Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 minute ago, Shahpor said:

what is nice?insignia inside for bmw from outside...£15k no sat nav, is it a joke?

I had a 2008 IS220d SEL, nice car but the fuel consumption was not great in town or on a run, 6th gear way too tall, I changed it for a 250 F Sport auto, in my opinion overall a much better car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

You're right, this is pointless.  I will however continue to express my opinion as I see fit.

For the record, I never said I did drive a manual petrol.  Perhaps you should re-read my post?

Well, this speaks volumes about you, doesn't it?

Finally, Robag, I apologise for de-railing your topic.

you are constantly having a jibe at manuals, (London driving, low miles >>> manual sir) you even have a dig at me for saying I never drove a diesel 220, seriously? anyone who understands the slightest thing about automotive knows the 220d is a terrible car, what transmission it has is irrelevant, i don't think its in a auto but who cares.

Some people actually like manuals., do you think I would be still driving my car almost 2 years later, and like I said I am in stop start traffic practically every day. 

Anyway, the salesman you mentioned would not be in a job if he did not say the Lexus auto was the one to get, he needs sales to make a living.  Used is250s with manuals are pretty thin on the ground.

8 hours ago, Robag said:

I always liked the BMW...but the model Im after is far from my budget...and the quality is not the same anymore...hate Merc's even some say they are good...

no doubt, if I will go for Lex it will be SE-L with navi, curten and xenon lights....The manual's road tax is f... expensive!!!So auto will do the job....

like I was saying previously, might not be complete crap after all.

I don't get why people fret about road tax so much, whats a few hundred pounds either way? we pay taxes for everything in life.

Shahpor " And your idea that petrol manuals are rarer cause of tax reasons COULD be complete crap.  Perhaps it is because the majority of people do think the auto is better than the manual? " - 

I have to agree with toffee pie, don't want to offend anyone, why worry about Road tax, my is220d was 205,is250 is 290, not that much more. I think is people are worried about tax get yourself Toyota aygo which is only 20 per yr, but enjoyment comes at a price.

3 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

I have to agree with toffee pie, don't want to offend anyone, why worry about Road tax, my is220d was 205,is250 is 290, not that much more. I think is people are worried about tax get yourself Toyota aygo which is only 20 per yr, but enjoyment comes at a price.

We all have different priorities, I guess.

Look how many people buy brand new cars to save a few quid on fuel, or to get £0 road tax, whilst quite happily chucking thousands down the pan in depreciation.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is a psychological thing?  The fact that it is a recurring charge could bug some people.  It would bug me, but if it was a car I really wanted, I would pay it.

But, as mikeyv says, we all have different priorities, so I suppose if Robag thinks it is too much, then that is fair enough.  I can certainly appreciate why he would think so. 

True. It's why I take no notice of tax and enjoy or try to enjoy driving for what it is. Likewise with fuel, I only use premium unleaded fuel as I believe it's better for the engine.  Certainly it seems to be doing my car no harm going by the lack of garage visits.

Tax in my homeland is a few thousand euros a year for a is250...

Who sad that end up with BMW?:wink3:

I'm still considering is250 as N1 priority ...How many U can see out on the road?Just few...only Mercs and BMW and the others...

Unfortunately my budget is £7k top...so no chance for BMW in good spec and condition...And why would I pay more for better build car, better spec, lower insurance rate, and 40mpg on motorway is not so bad...

Considering what U sad above...

1. Is it necessary to get the car with Full Lex Service History?

2.What would be the upper limit of mileage on the car that you would consider as OK?

3. What is the prising of car service in Lex Dealer?Is it worth it or go for independent mechanic ...?

:wink3:

A lot of what you are asking is personal preference.  There are no hard and fast rules to maintaining an IS any more than there is any other car.  Yes, it has it's foibles, but then most cars do.  Apart from stuff already mentioned on the forum (sticking calipers, etc..), there is not much to worry about.

Is a full Lexus history necessary?  No.  I personally prefer a car that has one, and mine does, but there is nothing wrong with getting it serviced at an independent, as long as they know what they are doing.

Mileage is also subjective.  Yes, lower is usually better, but when you are on a tight budget, I would say condition is more important.  Mine has 115,000 miles on the clock and is working flawlessly (touch wood :smile:).

Lexus do what they call Essential Care servicing for cars older than 5 year.  The pricing can be found here:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#ServicingYourLexus

In my opinion, those prices are quite reasonable for a main dealer.

17 hours ago, Robag said:

Hi Guys

Im a "new kid at the block" not a Lexus owner,yet:) but looking forward to became one with your help

...recently spent 7 hours reading the info and comments about the lexus models. Bumped in to this forum with strong, confident decision to buy a is 220d 2009-2010 year model.... Now Im in completely shocked and confused...Does it have such unreliable engine,or its mainly about the outcome of service quality ?

Secondly...how reliable is the IS 250 engine and auto gearbox?Or shell I consider a manual in petrol version?Is there any specific upgrades during 2006-2010 which I should be aware off?What is the real fuel consumption of this sedan with 2.5 petrol?

My miss and I are really in love with the look and the spec of IS model but to avoid THE BIG MISTAKE  I really need you advice and help.

Thank U in advance

Gabor

Quick summary:

IS220d is "fine" if you not driving in the city and if you are ok with under-powered manual car. Same would be applicable to any poor diesel car (like BMW320d) except maybe they have more reliable engines.

IS250 AT has excellent engine and gearbox reliability and none of the issue IS220 has. Choice is very simple - either you get SE-L with everything or SE without anything, there are no major options except of Sat-Nav with Mark-levison audio and "moon" roof. you have option of MT as well.

The real consumption of IS250 AT (my personal London driving last 10k miles) - 25-30MPG in start stop urban driving, 35-40MPG in extra urban (but I do ~90MPH, by driving 75-80MPH you can get 40+ MPG).

• Like 1

If you haggle really hard can get good price, I got mine from lexus snow group in Plymouth, they had it on for £11500, I got it for £10400,dealers always put on more as they know people will haggle.always get valuation first then you know where to start price from, start from bottom as I did at £10,000 which was private price.lexus do essential service which is exactly same as lexus one.i got my is220d essential service done, even stamped book.

• Like 1

Hi. Personally I'd go for a 250 and avoid the diesel. The petrol car is much more refined so I've heard and better styled. What about a 300h ? Hybrid feul consumption and you have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RXJasonRX said:

Hi. Personally I'd go for a 250 and avoid the diesel. The petrol car is much more refined so I've heard and better styled. What about a 300h ? Hybrid feul consumption and you have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Please tell me where I can get a 300H for £7k :smile:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Please tell me where I can get a 300H for £7k :smile:

Your wish is my command, you might want to order a tin of t-cut to go with it though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-14-REG-LEXUS-IS-300h-HYBRID-2-5-E-CVT-AUTO-NEW-SHAPE-DAMAGED-SALVAGE-/222028635242?hash=item33b1f01c6a:g:ZpQAAOSwKtVWxx09

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links