Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screen black after battery change

58 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

Only for the fact someone with electronic knowledge could do a repair at a fraction of the price, and if it's a design flaw which seems to be the case there should be zero expense on the customer part. I have on going issues with an unnamed computer manufacturer over a laptop, I wasn't happy with the way things were going and went to the small claims court and won, I got a new replacement machine - unfortunately that too had issues and fed up with my tit for tat dealings I just opened this up myself and look to have done the repair myself. 

All Lexus will do is replaced of the main board, which probably has the same underlying issue as previous.

The guy at Cartronics said "as soon as it's says Lexus it's like Bentley, they put the price up", I took it be was referring to himself. 

12 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

I have done that, they were supposed to get their local service manager to call me back but I was abroad. I'll be trying them on Monday morning. 

So you are happy to chuck away hundreds on a screwed up navigation system?

10 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

The guy at Cartronics said "as soon as it's says Lexus it's like Bentley, they put the price up", I took it be was referring to himself. 

Cowboys 

2 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

So you are happy to chuck away hundreds on a screwed up navigation system?

No I'm not. How it's been clarified as buggered, I'll be calling Lexus and quoting the statements on this forum. As someone said before, forewarned is forearmed. 

15 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

No I'm not. How it's been clarified as buggered, I'll be calling Lexus and quoting the statements on this forum. As someone said before, forewarned is forearmed. 

Small claims court >>>>>

6 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Only for the fact someone with electronic knowledge could do a repair at a fraction of the price, and if it's a design flaw which seems to be the case there should be zero expense on the customer part. I have on going issues with an unnamed computer manufacturer over a laptop, I wasn't happy with the way things were going and went to the small claims court and won, I got a new replacement machine - unfortunately that too had issues and fed up with my tit for tat dealings I just opened this up myself and look to have done the repair myself. 

All Lexus will do is replaced of the main board, which probably has the same underlying issue as previous.

Lexus dont replace anything. They just use get another unit and then send the other one for repair / analysis probably. 

I think the problem is that these cars are having Battery changes at 7-10 years old. Warranty wont cover it even if fully serviced by Lexus and because it only seems to affect the 2013/14 models, and not all of them its unlikely they'll replace for free

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

Just to add to this. 

Please email Lexus UK customer support as this appears to be a running issue with these 2013/14 models. They are quite happy to help and offered a replacement for £500 which in the grand scheme of things is not that much compared to the retail price of these units. 

Hi 

I seem to be a victim of the 2014 curse too, I have a 2014 is f sport and late last year all sounds stopped working and after talking with a few people I had resigned myself to it being the amp that failed, hadn't got the €1077 to get it done till 2 weeks ago and the Lexus dealer did a diagnostic n confirmed same, a different Lexus dealer gave me a price of €911 and went to get it done on Fri, they replaced the amp n nothing changed  so now I'm looking at upwards of €2000 and  not till nxt month  🫣

7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Lexus dont replace anything. They just use get another unit and then send the other one for repair / analysis probably. 

I think the problem is that these cars are having battery changes at 7-10 years old. Warranty wont cover it even if fully serviced by Lexus and because it only seems to affect the 2013/14 models, and not all of them its unlikely they'll replace for free

Is that what I said previously Lexus are hardly going to do board level repair of a circuit board are they- either way anyone paying £500 to replace a dud navi unit with known issues is crazy - I would take them to the small claims, actually I would have that done long ago. 

3 minutes ago, Big T said:

Hi 

I seem to be a victim of the 2014 curse too, I have a 2014 is f sport and late last year all sounds stopped working and after talking with a few people I had resigned myself to it being the amp that failed, hadn't got the €1077 to get it done till 2 weeks ago and the Lexus dealer did a diagnostic n confirmed same, a different Lexus dealer gave me a price of €911 and went to get it done on Fri, they replaced the amp n nothing changed  so now I'm looking at upwards of €2000 and  not till nxt month  🫣

You need to stop screwing around with Lexus and send your unit to some electronic repair shop (not the other one obv) - 90% chance that fix will cost less than £30.plus the labour

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

Is that what I said previously Lexus are hardly going to do board level repair of a circuit board are they- either way anyone paying £500 to replace a dud navi unit with known issues is crazy - I would take them to the small claims, actually I would have that done long ago. 

