Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

dutchie01

In the pricelists in Holland as from today and available as from january. Launch edition for sale at 68k Euro which is about thesame price as a well equipped Lexus ES.

With the discussions on Electric Vehicles very well alive i wonder what your opinions will be on this one?

Toyota Mirai
Toyota Mirai
Nieuwe Toyota Mirai
  • Like 2

I think Toyota Hydrogen fuel cell will shortly be the way to go ..............  provided BP, Esso  Shell etc can get their acts together to install refuelling points on their forecourts

I understand Toyota already have a fleet of these cars with the Met Police in London with refuelling points at Hendon, Heathrow and Swindon

Malc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Very interesting. What is the availability of hydrogen in Holland?

Not good. some 20 stations at the moment. Chicken or the egg i guess, no demand as there are no hydrogen cars. And all focus seems to be on EV charging. Btw, the Mirai firstedition will have a very special service. Provided you live not further away from a charging station than 50kms Toyota will collect and deliver your car for filling it up. Now how is that for a service... Full tank will bring you 650km 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malc said:

I understand Toyota already have a fleet of these cars with the Met Police in London with refuelling points at Hendon, Heathrow and Swindon

Yeah the Met had 11 initially, not sure if they have more now. A couple of the London universities have some. There is a London taxi firm that has 50 of them. In total there are close to 200 in the UK, but these are all the first generation vehicle, not the second gen pictured above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Yes I thought so too. What was really noticeable, and JM points it out, is how noisy the Tesla is compared to the "Yota".

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Indeed, and the Tesla looks like a Vauxhall!

Apart from the drivetrain, i do like the car itself. Great design, Rwd and apparently on shortened chassis from the lexus LS. Interior looking spot on as well. This car could have been badged Lexus in my idea. Wasnt there a study of an hydrogen LS some time ago? I wonder why they badged it toyota. It is shorter/smaller than the LS maybe an LS Hydro to follow?

• Like 1

The Toyota wins for me, even though I am a little nervous about hydrogen. My science lecturer mixed pure oxygen and hydrogen in a small plastic bag, then ignited it. The noise from the explosion was terrifying!

I predict the hydrogen fuel cell will be the one to replace diesels for long distance travel - vans especially. 

It would be interesting to know the costs in producing each car - i.e. fuel cell vs large Battery? That will be the main factor for how successful the fuel cell will become. Even if the hydrogen powered car costs more to run, it will be down to the initial price of the vehicle I feel.

What make of hydrogen car does the Met police run? Toyota ?

On 11/14/2020 at 10:18 AM, royoftherovers said:

Indeed he did Brent.

Although he has moved on from his Forum,I believe that he still writes his Telegraph column.

I think it went into administration and is now run by Heycar.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, royoftherovers said:

Yes Toyota Dave and Hydrogen does not drain the National Grid and can be installed at Fuel stations.

Spot on there John/

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, J Henderson said:

James May owns a Mirai, plus a Tesla. He compares them both in this video.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Good post very enjoyable watch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, Malc said:

I think Toyota Hydrogen fuel cell will shortly be the way to go ..............  provided BP, Esso  Shell etc can get their acts together to install refuelling points on their forecourts

Malc

The fuelling point is at Sainsburys, but I have never seen anyone there?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links