Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealers Truthful Or Not?

So I replaced full set of discs with Genuine ones bought from Lexus Edinburgh 4 months ago because previous service indicated mines were heavily corroded and apparently anti-squeal shims were missing. So I also bought that from lexus edinburgh. Today, took it back for Service and they claim all discs are corroded and need changing and that the shims are missing too.

I find that shocking because I had them installed and they are 100% genuine lexus discs. So either they are very bad quality or these dealers are taking the mick. And as for the shim kit. How on earth do they go missing? I made sure they were installed and watched the garage install and lube them. The shims are also genuine lexus product.

I have really lost confidence with the dealer and makes me wonder what they are upto?

Sounds shocking that mate. You need to ask questions, pitted discs dont fail mots there are plenty of oe discs and pads for a fraction

of the genuine pads and discs.

I'm waiting for a call-back. OK worse case scenario lets say somehow the discs did corrode, but it still doesn't make sense why they are claiming there is no shims? when there is 100% shims. I had them put in while i was watching. I bought them specially because last time they said there were no shims.

So after many calls back and forth with me insisting something is not right and i'm 100% sure that i have new discs and shims. I finally had a call back apologizing that there was some sort misunderstanding between the technician and the support staff. I think this is completely unacceptable. Had I not queried this and insisted that I am right, they would have wanted to take over £400 from me for nothing. Being a Lexus dealership surely communicating incorrect information to the customer should be prevented at whatever cost.

thats really not on. Hopefully its a genuine mix up of the previous advice being repeated in error rather than "corroded discs and missing shims" being a standard blag for cars of a certain age\mileage regardless off the truth.

I'm afraid you, like many other genuine customers, are the victim of the far too regular "Up Sell" of garage's taking the opportunity to sell more labour and parts. The communication issue is nonsense and the garage are hoping there is a chance the customer won't know a thing about repairing cars and when someone challenges them suddenly it's a cross wires excuse.

All garages, in my opinion, franchised or not encourage their staff at one level or another to actively explore sales opportunities and MOT issues are the worst example as suddenly the customer is made aware of a problem and it needs fixing to secure the MOT certificate. It makes my blood boil as to what has gone on in the past and will continue in the future. Typically brake pads are often quoted as getting a bit thin during routine servicing in the hope a quick "OK you had better do them then" from the customer. The menu pricing often used by the trade enables them to quote a fixed price incl parts labour and VAT. The customer is then having to make a quick decision without knowing enough about Up Selling. I handle the arrangements of my wife and daughter's servicing/MOT needs as we use a Citroen franchised dealer for both Citroens to preserve the service history of both cars. At no time do I ever let them know about my working life in the motor trade and sure enough each year I get the call to advise me of tyre issues , brake pads, exhaust and wheel alignment. They hate it when I say I will come down and I want them to show me what the issue is. Too many times I have said "leave it, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle" and then they try and claim it was just an advisory notice. Bear in mind if a technician works a bonus payment system it's in his/her interest to look for extras so they earn more money as well as the dealer or garage. No wonder people complain to the likes of Watch Dog.

• Like 1

I would check the disc and shims. Depends on the type of rims you have but it's an easy check. Maybe they never replaced them?

I think pads last about 5-8 years in a car and disc can last till 10 years easily if pads were replaced on time. Just saying...

A prime example as already said of the reason myself and my son spend weekends repairing and servicing the family cars.

If I ever have to take a car to a garage I would laugh my head off at any advice given to me with a price tag attached.

Always call their bluff and ask to see the issue with the car, and if your not comfortable take a knowledgable friend.

• Like 1

I've said this before but hey.

My car is nearly 22 years old coming up to 90,000 miles and still on the original discs all round with no perceivable lip around the edges so discs do last.

On the 1st MOT I had done at a small business with around 5-6 outlets the advisories were both front brake hoses perished and front discs scored.

9 MOTs later and this has never been mentioned again with the original parts still fitted.

This same company also offered me an "engine flush" service which is "highly recommended for high mileage engines" I pointed out that the car may be old but with a mere 40,000 odd miles and fresh fully sythetic oil the engine was not old,high mileage or indeed needed their flush.

Needless to say that was the first and last time the car went there.

Regarding Lexus Edinburgh I wonder if they actually inspected the discs and just went on the previous report no doubt displayed on a computer screen.

Was the car taken to Lexus Edinburgh for the service ??. Seems a long trip from Andy's location, Northampton to Edinburgh for a service..

No guys not Lexus Edinburgh, if anything they've been quite helpful in telling me these are covered under warranty. I bought the parts from Lexus Edinburgh as they had the best internet prices. I then had it installed by Local reputable garage.

Was the car taken to Lexus Edinburgh for the service ??. Seems a long trip from Andy's location, Northampton to Edinburgh for a service..

No guys not Lexus Edinburgh, if anything they've been quite helpful in telling me these are covered under warranty. I bought the parts from Lexus Edinburgh as they had the best internet prices. I then had it installed by Local reputable garage.

Reputable?

Regarding the previously mentioned "up selling" in dealerships, here is a link to a vacancy posting for an apprentice Service Advisor which clearly indicates that "up selling" is part and parcel of what you need to do. I.E. Make sure the customer spends as much as possible. Also, you've just got to love the salary for this job, just enough to keep the cats fed properly ...

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=23017758&JobTitle=Apprentice+Service+Advisor-+Volkswagen+Group&pp=25&cy=UK&where=Edinburgh%2c+Scotland&sort=rv.dt.di&rad=10&re=134&tm=0&AVSDM=2015-12-08+11%3a43%3a00

Garages are there to do one thing. Make money. They are usually owned by large dealership groups - Stratstone, Inchcape, Sytner etc., who also sell Fords VX's etc. So....it all comes down to lowest common denominator - you guessed it - making money.

It seems that they saw some notes from 4 months previously about corroded discs and didn't bother to check that you have new ones on the car itself. You have to question whether or not they actually did what you paid them to....

I never trust anything the dealers tell me. When it comes to cars, they still "see you coming"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links