Its not a "known issue" though. There isnt a TSB or anything like that. On the forums we seem to know about it as we discuss it but its unlikely Lexus have had a massive influx of these units going kaput compared to the number of cars on the road, especially when its only caused when the Battery is replaced, and only if the Battery is replaced without a memory saver

37 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Its not a "known issue" though. There isnt a TSB or anything like that. On the forums we seem to know about it as we discuss it but its unlikely Lexus have had a massive influx of these units going kaput compared to the number of cars on the road, especially when its only caused when the battery is replaced, and only if the battery is replaced without a memory saver

It's the same as the laptop I had to take to court, did unmentioned company declare a worldwide recall despite widespread issues? Of course not, sometimes you need to play hard. Do you work with lexus?

21 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

If it is made by Pioneer and has an SD-slot then it will have nav and will probably work. Ideally you want one the same as what you have - real part code 86804-53P40 or 86804-53P41. You could try the 86130-53183 (real part code 86804-53P51) Mark Levinson one as it may just be cosmetic differences but I'd make sure I could return it in case it doesn't like being connected to your Pioneer amp and not the ML one.

Have they returned your faulty unit? I'd be interested in taking a look at it to see what has failed - although there could be multiple faults on it now if someone has had it apart.

Sorry to repeat myself, this is not limited ro 2013/2014 models I have a late 2015 (65 plate Fsport) that suffered the same failure.

If it helps I replaced an 86130-53M52 with an older 86130-53M42, but they are all marked with the manufacturers number NXF-9238 ZTOM so they should be equivalent items (ZTOM is the UK variant). If they have slight cosmetic differences (which happened between 2014 and 2015) it is relatively simple to change the front panel, which I had to do.

It would be good if you could get a more detailed analysis as I still have my broken unit that I would like to fix.

Question: 1) If I have Lexus change my 12V Battery and the amplifier subsequently fails, who pays for repair/ replacement?

2) Is there a preferred method to changing the Battery that ensures no spikes?

I have had many non-hybrid cars and changed many “normal” 12V batteries on them without any problems. What is so special about this problem. My current car is the is300h fsport, 65 plate, (bought in 2016) and has the original Battery so I am expecting (one day) to have to change the Battery, hence my questions. By the way, I love this car and can’t imagine what I would replace it with.

Thanks for any useful responses.

54 minutes ago, Pompeyscouser said:

Question: 1) If I have Lexus change my 12V battery and the amplifier subsequently fails, who pays for repair/ replacement?

2) Is there a preferred method to changing the battery that ensures no spikes?

I have had many non-hybrid cars and changed many “normal” 12V batteries on them without any problems. What is so special about this problem. My current car is the is300h fsport, 65 plate, (bought in 2016) and has the original battery so I am expecting (one day) to have to change the battery, hence my questions. By the way, I love this car and can’t imagine what I would replace it with.

Thanks for any useful responses.

Paul,

The most effective way of avoiding any risk of power spike when changing your Battery is to ensure that there is an alternative 12v supply connected to the car during the changeover.

One can either have a spare Battery connected by (say) jump start leads to your existing Battery leads BEFORE you disconnect them,and leave them on until you've installed and connected the new Battery (so in effect - your car isn't aware that the supply is changing), OR, I have a lithium jump starter (Noco) that I  plug into my OBD port (during the replacement process) that maintains the 12v supply.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

16 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

You need to stop screwing around with Lexus and send your unit to some electronic repair shop (not the other one obv) - 90% chance that fix will cost less than £30.plus the labour

I've tried three repair shops and none of them are confident. Pioneer will not supply the testing and repair instructions after Lexus threatened court action. It's all a big quango. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

I've tried three repair shops and none of them are confident. Pioneer will not supply the testing and repair instructions after Lexus threatened court action. It's all a big quango. 

