Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

51 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

If gear changes are quicker why is it slower than the manual. 0-60 and top speed also.

Haven't a clue and not really bothered.....maybe the ratios are different ?

You firstly make the mistake of assuming I drive an auto to save £200 a year, now you're assuming that I require a performance car.  I agree that performance is important, but 1 second difference in 0-60 isn't going to make a huge difference to me as long as the performance is adequate in the first place.  The IS250 performance does only fall in to the adequate zone.

My main purchasing criteria were reliability. comfort, prestige and looks primarily.  Your manual possessed all of those features too.

I may contribute to this thread in the future, but it won't be in response to one of your posts ERIC.  Responding to one who always has to have the last say has become tedious.

Enjoy your Merc.  Maybe you should exercise your posting skills on their forum, after all, you do own one of their cars, not a Lexus.

8 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Haven't a clue and not really bothered.....maybe the ratios are different ?

You firstly make the mistake of assuming I drive an auto to save £200 a year, now you're assuming that I require a performance car.  I agree that performance is important, but 1 second difference in 0-60 isn't going to make a huge difference to me as long as the performance is adequate in the first place.  The IS250 performance does only fall in to the adequate zone.

My main purchasing criteria were reliability. comfort, prestige and looks primarily.  Your manual possessed all of those features too.

I may contribute to this thread in the future, but it won't be in response to one of your posts ERIC.  Responding to one who always has to have the last say has become tedious.

Enjoy your Merc.  Maybe you should exercise your posting skills on their forum, after all, you do own one of their cars, not a Lexus.

Pipe down a bit, I never directly referenced you about saving 200 quid a year or whatever on VED.  Your comment on paddle shifts being faster on the auto stick were incorrect and I was only correcting.  

toffee_pie .....

Why, when you have taken the time in finding the car you like, leaving the Lexus brand which is undoubtedly a marque that competes at a level the same or even higher in some cases with the likes of Mercedes and BMW are you continuing to make a point on this forum that you have done so? This forum, correct me if I am wrong is for the owners of the Lexus brand.

I am not stating anyone cant post on the forum, that's for the moderators to determine but this is one of the best forums out there for the Lexus brand and the users of its cars - we would not be using it if we drove any other brand such as Ford / Mercedes or a Hick branded Tonka toy .... isn't there a Mercedes forum you could be posting on or do you regret leaving the Lexus brand that much that you need to come back to the Lexus forum to continue commenting against users posts? Love them or hate them - this site is for Lexus users ....

Lexus aren't sports cars, at least the majority of the ones we drive aren't - I have actually driven a manual, quite a lot actually and I own an auto. Its personal choice, I prefer the auto, that's why I bought it to have the option of using the manual shift if I wanted to and its honestly good to have the option to switch between them both effectively having the manual option for less cost (tax wise). I bought mine to keep and I will do. I have no intention of selling - yes life is too short - to short to worry about what you drive once you have found what you like and if you are happy with what you have then move on ... cut the grass, plant a tree and be happy.

That's my annual rant over ...

:whip:

clearly this thread is dragged into places it should not go. The main points I was making is that Lexus did not sell very well in the uk and that they are a very good purchase second hand, clearly the subject on manuals and auto is a delicate one here so its best left alone.

• Like 1

Wow talk about going off topic.... The vast majority of second hand buyers won't go near a car with 160k miles on the clock, however reliable a mark may be perceived. Whilst there is truth in the tax and running cost argument but it's highly likely that the mileage made the car difficult to shift.

I have a family friend who owns a 2nd hand car garage and been a trader for years. He wont touch a car over 90k miles because they are a tough sell. 

Also a quick Google search typically done by most people new to the mark will reveal the vast majority of articles/sites/guides etc reccomend the auto box. Thus demand for the manual will be lower. 

Guys its opinions in the end. apple and oranges.

Yes, I have noticed eastern europeans buy high millage luxury cars.  Passat, BMW are top on their list. 

Lexus is not for europe. Its a great car for DIY as its far simpler to work it. But lack of them on road means less parts.

41 minutes ago, piasek said:

It's all depend on price tbh. I've just sold my vw passat with over 170k in under 24hrs. I didn't expect this so car was sold with 3/4 tank of petrol and full tank of lpg. I have to say thay people from East Europe are not scared of high mileages but unfortunately for Lexus owners they are more familiar with German cars.

Much cheaper to run an old European car than a Lexus. Many third party parts are available for a fraction of the cost from a dealer, and plenty of scrapped cars/used parts available. 

Heated debates again lol.

All of you have valid points but you all come from different backgrounds and style of driving therefore have different opinions which is awesome.

I've had performance cars in the past all manuals, i wanted an auto next because i got tired of driving manuals (use to get stuck in traffic often on my last job, I think my left calf was bigger than the right), not a big fan of the german cars but wouldnt say no if i found a good one. Took me a while but I discovered the Lexus brand and like the look of the IS250, plus it had 4 doors and a big boot (wife approves), other 4/5 door cars we looked at were EVOs, Impreza, Mazda 3 MPS, X-trail, Qashqai, X5, Lexus GS etc

You do get more for your money regardless manual or auto, I think the auto will have a slight advantage in price due to the tax. Regards to performance, manuals are usually faster than auto (not always the case tho), but we shouldn't be discussing 'speed' in a car that is in the 8 second range as I'm sure people would've bought something else. Those who just want to cruise and the occasional blast will not be disappointed in either. The IS250 is a luxury car with the looks, comfort, toys and reliability. My brother bought the late BMW 325 (3 litre version) recently, full service history etc, told me last week the computer said there is 1 failed injector. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links