Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SatNav question

Hi folks, I have a query regarding the SatNav.

Next week I have to go to Norwich from Exmouth and, when I go onto the internet to 'Plan a route' they all take me via the M25 which Is the way I do not want to go. I assume that my SatNav will do exactly the same.  I can't choose the 'No Motorways' option because I have to go up the M5 and the M4 but, I can't tell my SatNav that can I.

It is my intention to leave the M4 at Junction 15 and head towards Oxford.  I have input the postcode of the hotel where I will be staying in Norwich and the route will be set when I'm ready to go.  Do I just drive to Junction 15 (M4) and then turn off and allow the SatNav to recalculate and hopefully take me where I want to go or, will it keep trying to get me heading back towards the M25. or should I stop and re-programme the SatNav by then utilising the 'No Motorways' option.

On a side note, I wonder if any of you have any experience of driving back from Norwich in this direction and, in the Summer at holiday times.  What can I expect the traffic to be like?

Thanks folks.

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

Hi folks, I have a query regarding the SatNav.

Next week I have to go to Norwich from Exmouth and, when I go onto the internet to 'Plan a route' they all take me via the M25 which Is the way I do not want to go. I assume that my SatNav will do exactly the same.  I can't choose the 'No Motorways' option because I have to go up the M5 and the M4 but, I can't tell my SatNav that can I.

It is my intention to leave the M4 at Junction 15 and head towards Oxford.  I have input the postcode of the hotel where I will be staying in Norwich and the route will be set when I'm ready to go.  Do I just drive to Junction 15 (M4) and then turn off and allow the SatNav to recalculate and hopefully take me where I want to go or, will it keep trying to get me heading back towards the M25. or should I stop and re-programme the SatNav by then utilising the 'No Motorways' option.

On a side note, I wonder if any of you have any experience of driving back from Norwich in this direction and, in the Summer at holiday times.  What can I expect the traffic to be like?

Thanks folks.

Don't have experience of that area but as you suggested it will reroute and you could change Road Preferences once your at the junction before the M25.   Be good of it did allow you to avoide certain roads planning a route but eveb Google Maps doesn't although I thought I've seen something ages ago that lets you drag the line over certain roads.  It's on Map my ride now I think about it.   Could use something like that then upload the gpx file if that's possible. 

You could turn off the motorway option as it'll take you on motorways if it really has to anyway. Keep the motorway option off and then keep going on the motorway until the exit you want to go to

You could set way points such as Oxford,  Aylesbury,  Luton,  letchworth, then as you approach each way point,  delete it so it routes you to the next one, I think you will find the route quite slow and busy though, as there are few "fast" roads on the route you are taking.

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

No, certainly don't know the way.  I've never been further than Swindon in that general direction.

Best way is to set the sat nav, then just follow it lol. What's so bad about the m25? 

"Best way is to set the sat nav, then just follow it lol. What's so bad about the m25?"

I've never been on the M25, I can only go by the fact that I've never heard anything said about it that is good, only a multitude of horror stories.

39 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

"Best way is to set the sat nav, then just follow it lol. What's so bad about the m25?"

I've never been on the M25, I can only go by the fact that I've never heard anything said about it that is good, only a multitude of horror stories.

Its not that bad - been on it twice and it was fine, Id say go the M25 - its only an issue if you start doing 100mph on it as you WILL get hit with a multitude of speeding cameras

No body ever reports a good journey do they? For me I'd go A30/A303/M3/M25/M11/A11. There's a roadwork average speed section on the M3 that really suits the mpg, and the M25 where you join it will be busy past the Heathrow section. Still think it's better than heading so far north and then navigating around Oxford, I can't see a direct route from Oxford to Norwich. YMMV of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really depends on the time of day (and which day) you hit the M25. People in London use it because it may be slow, but it's still quicker than a lot of the alternatives. You say your route would be M5/M4 - that sounds equally frightening to me, as we've all heard horror stories about the M5 at certain times in August.

If you go to https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/ you can check the live traffic on the route to see what delays you could expect at a similar time of day.

The M25 on Weekdays is fine between about 9:30 and 3:00pm, if you come up the M3 or M4 you will only be on it about 40 minutes if you take the M11.

I have hit the M25 at 5:00 pm coming back from Exeter and sailed around with no traffic, even when busy you will normally still do 30-40mph most of the way.

4 hours ago, Dippo said:

It really depends on the time of day (and which day) you hit the M25. People in London use it because it may be slow, but it's still quicker than a lot of the alternatives. You say your route would be M5/M4 - that sounds equally frightening to me, as we've all heard horror stories about the M5 at certain times in August.

If you go to https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/ you can check the live traffic on the route to see what delays you could expect at a similar time of day.

Agreed, the M5 is a dog of a road - worse than the M25 at certain points

I always use the SatNav, even for known journeys, so that it warns me of congestions ahead and work out a different route before I get there.

Also, I have found that known routes are not always the quickest!

In response to your question, I am pretty sure there is an "avoid" feature buried in the satnav settings, where you can force the satnav to not select certain routes.

An alternative, which I have used before successfully, is to break your journey up into separate sections. Rather than the satnav taking you directly to your destination,, you can then force it to go via specific locations.

On 8/11/2016 at 0:22 PM, bluenose1940 said:

That is strange to hear... I always feel relief when I finally get on M25 and generally motorway. As Rayaan said - 85-90MPH is the speed you want to stick to in outside lane, but if you want to go slower, there are plenty people doing 60 in first 2 lanes. 

General, advise shortest root is not necessary most fuel efficient and if you not using M25 during peak hours, it can prove being quite good for efficiency. Finally, looking to your route the M25 seems to be most sensible option. For me that would be the best part of the journey.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links