I am an experienced electronic engineer with access to a whole list of expensive kit at work that would allow me to analyse this - I am actually designing a switching converter for my company now for a product that they are making - these places you speak of just don't have the necessary people to investigate things like this - I said it last year and I won't repeat myself once more - it's highly likely this is due to poor design - Lexus won't admit liability and will just pass off excuse after excuse and get the customer to fork out for a replacement unit, can Lexus diagnose some damaged components that need investigation under a microscope? Absolutely not, a competent repair technician can however. 

I don't know why people are complaining about this and not taking this up with lexus, including taking them to the small claims court as that is what it's used for. All you need is sufficient evidence and an independent judicator will decide.

1 hour ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

Pioneer will not supply the testing and repair instructions after Lexus threatened court action

That’s a big claim and a scandal, if true. Do you have a source for this? Really doesn’t put Lexus in a good light if so…

4 minutes ago, matt8 said:

That’s a big claim and a scandal, if true. Do you have a source for this? Really doesn’t put Lexus in a good light if so…

The issue I have had with unnamed company is a perfect example, they would not admit liability - I have had to sign a NDA but what it essentially means is the company screwed up and don't want drama - common sense says changing a Battery should not bork a Navi unit - my Subaru is MY08, Battery disconnected at least 100 times no issues, all that happens is a security feature is activated that needs resetting but nothing wrong with the unit or it's sound system itself 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, Bob99 said:

Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.  

Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
1. Remove the battery terminals for positive and negative
2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal. 

Found the above rayaans, so leaving it for a long time like are going to do may work. Nothing to lose by this method anyway. Hope it works

If there was a fix, and I should hope there is then why don't Lexus know as they are fobbing off customer's with a new unit 

16 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

It's the same as the laptop I had to take to court, did unmentioned company declare a worldwide recall despite widespread issues? Of course not, sometimes you need to play hard. Do you work with lexus?

I mean its probably do-able

The question is how long it would take and what to do in the meantime. I suspect these things probably take a few years? I ended up in court for speeding and it was 12 months after the actual incident!

The other problem is that nobody seems confident in testing / repair. I also tried to find a few radio repair shops and unfortunately they all said that they weren't sure or gave ridiculous quotations. 

In the end I ended up buying a second hand unit for £450 and it worked. The car remains in my family and its still working fine.

3 hours ago, Illogan said:

Paul,

The most effective way of avoiding any risk of power spike when changing your battery is to ensure that there is an alternative 12v supply connected to the car during the changeover.

One can either have a spare battery connected by (say) jump start leads to your existing battery leads BEFORE you disconnect them,and leave them on until you've installed and connected the new battery (so in effect - your car isn't aware that the supply is changing), OR, I have a lithium jump starter (Noco) that I  plug into my OBD port (during the replacement process) that maintains the 12v supply.

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

I mean its probably do-able

The question is how long it would take and what to do in the meantime. I suspect these things probably take a few years? I ended up in court for speeding and it was 12 months after the actual incident!

The other problem is that nobody seems confident in testing / repair. I also tried to find a few radio repair shops and unfortunately they all said that they weren't sure or gave ridiculous quotations. 

In the end I ended up buying a second hand unit for £450 and it worked. The car remains in my family and its still working fine.

Companies don't want drama, hence a claim out of the mainstream media, 100 percent Lexus know about this issue but are just playing along with it and charging customers for a replacement unit.

Rayaan I know it’s been a while now since you replaced yours but if you still have the old faulty unit I would be happy to take a look at it which may result in a repair or at least help other members in the same position.

It would make a change from LS400 ECUs, Climate Control LCDs, Radio backlight issues and the interior lights controllers I used to repair.

2 hours ago, matt8 said:

My source is Tom at Car Audio Repairs in New Mills, Derbyshire. He's highly rated but doubted he could help for that very reason.

I also emailed Pioneer UK, but they claim they don't support units made specifically for a car manufacturer. Now, that I CAN'T believe.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links