Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tyre Dust cover cap seized

Ever since I have replaced tyres by kwikfit, the front ones, I had noticed corrosion in the cap. I used to check air regularly so used to use copper grease.

Being busy for a month, didn't do this now one of the cap is seized. How do I unseize it? I tried hot water, wd40 and used a 10mm ratchet but it won't move.

Thanks. Tried that as well. With mix of all above and then used wise grips and nose pliar broke it free.

Now why is this only happening on the fronts after kwikfit valves and tyres and doesn't happen in the back? I cannot apply grease every week...

Hmm, I have learnt this lesson unfortunately. After trying all your methods you did I decided to saw cut across the cap to allow me to apply a screwdriver to while using a pipe spanner to hold the valve stem. You can guess what happened next, I managed to scratch my alloy (not enough duck tape!) and the cap itself split. In the end I admitted defeat and took it to my local tyre place (at least with the cap split they could let out the air) and got them to revalve it. Cost me about £12 iirc. 

• Like 1

Well, its the type of valve that doesn't like metal. I think it is galvanic corrosion.

I bought these front caps from Lexus as kwikfit kept the orignals and used palstic. Maybe they knew metal will cause problems.

I see now why one would always use dealer for tyres and anything else and aviod indy or kwikfit.

I have not seen any problem with lexus fitted tyres on the back. The valve stem looks different.

I had been using copper grease but I think water makes its way.

3 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

Well, its the type of valve that doesn't like metal. I think it is galvanic corrosion.

I bought these front caps from Lexus as kwikfit kept the orignals and used palstic. Maybe they knew metal will cause problems.

I see now why one would always use dealer for tyres and anything else and aviod indy or kwikfit.

I have not seen any problem with lexus fitted tyres on the back. The valve stem looks different.

I had been using copper grease but I think water makes its way.

HI jack iv tried loads of different dust caps, all different price range also. I have plastic on now dont particular like them, but have no problem with them

all tyre fitters use them for a reason. Nothing worse than pliers on the valve stem,trying to get a dust cap off. And i never say to myself what lovely dust

caps a certain car has on.Often think great wheels, its each to their own on this subject im for plastic.

• Like 1

Must b common issue again as when I bought my is220d went to see is220d in Leicester in a garage, 1 tyre was flat tried to open metal dust cap to pump tyre so that I could test drive it they just couldn't open it took ages in there. 

In the end gave up they lost sale as v left due to dust cap issue 

Not had any issues with Lexus dust caps.

Some plonker stole my RX OEM dust caps so got some from Kwik Fit - bog standard metal ones. Still no issues and its been a few years.

I find they seize if putting them on too tight TBH. You only need finger pressure to put them on. Also, acidic wheel cleaners are a culprit as well - essentially dont take your car to the local car wash if you have metal caps on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links