Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wandering, unstable car after changing rear tyres

Hey guys! I have an IS300H 2017. After changing the rear tyres to Uniroyal Rainsport, the car became very unstable and its wandering on the road, I have to adjust the steering all the time in order to keep the car in lane. My front tyres are Nexen. Did anyone have this issue? Is it because I have different brand tyres on the front? Or the uniroyal are not suitable for my car? I want to mention that I had a 4 wheel alignment and it became worse after that. I can feel the wanders even at low speeds now. Does any of you know the solution for this? Or any good garage in London who can fix this? Thanks!

I had a similar experience with Rainsport 2s years ago on an Audi A6 (225 50 17). It felt like the car was lurching from side to side at speed (70mph). The softer sidewalls were suspected to be the cause. I sold them at great financial loss and replaced them with Goodyear Efficient Grip. The issue went away. What are your tyre dimensions?

10 minutes ago, chris1601 said:

I had a similar experience with Rainsport 2s years ago on an Audi A6 (225 50 17). It felt like the car was lurching from side to side at speed (70mph). The softer sidewalls were suspected to be the cause. I sold them at great financial loss and replaced them with Goodyear Efficient Grip. The issue went away. What are your tyre dimensions?

255 35 18

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

Mixed tyres is what I would initially suspect as the cause. Was the alignment done when the tyres were changed or after? 

It was done after I replaced the rear tyres. I thought that it would fix the issue, but it made it worse.

5 minutes ago, chris1601 said:

Ok that would be a 79mm sidewall, compared with 112mm on the ones I had. Some have reported better results by increasing the tyre pressure. Worth a try?

I heard that decreasing the tyre pressure would help rather than increasing it. Anyways, I always kept the tyre pessure at 36 psi, the recommended one. I think I will buy 2 Nexens for the rear as well, maybe it would get better. 

3 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Are they directional? Have they been mounted correctly?

Check this first before doing anything else. 

Do you have the printout from your four wheel alignment, showing before and after?

16 minutes ago, MTR999 said:

They are not directional. I drove the car today. It feels like it get worse everyday.

But they are asymmetrical, have they been fitted with the word OUTSIDE to the outside of the car? 

https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/tyre-guide/tyre-knowledge/fitting-rainsport-3

11 hours ago, MTR999 said:

I want to mention that I had a 4 wheel alignment and it became worse after that.

what type of equipment has been used for the alignment

i.e. equipment  shining a light from front to rear

or something like the hunter system that has a transmitter fixed to each wheel and is a wireless system

anyway i would be going back as the issue is worse after the adjustments have taken place.

There’s no question it’s the mixed tyres.  I once punctured a rear tyre of a BMW 325 in a god-forsaken place in the middle of France and virtually destroyed it by driving for several km in order to find a safe place to lay up.  Miraculously, a local garage had two tyres of the right size, albeit Michelins instead of Goodyears, and I gratefully had them fitted only to discover the car was unable to keep a straight line whenever it got up to 80-90kmh or so.  When I got home after a rather terrifying drive, I immediately reverted to four Goodyears and had no further problem.  About a year later, I did a normal change of tyres, satisfactorily adding two new Michelins to the two I had kept, which was a happy ending to a bad story.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rabbers said:

There’s no question it’s the mixed tyres.  I once punctured a rear tyre of a BMW 325 in a god-forsaken place in the middle of France and virtually destroyed it by driving for several km in order to find a safe place to lay up.  Miraculously, a local garage had two tyres of the right size, albeit Michelins instead of Goodyears, and I gratefully had them fitted only to discover the car was unable to keep a straight line whenever it got up to 80-90kmh or so.  When I got home after a rather terrifying drive, I immediately reverted to four Goodyears and had no further problem.  About a year later, I did a normal change of tyres, satisfactorily adding two new Michelins to the two I had kept, which was a happy ending to a bad story.

I had mixed tyres before as well, nexen on the front and Continental on the rear and the car was very stable at any speed, thats why I only changed the rears. I really dont know what to do now, I dont want to spend on new tyres and have the same problem.

What is tyre tread depth on your front tyres ? I have had that wandering feeling simply when fronts were down to about 3mm and I had put new tyres on rear - got two new fronts and problem gone . 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links