s if it didnt take so long to get up and go from a standstill. No word of a lie, it took about 1 second to move after prodding the throttle from a standstill, something which doesn't happen when rolling. There is slight turbo lag but nothing serious, its just annoying that it takes so long to move at traffic lights when flooring it!

Oh and the best bit - turn the traction off and it hits the limiter without shifting up!

• Like 2

The F Sport is supposed to have a slightly different intake to generate more noise, you don't get that on the Sport grade.

I was told the F Sport doesn't have it unlike on IS250 models but not sure as I haven't driven an F Sport 200T.

Anyone driven one yet? It's a good car but the IS300H is hardly slow and the price difference is only £1k so you'd really have to hate the 300h to get one. I'd assume depreciation will be higher in the 200t?

It's much closer together than it was for the NX. I wish theyd programmed the 8 speed like they did in the IS350 or ISF. However, I think they were trying to make the numbers lower than the IS350 otherwise no one would get one in other markets

I persume a custom remap will sort out any initial lag from standstill and up the power.

If they are selling then 200t in the US it'll only be a matter of time before the ECU is 'cracked'.

Sounds like a decent drive.

I was told the F Sport doesn't have it unlike on IS250 models but not sure as I haven't driven an F Sport 200T.

Well you did say the other day you know more than a Lexus salesman, and that isn't difficult. ;)

From the official Lexus press pack:

Intake Sound Creator

The IS 200t F Sport features an intake sound generator which creates a more sporting engine note. It uses a damper to amplify vibration of the intake pulse and introduces it as a pleasing sporty note into the cabin.

The F-Sport also has sports suspension on the IS200t, whether that is the full AVS i'm not sure.

Yes the same as the old 250 and current 300h, the F Sport gets sports suspension. Only the 300h has the option to add AVS, currently it isn't offered as an option on the 200t.

Well you did say the other day you know more than a Lexus salesman, and that isn't difficult. ;)

From the official Lexus press pack:

Intake Sound Creator

The IS 200t F Sport features an intake sound generator which creates a more sporting engine note. It uses a damper to amplify vibration of the intake pulse and introduces it as a pleasing sporty note into the cabin.

Fair enough, I guess my dealer doesn't know yet oops

I don't think any Lexus ECU has been cracked yet has it?

Interesting review a couple of the reviews on YouTube mention the sluggish response from a standstill too. Did Sport mode alleviate this at all?

My Jaguar XJ had a very sluggish throttle response until I had the car remapped now it goes like a scolded cat. But there doesn't seem to be anywhere that remaps Lexus' having said that there is no way I would risk remapping the car while it is under warranty.

It is less than 4 weeks until I pick my 200T f-sport and it will be interesting to compare with your review only 27 days left!

It's pretty much impossible to remap a hybrid car...Given the majority of the Lexus market is hybrid or NA powered it's not a surprise there is no aftermarket remap market.

The 200t engine may change that, will all depend on US sales, as the US guys are the ones who seem to be able to 'crack' ECUs the quickest - For BMWs anyways.

Interesting review a couple of the reviews on YouTube mention the sluggish response from a standstill too. Did Sport mode alleviate this at all?

My Jaguar XJ had a very sluggish throttle response until I had the car remapped now it goes like a scolded cat. But there doesn't seem to be anywhere that remaps Lexus' having said that there is no way I would risk remapping the car while it is under warranty.

It is less than 4 weeks until I pick my 200T f-sport and it will be interesting to compare with your review only 27 days left!

Sport mode doesn't make a huge difference from a standstill.

Honestly if you're driving normally you probably won't notice, it's only when you smash the throttle to the floor from standstill.

Brake torqueing helps though, it'll take off pretty quick if you do that

Differ from the above-------D-mode is perfect for 90% of the time given Sport can & does take the car to another level of performance @ the expense of some fuel.

Swifter & smoother than all previous IS models it was these qualities, together with rock solid handling, that persuaded me to let go of my wonderful ISF.

Tel

Differ from the above-------D-mode is perfect for 90% of the time given Sport can & does take the car to another level of performance @ the expense of some fuel.

Swifter & smoother than all previous IS models it was these qualities, together with rock solid handling, that persuaded me to let go of my wonderful ISF.

Tel

I was referring specifically to the 200t. From a standstill Sport mode doesn't make the delay between flooring the pedal and takeoff lower. It helps throttle response and stiffness of the steering when rolling however.

I have been driving a Sport 200T for the last two days, similar to the one described by Ryaan in his original post.

Pearlescent white, with mean black wheels and those two fat and very visible exhaust tips, two tone upholstery. Can't make my mind about the black mirrors. They do look smart... but at the same time look a bit cheap.

What I like...

The looks, the supremely comfortable seats, the quality, the smooth 8 speed gearbox

What I don't like...

Some omissions in the spec such as the lack of a rear camera (it's amazing how quickly you become dependent on such gadgets!), or the lack of electric seats

The "new" UI and its rotary control, which I don't feel is much of an improvement over the previous "mouse". I do not find the system particularly intuitive, and it never seems obvious as to when to push the control down, move it sideways, or rotate it to make it do what you want it to. I guess you get used to it after a while, but there is a lot of unnecessary faffing about and unnecessary and frustrating manipulations. Also, some functions are difficult to find or not necessarily where you would expect them to sit

I just cannot get the DAB radio to work. Keeps telling me that there is no signal

And the drivetrain. There is that one second hesitation when you move away from standstill that is rather disconcerting. It feels like the car may have stalled or is about to stall. Also, at times, I find myself checking that I have not left the parking brake on as the car seems unwilling to rev up.

All in all, I think I prefer the IS300h!

I have been driving a Sport 200T for the last two days, similar to the one described by Ryaan in his original post.

Pearlescent white, with mean black wheels and those two fat and very visible exhaust tips, two tone upholstery. Can't make my mind about the black mirrors. They do look smart... but at the same time look a bit cheap.

What I like...

The looks, the supremely comfortable seats, the quality, the smooth 8 speed gearbox

What I don't like...

Some omissions in the spec such as the lack of a rear camera (it's amazing how quickly you become dependent on such gadgets!), or the lack of electric seats

The "new" UI and its rotary control, which I don't feel is much of an improvement over the previous "mouse". I do not find the system particularly intuitive, and it never seems obvious as to when to push the control down, move it sideways, or rotate it to make it do what you want it to. I guess you get used to it after a while, but there is a lot of unnecessary faffing about and unnecessary and frustrating manipulations. Also, some functions are difficult to find or not necessarily where you would expect them to sit

I just cannot get the DAB radio to work. Keeps telling me that there is no signal

And the drivetrain. There is that one second hesitation when you move away from standstill that is rather disconcerting. It feels like the car may have stalled or is about to stall. Also, at times, I find myself checking that I have not left the parking brake on as the car seems unwilling to rev up.

All in all, I think I prefer the IS300h!

Exactly what I found with the drivetrain delay - something that the NX doesn't do which is odd. It will rev up but it needs a good prof of the throttle.

Sport spec is pretty good but its better to go up to atleast F-Sport.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links