bobjol

Fuel Additives.

I know its a controversial subject, but would welcome any constructive opinions on the use of fuel additives.

My LS430 with 94,000 miles, starts and runs perfectly in all conditions. The engine feels good and has no issues.

Every few months or so, I tip a load of Redex into the tank, only because it costs £2 a bottle at my local shop and has always been around

on forecourts for as long as I can remember (and that's a long time). Am I just wasting my money or is it actually keeping the internals clean?

I use supermarket fuels most of the time, and at £1.27 a litre, who can resist it.?  For longer journeys its always the BP super fuel.  I feel guilty about

putting cheap fuel with all its nasty extras into a V8 engine.  I am happy to continue with the Redex, but if anyone has bad experiences, I would love to hear about it.

Hi Bob, it was discuss a little in this thread. Personally I use it very rarely but do not think it is bad for engine and the fuel system. Also Depends on the mileage you do, for me the use of Redex may be once/twice a year is enough and I do about 8k miles, I also use mostly SHELL gas stations.

Cheers

Vlady

I was putting one squeeze of redex in for every gallon I dispensed as a forecourt attendant some 50 years ago when I was a lad ...............  never did me any harm :rolleyes:

but that was into simply leaded petrol, I've no idea what the intricacies of it all are with hardened " heads " and lead removed from fuel just to what benefits there might be .  apart from the obvious it sells more product for the oil majors.

My V8 has never had redex nor much other than supermarket fuel for decades .............  she runs well on that and is 214k miles young

Malc

I also pop the odd bottle in at £2 from ASDA. Does it work. Maybeish. It really needs a proper empirical study to determine results. At £4 a year, I can feel it does work, but in reality, no idea. I feel better though!

I agree.  It cant be doing any harm as I've used it regularly for many years and car has never failed on emissions.

I recently found a blog on another site where a Biker dropped his spark plugs into a small dish of Redex and all the

carbon crap fell off straight away, leaving them bright and shining.  I am sure that the use of Redex will keep injectors

and plugs clean.  Have to say that I am not a representative or have any connection to Redex. This is my opinion only.

The high octane fuels have extra detergents over regular. 

I've only ever used regular unleaded and zero additives ..............  now 215k miles young ..............  if in another 215k miles summat fails I'll just know I'm not doing it right 

I'll let you all know :yahoo:

Malc

• Thanks 1

Fifth Gear on TV - Jason Plato did some comparative tests on "cheap" things to improve performance on an old-ish Golf VR6. He started by putting a bottle of fuel cleaning additive in a tankful of gas, after running it for a week it gave him 6 bhp on the dyno, which was more than he subsequently got from oil/filter change, then plug/leads change. I do this on my LS400 Mk 1 about every 8/10 tankfuls and it seems to wake the motor up a bit each time. Can't do any harm, anyway . . . . .