Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering a 2008 IS250 SE - need advice

Hi guys,

I have my eye on a used IS250 SE. Its a pearl white 2008 model with 83000kms (~52000 miles) and has the navigation, rear camera, auto with paddle shift, Mark Levinson sound etc. The car is in absolute mint condition was owned by one oldish guy and has a full service history at the Lexus dealerships. It is in such nice condition that it is hard to believe it is an 8 year old car.

I took it for a drive yesterday, and everything seemed absolutely perfect. Everything works fine except that the rear shade blinds are up and pressing the "Shade" button wont make it go down. Seems to be broken. Any idea what it could be?

I've read the IS250 common problems thread. How does one tell if the calipers are seized?

Aside from that; anything else I should look out for? Buying this car is quite a bold step for me and I need all the advice I can get on what to check. Are these anywhere near as reliable as the Gen1 IS200? I have one and although its 16 years old, its never given me a day's trouble.

Thanks in advance

I had an IS200 Sport for quite a few years. I made the mistake of the 220d before I settled into my present 250 Auto. I still see my old IS200 and sat in it about 3 weeks back. Kid who has it is not looking after it particularly well, but, for me the 250 is such a superior place to sit. The seats are much improved. The side pillars - front and back - will seem large to start with. The front pillar and door mirror combined are a sizeable impact on vision. Watch out for cyclists/motorbikes at junctions!!! The door windows are shorter in height. Rear vision is not brill...... camera takes care of that though! These are all things you will adapt to over a short passage of time. 

From your wording I'm guessing you're looking at this at an independent dealer, ie not from the original owner and not from Lexus dealership. Can they fix the rear blind?

The Auto box is a dream. When you have had the car a while....you are going to aren't you? Explore the paddles.. they are great for a quick turn of speed.

I use my rear shade quite a lot. The obvious occasions when the sun is beating down ... but also at night ... very effective at muzzling bright headlights. Someone on here had a similar problem (the only other reference I have seen), so try a search of the forum. If I remember correctly, I think it was revealed that the motor/controller was behind the rear seat.

If the calipers are seized at all then I'd expect you to feel a distinct pull to one side upon breaking and the wheels will be really quite hot to touch. Just get those slide pins greased (and do it every year) and all will be good.

There are some reports of sat nav screen failures. But you can source a replacement from the far east .... eBay will help you.

It's not a bold step ... its inevitability. You won't regret it. I'm hesitant to say the 250 is bullet proof ... but it's not far off it!

Enjoy

PS... good colour!!

• Like 1

Hey Normski/Steve

Thanks so much for the detailed info - very much appreciated.

So, I went to see the car again today. Took it for a much longer drive and also took it out on the higway for a more spirited drive. My observations :

1) The car is really in mint condition - both inside and out (and I'm very fussy about stuff like that)
2) I tested every single feature on the car....all work 100% except
    a) the rear shade is stuck in the UP position (pressing the button does nothing)
    b) The front headlamp washes do not seem to work (pressing the button does nothing)
3) I forgot to test the Reverse Cam, but sent the dealer an email to test it for me and let me know if it works (probably does)

The car is being sold by a recognised dealer, but not a Lexus dealer.... So a step up from a private deal I guess, but not as good as buying from it Lexus itself. It seems the salesman cannot answer half my questions and I had to resort to the manual. Not very re-assuring to be honest.

The car, however, has a full service history with Lexus. So thats all good. Spare Key Fob is available as wel, as are the service books and manuals.

The car was really awesome to drive. Not a single rattle....it is dead-quiet with the windows closed. I was expecting a bit of dashboard rattle, but there was none. The leather looks brand new.

I have asked the salesman to get the rear shade and the headlamp washers sorted out...he said he will speak to his manager/the owner. I am waiting for his response on that.

Just received an email from the salesman:

He says the headlamp washers are working (I must have been doing something wrong when I tested?? How do you use it? Do the wipers have to be switched on or something??)

- There is a small windscreen chip which they will repair.

- They will also fix up the rear shade.

- He tested the rear camera for me and says its working.

So, in short, the car is as good mechanically as it looks. I could not find a single fault on the body after inspecting twice for 15-20 mins each time...no repair work at all. I think I'm going to take it.

Hope I'm doing the right thing.

Hi I can only agree with what has been said before, I bought mine at Christmas and I am really enjoying the ride and the auto box .I had a IS200 sportcross for 6 years ,and this car is a big step up .It seems a lot bigger on the road but I am getting used to this ;and I am suprised at the fuel consumption at 32.2 over the last 1000 miles (I don't drive any city commutes) .Your prospective purchase sounds fine ,buy it and enjoy.

Dave

The Lexus IS250 is an awesome car, its very comfortable, everything works, its quiet inside and i always get compliments from friends who sit in it. The only negative for me is, the rear seats could have a bit more leg room though once you sit inside, the room is adequate (5'10).

The V6 is smooth and drives effortlessly, i would class this as a luxury car than a performance car despite the 2.5 litre V6 engine, its not slow either.

Two ways of checking headlamp wash.

On first start up ... Pull the wiper stick toward yourself. This activates wash/wipe procedure ... Importantly, on the first activation the headlight spray system will operate. You are likely to notice 2 sprays of water at the front of the bonnet.

Or, you can use the switch on the dash. In the uk its at knee level to the right of the steering wheel.

The reversing camera should fire up when you put the gearbox to reverse gear.

pics look good matey ... She's a beaut.

