Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In my search for a ls400 ive been offered both an early and a later ls400. In the real world is there much difference.  Am i correct thinking early ones dont have traction control

I think only the Mk4 (1998-2000) has traction control, as neither of my Mk3s have it.

The Mk1 and Mk2 are very similar (the Mk2 had bigger wheels and brakes) and the Mk3 and Mk4 are similar but with quite a few differences. Have a look on www.lexls.com (fourth letter is "l") in the Info section - there is a LS Generation link which details all the differences.

The MK4 has the vvti engine ( more or less the same as the LS430) 

I know I mentioned it recently but the dark green one on eBay really looks nice, and if I were in the market I'd be up north looking at it, especially looking at the reg number if my name was John!

Beauty is in the eye etc, but I personally think that the mk3 and mk4 in styling was a backward step to the Mk 1 and Mk2.

Its that front wing  that looks slab like without the crease.  It became a fashion with Mercedes which Lexus clearly copied to iron out the crease, but look at todays Cars and the crease is certainly back in fashion..

Looks being 90% of consideration in my book, and the non intervention engine so if the Cam belt goes you don't wreck the engine being the other 10%)  Daresay performance doesn't match of course but as I say Beauty etc etc etc

• Like 1

The mk4 from 1997 onwards has the VVT engine which gave a bit more power and torque and better economy, 5 speed transmission, touch screen sat nav, climate and audio controls etc, revised styling and Xenon headlights with auto levelling.

Many say the mk4 is the best LS400 they made, some would even argue the best Lexus ever made.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Beauty is in the eye etc, but I personally think that the mk3 and mk4 in styling was a backward step to the Mk 1 and Mk2.

Its that front wing  that looks slab like without the crease.  It became a fashion with Mercedes which Lexus clearly copied to iron out the crease, but look at todays Cars and the crease is certainly back in fashion..

Looks being 90% of consideration in my book, and the non intervention engine so if the Cam belt goes you don't wreck the engine being the other 10%)  Daresay performance doesn't match of course but as I say Beauty etc etc etetc

I certainly understand what you're saying, my silver 93 MK2 looked so good when it was buffed up! It was a car I drove for 5 years with very little in the way of problems, and most people loved the look of it.  I went from that to a 1999 MK4 and I have to say the difference was so noticeable in a very positive way, handling, seat comfort, dash layout and various gadgets, but I'll never forget the MK2, it was fantastic!

Martin

I concur with your last comment in your appraisal ;

The LS400 was overall from concept to final production 18 years in development there is not a modern car ever that had that degree of onward improvement in some instances a complete change of suspension and major improvement to the chassis.

There really was the pursuit of perfection going on then ,but I do not think it is as relevant in todays models.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links