Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

General corrosion on underside? MOT advisory remark

What would "general corrosion" cover when put as Advisory on an MOT cert? Should I worry?

I guess the answer is to actually get under the car (a prospective purchase) and look about. (Or miss it)

Also has Front and rear discs pitted or corroded.

Do we think both a result of our salted-in-winter roads?

Car in South Wales......RX 300.

Hi Chris

The term is broadspeak for any rust affecting metalwork on the chassis and ancillary parts if it relates to components such as spring hangers or suspension parts and specifically states the condition such as severe or structural then the corrosion is serious.

I would take your car to one of the chains (Halfords Kwik fit) and ask them to put it on the lift for say a brake check then inspect the underside yourself.

The areas that were light on body underseal on this model were the area above the back subframe and up above the front start of the firewall behind the engine.

I had this as an advisory two or three years ago.  My mechanic, who wasn't at that time an MOT tester but knows the car well, told me not to worry.  He thought there was probably a new tester at the MOT station who wanted to impress.  Sure enough, the following year the car sailed through the test without any work having been done.

.............. I bet it's not corrosion at all, it's surface, rust coloured water discoloration of the original surface ............  at most !

Corrosion is an absolutely different thing so far as MOT failures are concerned  ...  has anyone ever heard of any Ls400 being scrapped or failed an MOT from corrosion ?

It upsets me when a new MOT tester try's to impress but singularly fails to do so, just showing he's totally ignorant of reality

( rant over )

Malc

Car is sold now anyway, but always good to increase knowledge?

Just rembered I tested an RX 300 for 'The Independent' in 2003; (when I had my 400 Ser 3) and thought it under powered, but luxurious.

These days, I'd just take the comfort and chug.

Similar with mine regarding the brakes, 1st MOT after I bought it had advisories for front brake flexihoses cracked and discs scored.

Test was done by a local company with around 4 centres.

For the remaining 10 years it has gone to my local independent garage and these 2 items have never been mentioned since even though they have never been replaced and the discs are still originals.

Most MOT testers put down advisories for even the smallest things these days to cover themselves. With regard to rust, most japanese cars get the surface corrosion, but it seldom goes any further. Have a look at an S type Jag if you want to see real corrosion.

Pete

i have had mentions regarding rust on all sorts of components also,on MOT,i have had it up on a lift and its just surface discolouration really

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links