Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all, my gs450h has duff AC. As none of the pipework was remotely cold, i suspected a leak. I was right. The ATS guy pressurised the system but it didnt hold. He says it could 'be anything' (obviously) but i didnt have time to start taking the system apart. I asked if the UV dye would be visible later when i took the car home, he said no, the dye is only visible when the system is pressurised.

Any ideas where i go from here? The condensor maybe? Or more likely, a seal somewhere.

Is there a kit i can buy to pressurise the system with normal air so i know where to look?

thanks guys/girls

Not sure about not being able to see it. I had my ls filled and they said if it leaks come  back. I went back a week later.and we could see it had been leaking from condenser and compresser 

Please excuse my ignorance, but isn't the point of the dye to see where the leak is?

Couldn't the ATS guy have a look and see where it was when it was pressurised?

Be very aware that the ATS guy does not use equipment that has been used on non hybrid cars. This can cause contamination of the special oil (ND11) used in the hybrid electric compressor. Normal AC systems use PAG oil. This conducts electricity, and once even a very small amount of it gets into a hybrid AC system can and will cause high voltage leaks in the electric compressor motor shutting down the car completely. This may not happen immediately, but will some weeks down the line.

The reason for using dye is so that it can be seen after the gas has escaped under ultra violet light.

I do my own top ups using "Rothenberger" plumbers pipe freezer spray. This is available at B&Q, Wicks, and Screwfix. It is the correct pure refrigerant with no oil. You will need to make up your own delivery system. If all the pressure has gone you will need the services of a professional.

Toyota or Lexus dealers are the only people I would trust with this apart from AC only service places.

John

@shahpor, no, as stated, they would need to have booked it in to take the trims/system apart to find the leak, and i am not prepared to pay the £50 an hour rate for them to do something that i can do! cheers

@britprius  yes, the ATS guy did ask if it was a hybrid, and said it will be extra, as special oils are needed etc. I am happy to take it back for regas as opposed to buying the kit and doing it myself, but i need to find the source of leak first

regarding my OP, i had a response from someone on eBay regarding testing the AC system.

This all seems rather long winded. Am i better off using the vacuum method? Or shall i just replace the condensor at £45 used, then take it back to ATS and get the system checked? 

Anyway, here is the response:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your message. This manifold gauge set will allow you to connect to the a/c system and read current and working pressure. You will need this item in conjunction with ofn pressure testing kit to add positive pressure into the system to try and find the leak. You will require a bottle of oxygen free nitrogen and a nitrogen regulator eBay item number 400094554347.

Regards Autokool sales team

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links