Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential new ISF Owner.

Hello there, I'm currently in a position to purchase an ISF. Just a few queries and questions.

The car I want is £22492 it has 58k miles. It's a 2010 model. Is this a sensible offer? I've checked the service history and it appears to of been well looked after.

The only problem is it's with Evans Halshaw and they're an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Secondly what's the practicality of the car like? I have twin girls who are 10 months and it will be used as a family car until the missus buys her new car, surprisingly both car seats fit in the back no problem as I've read it can get cramped in the back, also the double buggy fits in the boot with room to spare which is also an added bonus! Whats the real life fuel consumption and costs like? It's no big issue trying to get an idea of what i'll be paying, as my last car was a Citroen C6 and they're quite thirsty.

Thirdly whats the serviceability and reliability like, are the parts expensive or can be sourced elsewhere? I've read that they're amazingly reliable and mechanically sound just want some first hand knowledge as the C6 has had £2500 repairs in 1 year, I don't want a repeat of that.

I just want a feel for things and somebody to convince me that it would be a good purchase as I've long admired them.

Hi and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

I cant help with your present queries but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Hi Huutch

Welcome to LOC

I can't comment as to the IS-F specifics as I'm not lucky enough to own one

Regarding the rear seats, it is cramped but mostly for adults, I'm on the short side and my grown-up daughters are OK in the rear seats. But my daughters boyfriend who is well over 6ft has to sit in the front.

The boot is roomy enough I find, but not being able to fold the seats down limit the practicality. But that's not why you're looking at the IS-F is it?

I think general servicing costs from Lexus are reasonable, they're all listed on the lexus website.

If you're worried about unforeseen bills then a Lexus Warranty plan is worth considering. By all accounts (do a forum search) repairs under warranty go through without any of the quibbling that some 3rd party warranty plans have a reputation for.

One condition for Lexus Warranty is that the car must be serviced by Lexus.

The only issue in the back is headroom, as the car is very much "coupe-like" shape. There is not that much space for the legs either, but average adult fits just fine.

While I am not owner of IS-F it is quite easy to see by other threads that IS is generally very reliable cars and little can go wrong if properly maintained. At the same time Lexus service pricing is very reasonable, so no reason to skip it. Similarly, regarding fuel economy I cannot give information from my personal experience, but looking around forum it is 20-28MPG, you can get onto low 30's in motorway, and as low as 16-18MPG in heavy traffic. I might be wrong, but it seems IS-F owners are averaging around 24MPG in long term. 

Can't help you with the dealer or price, however in 3 years I've so far done 60k in my IS-F and all it's needed has been routine servicing and tyres. 

Compared to the variety of other stuff I've had in the past, it's remarkably robust and reliable. I did take out the extended warranty, however the car is so good that it's only a safety blanket. I've got no intention to change the car as it suits what I do with it perfectly.

The most expensive service parts I've needed have been the brake pads and discs, however they are off the shelf brembo items which can be bought for a lot less than paying for the same things in a Lexus box (which I annoyingly discovered about a week after I'd paid for my local Lexus dealer to fit the badged ones).

I did buy an 18 yr old range rover to lug junk around, after I got fed up with the amount of room. Particularly noticeable when retrieving student offspring in the summer holidays as well as trips down the tip etc. I think i'd been somewhat spoilt space wise as I traded a Land cruiser for the IS-F. 

It may be worth noting that I did not even consider ditching the IS-F for something with more load space, I like the car that much - enough performance and you can't beat the reliability, or, in my own experience, the dealer service which has been spot on.

I am going to need to get some stone chips sorted out, combination of a few trips to Germany and relatively soft paintwork. 

Also, re MPG, I can echo what Linas says, UK motorway - around 31, depending on how you drive it, Autobahn, a bit less....

My overall average is a tad under 26.

Hello,

This is my 4th Lexus, although my first IS-F, nothing has gone wrong with any of them, absolutely nothing.