Where are you on this planet? In the UK it's a MOT requirement that headlamp washers must work.

incidentally this is sounding like the SEL variant. 

Well, the salesman called me back to say everything is working, so I guess I didnt do something right when I tried it. It was just a push-button on the right of the steering (like you mentioned it is in the UK)

I am in South Africa ;-) This particular model is called an "IS 250 SE" in this part of the planet. ;-)

Another question from me.... Does the sat Nav require a DVD  to be inserted?  I ask the question because there was no DVD inserted and I didn't test the navigation.  Just turned it on to see if it comes on.  Time was limited as the dealer is quite far from work and I went during my lunch break... 

Presuming it is the same as here in the UK, then yes, it does require a disc.

It is inserted behind the clock panel above the dvd player.  There should be two little holes either side of the panel that are used to remove it to change the disc.

• Like 1

That's a SEL model over in the UK. As everyone pointed out, the is250 is a smashing car, you wont go driving 'lesser' cars once you own it. 

For a car packed with tech its probably the most reliable car you can get, the sticky calipers is an issue with them and also the water pump is prone to failing, other than that enjoy.

Nice colour

... bear in mind that its recommended to do a bit of work when you get it home for peace of mind.

I would as a precaution and to put your mind at rest that it has been done ... change the oil (easy job) ... check the caliper slides are greased ... dealers sometimes mask problems with wheels so check the tyre rotation indicators are the right way round.

Also - may not be of interest to you but if you are planning on keeping the service history going then you need to be aware theres a big bill coming on your next service due to a spark plug change which is on the service schedule (in the UK at least) for 60k miles

As the dealer doesn't seem to know a lot about the car then it could be a bargaining point due to the plugs to haggle the price down a bit? Also - make sure the exhaust is sound asyou will need to visit the hospital when you find out the dealer replacement price is.

Hi u won't regret buying is250, I had is220d se-l 2006 sold it due to dpf problems now I'm glad I sold it and got is250, got Arctic ice ,what a car to drive absolutely brilliant car, should have bought one earlier, u will luv it, I had rear blind in is220d, never really used it. I luv the colour, go for it. pic attached 

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

Not wishing to dis Noobie ... Cos he's a good'un. But I have good reason to think that your big service with spark plugs has probably been done 2 yrs ago. See if you can find any detail in the service book.

lexus take the standpoint of 60,000 mls or 6 years ... Whichever comes first. So, a six year old vehicle with ,say, 45,000 on the clock will likely have had the big service done.

Hi Guys

Im a "new kid at the block" not a Lexus owner,yet:) but looking forward to became one with your help

...recently spent 7 hours reading the info and comments about the lexus models. Bumped in to this forum with strong, confident decision to buy a is 220d 2009-2010 year model.... Now Im in completely shocked and confused...Does it have such unreliable engine,or its mainly about the outcome of service quality ?

Secondly...how reliable is the IS 250 engine and auto gearbox?Or shell I consider a manual in petrol version?Is there any specific upgrades during 2006-2010 which I should be aware off?What is the real fuel consumption of this sedan with 2.5 petrol?

My miss and I are really in love with the look and the spec of IS model but to avoid THE BIG MISTAKE  I really need you advice and help.

Thank U in advance

Gabor

diesels are pants, the engine is basically shoehorned from a toyota avensis or whatever monstrosity they use. The is250 is very refined and smooth and as reliable a car you can get. 

I have had mine since 2014 and its the best car I have had from my extensive list of motors, I have itchy feet now and want to buy a 500+hp CL55 Kompressor, mid life crisis maybe. My car is a manual - people keep harping on about a manual but its absolutely fine, horses for courses and all that. 

If you are down in Southampton you are welcome to take mine for a drive.

33 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Not wishing to dis Noobie ... Cos he's a good'un. But I have good reason to think that your big service with spark plugs has probably been done 2 yrs ago. See if you can find any detail in the service book.

lexus take the standpoint of 60,000 mls or 6 years ... Whichever comes first. So, a six year old vehicle with ,say, 45,000 on the clock will likely have had the big service done.

Good spot Normski - I never considered the age.

Hi guys even my wife absolutely loves is250, says omg big difference from is220d which was sluggish non responsive but is250 smoother, responsive,quiter, should have bought it earlier. When I bought mine just over 40k on clock lexus Plymouth said done major service now rather then 60k.so I'm  assuming they changed plugs too.

Hey guys,

Thanks to all of your for your contributions on this thread, Appreciated!

Normski - I will call my local Lexus dealer and find out what the cost of the 90000km (~60000 miles) service is. I checked the service book and the car has been serviced at the same dealership which I use to service my IS200. 

8 hours ago, HoodRich said:

Normski - I will call my local Lexus dealer and find out what the cost of the 90000km (~60000 miles) service is. I checked the service book and the car has been serviced at the same dealership which I use to service my IS200. 

J . What you need to ask at the local Lexus dealer is " Has the big service with the spark plug change been done". My gut feeling is it has probably been done at year 6 on its timeline ie circa 2014. They should be able to tell you all you need to know at the dealership.

There are a few good tutorials to read through here. Its worth getting to know a few things so this is a very useful source. Its just a bit screwed up after the site update. If i could get in I'd edit my own posts to get them looking right.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/tutorials/category/6-lexus-is-2005-onwards/

This link below is to a very good article by Noobie relating to those slide pins in the brake calipers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links