Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing

I am looking for some help here. My IS is due for main service soon. I have always send my car to Lexus for servicing.

I am wondering if its really worth sending to them again or should I look for a reputable local garage who will do the same job for half the price. Any advice and help is much appreciated.

as long as the car is under warranty i would always bring it to the dealer for servicing to keep that. Also resale value might be lower if maintenance is done by locals and not a dealer. I see you have a 250 6 cylinder, i drove that for 4 years 150k km and nothing went wrong not even a lightbulb. Servicing at a dealer then is only the regular maintenance, liquids etc and i always found it correct, not expensive. Maybe asking what it will cost and you can try to bring that price down?  A 300hybrid i will always bring to the dealer because of the electrics/hybrid systems. more complicated and also regular software updates etc. 

4 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

as long as the car is under warranty i would always bring it to the dealer for servicing to keep that. 

It's not necessary to go to a main stealer to keep the warranty. 

Lebon - You will get as many different answers to this question as the day is long.

If you find a good independent garage use them. I do most jobs myself but use, and call in for a chat every so often, a brilliant local garage.

No one has to use dealers anymore, during or after warranty. (EU)

But you will find, in my experience, the dealers become obstructive if you need to go to them for help, they'll sometimesl refuse saying you haven't been a loyal customer. (BMW)

Thanks Guys so far for your replies. Its only done just under 25000 miles and dealer is asking £445 for main service.

Its also about trying to find a reputable local garage, as I have never used one so not sure how to find one.Trying to get the majority consensus here

6 minutes ago, lebon said:

Thanks Guys so far for your replies. Its only done just under 25000 miles and dealer is asking £445 for main service.

Its also about trying to find a reputable local garage, as I have never used one so not sure how to find one.Trying to get the majority consensus here

If you tell us your location then a member may be able to point you in the direction of a trustworthy garage.

I'm in the same position with my 300h and despite being under warranty have booked it into an independent for £179 instead of £445, they will also do its first mot at half price.

I have no concerns over them doing the service and feel they will do a better job, every time I have taken the car to lexus it normally resulted in them being unable to do the job properly.

9 hours ago, wh05apk said:

I'm in the same position with my 300h and despite being under warranty have booked it into an independent for £179 instead of £445, they will also do its first mot at half price.

I have no concerns over them doing the service and feel they will do a better job, every time I have taken the car to lexus it normally resulted in them being unable to do the job properly.

Have you always used this independent for the servicing on your 300h, or is this the first time now your your car is approaching 3 yr old?

Are you extending your warranty too ?

18 hours ago, wh05apk said:

TBH youre profile is showing as living in Essex.

Generally all the Lexus dealers Ive been to down south are pretty crap in comparison to the ones up north. Milton Keynes upwards they get better IMO.

This s the first time I have used them for this car, but have used them on other cars for a few years. I bought the car used, the first service was just a minor service so used Lexus, but nearly £500 for a relatively basic service and mot is just too much, I expect to pay more, but not more than double is just too much.

They did give me a quote, and I think for about 15,000 miles a year it was somethin like £40-50pm, I can get done independently for the equivalent of about £25pm (my next service due is the 40,000 one, so now getting into the ridiculously expensive services.

I am not worried about the hybrid side, it is not a serviceable component, and similar system in the prius is almost totally reliable. I will also not be extending the warranty, have never done on any cars, and feel generally modern cars and hopefully especially Lexus are extremely reliable.

My local Toyota dealer after first agreeing to service my is300h then refused, told me to take it to Lexus. They were the same price but local to me unlike Lexus which is a 70 mile round trip. Odd as Toyota finance happy for me to use Toyota dealer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links