Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

De-icer 2...

I noticed that in the "Climate" menu of the RX450h, there is a "button" to switch some windscreen de-icing function on/off. The manual is a little confusing in the sense that it mentions that the bottom and edges of the windscreen can become hot to the touch when switched on, but does not actually suggest that it would de-ice the whole windscreen.

Is this just to prevent the wipers from sticking to the windscreen? - in this case, why does this heat up the sides of the screen?

Or does it actually de-ice the whole screen by some conductive process where the heat from the edges gradually spreads through the whole screen?

Needless to say I have only just noticed this "button" and never used this function. This is not a menu I normally visit!

Thanks in advance!

Never used it Dan, but i believe that it is just to stop the wipers from sticking. Usually have a frost cover on mine (its too big to go in the garage :-) )

Had to replace the windscreen this summer (Note to all - NEVER use Autoglass!!!!! They messed me around something chronic). i insisted on the OEM not Pilkington replacement, so i would have this feature - just in case, National Windscreens were outstanding in replacing this. 

7 hours ago, DanD said:

I noticed that in the "Climate" menu of the RX450h, there is a "button" to switch some windscreen de-icing function on/off. The manual is a little confusing in the sense that it mentions that the bottom and edges of the windscreen can become hot to the touch when switched on, but does not actually suggest that it would de-ice the whole windscreen.

Is this just to prevent the wipers from sticking to the windscreen? - in this case, why does this heat up the sides of the screen?

Or does it actually de-ice the whole screen by some conductive process where the heat from the edges gradually spreads through the whole screen?

Needless to say I have only just noticed this "button" and never used this function. This is not a menu I normally visit!

Thanks in advance!

Yes its a feature to stop the windscreen wipers sticking. It won't be able to de-ice the whole windscreen.

I believe that the system only turns on for 15 minutes and glass isnt a good conductor, in fact its actually an insulator and therefore unlikely to de-ice the whole windscreen through conduction.

Oh well, never mind. Thanks all the same.

I wonder why so few manufacturers have opted to install heated windscreens, like Ford's. Such a brilliant, yet apparently simple solution.

On 08/11/2016 at 7:55 AM, DanD said:

Oh well, never mind. Thanks all the same.

I wonder why so few manufacturers have opted to install heated windscreens, like Ford's. Such a brilliant, yet apparently simple solution.

And sometimes it's a PITA. You can see the wires in certain lighting that are embedded into the glass.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links