Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

46 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Sounds like good news, definitely better than a broken module!

Odd as it sounds.

I switched off ALL the power to our house.

Remotes to our cars worked.

Switched ALL the power back on.

Remotes STILL worked.

[Including my wife's car parked where originally it didn't. ]

How odd.

Getting there ...

25 minutes ago, PCM said:

Odd as it sounds.

Remotes STILL worked.

How odd.

Getting there ...

How long did you wait? Maybe the source of the interference hadn't powered up

31 minutes ago, PCM said:

Odd as it sounds.

Remotes STILL worked.

How odd.

Getting there ...

Have you been reading too much Harry Potter, Piers ?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

How long did you wait? Maybe the source of the interference hadn't powered up

I waited about 5 minutes.

Power has been on a while now... and still all ok.

I DID switch off some other techno-stuff.

So this afternoon, if all still ok, will switch that on slowly, one by one ... 

( Thank you for your replies! Very helpful. )

1 hour ago, PCM said:

I waited about 5 minutes.

Power has been on a while now... and still all ok.

I DID switch off some other techno-stuff.

So this afternoon, if all still ok, will switch that on slowly, one by one ... 

( Thank you for your replies! Very helpful. )

The worst news of all, of course, is that the source of the interference is the WiFi controlled still you have in the attic that's quietly producing gin - - sorry - I meant hand sanitiser

• Haha 1

Do you have a wifi router close to the wall where toe cars a re parked next to at all?

It could be that a certain wifi channel is interfering with your remotes then when you switched everything off and back on the wifi router has now changed to a different channel?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flookyk said:

Do you have a wifi router close to the wall where toe cars a re parked next to at all?

It could be that a certain wifi channel is interfering with your remotes then when you switched everything off and back on the wifi router has now changed to a different channel?

We do... BT and Netgear.

Something to definitely keep in mind!

Thank you.

I think Rich is on the right track here .... well, from my own experience anyway!

I had this on one occasion at a customers house. 

During the course of conversation it came to light they had just had a wireless doorbell fitted. I figured...maybe it corrupted my fob whilst I was stood at their door.

Tried several attempts at unlocking my car and then I stood by my car and used the emergency key to prise the fob apart. I removed the Battery, counted to 10 (no idea why...just seemed a good idea in the moment?!) and put it back in, snapped the fob shut and bingo!!!....all back to normal.

Other folk on the 250 forum have experienced issues with PC Routers, Wireless Garador kit, and even a Wireless Booster at a marina!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, normski2 said:

I think Rich is on the right track here .... well, from my own experience anyway!

Thank you.

( Always love your 'avatar'. )

• Like 1

King Crimson - In The Court of The Crimson KIng

I was 13 when the album came out. It was the moment I 'discovered' a different type of music.

Still play it frequently on vinyl!! Fripp was from my home town - Wimborne, and Greg Lake was from Poole.

So they were kinda local heroes to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately this sort of thing will become more prevalent as time goes on.

In amateur radio we have an abbreviation 'QRM' (from the days of Morse Code) which basically means 'Are you/I am being interfered with' and refers to man-made interference (as opposed to QRN which means naturally-occuring interference or 'atmospherics').

This interesting article here will explain a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Unfortunately this sort of thing will become more prevalent as time goes on.

In amateur radio we have an abbreviation 'QRM' (from the days of Morse Code) which basically means 'Are you/I am being interfered with' and refers to man-made interference (as opposed to QRN which means naturally-occuring interference or 'atmospherics').

This interesting article here will explain a lot.

Without your explanation Herbs, had I seen QRN QRM anywhere I would have assumed that they refer to another couple of Genders invented by the 'right-on PC brigades'

(Apologies - wandering off-topic!)

• Haha 2

Update:

Sort of no update.

Having turned the house power off and on a few days ago, all has been well since.

So I am keeping an eye on it.

I'll update the thread if anything develops.

Thank you to all for your help and support.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2020 at 2:33 PM, PCM said:

Update:

Sort of no update.

Having turned the house power off and on a few days ago, all has been well since.

And still all fine - "which is nice".

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 2:33 PM, PCM said:

Update:

Sort of no update.

If it happens again you can get an app for your Android phone called WiFi Analyser that will show you the channel and strength of WiFi signals where you are.. 

... have a look at the signals when causing the problem then change the channel on your WiFi router and have another look at the Analyser and see if your fobs work then.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flookyk said:

If it happens again you can get an app for your Android phone called WiFi Analyser that will show you the channel and strength of WiFi signals where you are.. 

... have a look at the signals when causing the problem then change the channel on your WiFi router and have another look at the Analyser and see if your fobs work then.

I dunno I reckon it's aliens or Deep State spying on Piers with 5G antennas in order to infect him with COVID-19 via his keyfobs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, flookyk said:

I doubt it's anything to do with wifi.

Car key fobs work in the 433MHz band whereas wifi is 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz.

Most likely source of interference is baby monitors, wireless doorbells, garage and/or gate openers etc., etc.

• Like 1

It is interesting that a power cycle of the house made it go away permanently. The problem was occurring persistently, so whatever the interference was was constant. You'd think that most electronic devices with radios would eventually go back into the same steady state after a reboot. Who knows though, things are so complicated these days, could be a very edge-case bug in some embedded firmware somewhere that triggered an endless loop somehow involving a radio and then triggered the interference.

If it happens again try turning off electronic devices one by one, would be really interesting to know what was responsible.

• Like 1

At the time I switched of CCTV etc., one by one. No difference.

I think it was a case of Amps-go-rogue.

I'll keep thinking though!

• 1 year later...

So, how did you figure it out? I have the same issues with my remote keys, and I have no clue how to fix it. I've read on several forums that the problem might be in door lock actuator or Battery. I have checked my Battery, reprogrammed the remote buttons, unplugged the connector to the actuator and many other things which I can't even describe, but nothing seems to work. My friend advised me to contact locksmith in mill hill and see if they can help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, Jehobar said:

So, how did you figure it out? I have the same issues with my remote keys, and I have no clue how to fix it. I've read on several forums that the problem might be in door lock actuator or battery. I have checked my battery, reprogrammed the remote buttons, unplugged the connector to the actuator and many other things which I can't even describe, but nothing seems to work. My friend advised me to contact locksmith in mill hill and see if they can help.

As above...

• Like 1

Don't know if it has anything to do with anything but just some more info to the pile...

I have two keys, one works fine and as it should, the other, with a new Battery, will not unlock the car with the buttons, the key works in the door, the alarm goes off, you can get in it, start it, and drive away with the alarm still going...!!!

Makes me think that it's the remotes and not the car..... (or maybe not)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links