I struggle to see 30 mpg on a motorway, maybe it is my driving style, but that is not what the car is about for me.

servicing can be expensive, I have mine on a service package, speak to your local dealer, and as others have said discs and pads are eye wateringly expensive from Lexus.

The car is superb though, you will not be disappointed.

I've a 7 month old and a 7 year old and the 4 of us fit in no problem at all....the adults I've had in the back have also been surprised at how spacious it is.

Real life MPG for mine so far in the 2 months and 1500 miles I've done is around the 22mpg mark, but I do a lot of short journeys which brings this down.....averaged 32.5 on a motorway cruise sticking to speed limits.

Reliability wise all I've read is that as long as the service history is kept up and it's well looked after then you shouldn't have any problems......the servicing costs seem pretty reasonable too with brakes tyres etc obviously pretty expensive. 

I'm 5 months in and the car makes me smile everytime I get in. I opted for peace of mind with the lexus warranty (probably won't be needed) and discounted 2yr service package. I travel a short distance to work so my average mpg is about 20, don't get near a motorway to get the mpg up! Looking forward to giving the ISF a good run down to Cornwall next week!

Just under 6 months into ownership for me. Used as a daily driver I've managed nearly 4000 miles at an overall average of 19.7mpg (around £1k of Shell V Power). Motorway runs have returned around 30mpg whilst making progress but the majority of my driving is stop start city driving.

It's as practical as you could ask a 4 door performance saloon to be. No problems to report (as expected for a Lexus). I've opted for a discounted 3 year service plan  from my local dealer for £1296. That is for 2 major and 1 minor service and includes MOTs and one air con service too. 

A set of tyres will cost you anywhere between £600-750. Brakes are expensive from a main dealer but can be purchased cheaper elsewhere as already mentioned. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have ruled out the IS-F simply because of the room in the back - and also the boot.

I wouldn't say I am tall - 5ft 11 - but my daughter can easily kick the seat from her car seat.

She is 3 years old - of average height for age (94cm).

She now has a bike which I tried a lexus IS250 with (dealer isn't far from me) and tbh it fit but it was a faf. SO decided the ISF meant its a no.

We will be holidaying more in the south of france when she starts school so it looks like a A6 for me next - I do 7k miles a year including France - which at the moment am trying to say to the missus to get the s6 - 4.0 v8 twin turbo with cylinder de activation. Should get similar mpg to the lexus but has tonnes more room.

Shame because I love the ISF too - maybe when the kids are in booster seats I will be able to have one!

You should manage average 24mpg easily enough, most do. But if you use them hard this can drop to 16-18mpg - maybe lower.

Unless the car your looking at has extended warranty (which it may have) - most cost effective may to service them would be a good indepedant garage you can trust, although for basic services, Lexus dont really do anything special.

As for consumables - tyres try Camskills. I also just changed all brake pads for less than £67 (yes - 67 quid), and really easy to do. Castrol oil was £64 for 10 ltrs, and a filter is £10. Buying these and supplying them to whoever services car will save you quite a bit too.

Not sure if I would have an ISF as an only car, but sure its possible.

I'll be a new owner in a few hours so it's great to hear that consumables are reasonably priced!                                                                                                                                               Has anyone got Pagid pads fitted to their car and if so are they decent? Front pads are the first job I need to do?

Pagid pads are great on these if your not going to go slamming around on track. Better cold bite than the Brembo's and no squealing but resistance to fade is reduced. You'll never get anywhere near fading them on the road. I swapped both front disks and pads last sunday, OEM brembo disks with Pagid pads, AP Racing brake fluid. 1.5hrs total, very easy and all in £165.

Good news on the purchase, great choice. Pics and details please when you have them...

Thanks Dave for the info! I'll be ordering some pads today.

There are a couple of things I'm undecided about...Opinions please.

1) The car has FLSH so I could buy a 2 year warranty from Lexus for peace of mind but what would you do in my situation?

2) Lexus does a service plan for cars over 5 years(1 major, 1 minor & 2 MOT's). Does it work out a lot cheaper than individual servicing with them?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links