Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What a great Mothers Day yesterday - I picked up my new (well, new to me) GS300 Sport!!!! Still can't wipe the smile off my face :D :D :D

I bought it from Jimmy Ten Toes so you'll see it in the Garage as the feature car. It's a real beaut and a completely different drive to my IS - taking a little getting used to (that's my excuse for driving it around so much anyway).

Just one minor problem, I think it needs new front pads - they're squeaking and there's some shake breaking from higher ( :whistling: ) speeds. Anyone know what I should expect to pay from Lexus or from an independant? Any views on if I should get the back ones replaced as well or am I ok to just replace the front pads?

Thanks,

Claire

Nice one Claire.

Are the pads squeaking all the time or only when braking? If only when braking then the pads probably just need to be removed and copper grease applied to them.

Shaking when braking may be the discs although I would check tyre pressures, get the wheels fully aligned and the wheel nuts tightened to the correct torque first.

Thanks for all the responses chaps! Colin, I'll try your suggestions and see how I go, there is slight juddering on breaking. I called an independant garage and they said the discs could need replacing - but I know you can get them skimmed if need be. Am getting hubby to take it to a garage for a verdict - I'm always worried about being ripped off as I don't know much about these things.

Anyway, still really happy with it and very much looking forward to showing it off on Sunday!

Thanks for all the responses chaps! Colin, I'll try your suggestions and see how I go, there is slight juddering on breaking. I called an independant garage and they said the discs could need replacing - but I know you can get them skimmed if need be. Am getting hubby to take it to a garage for a verdict - I'm always worried about being ripped off as I don't know much about these things.

Anyway, still really happy with it and very much looking forward to showing it off on Sunday!

Swap the discs with the ones on your IS if you still have it :whistling:

:) Nice motor, keep it gleaming!. Re brakes, ask the garage to inspect the spring clips that help hold the pads in place. If they are weak the pads can "clatter & squeak in the calliper housing , however if you wind down the windows and drive past a brick wall or fencing (to bounce the sound back etc) & apply slight brake pressure the sound may go in which case it could be worn clips or warn calliper pins. Mine is due to be booked in to have new pins & clips.

Keep away from high kerbs when parking nose in as there is very little ground clearence under the front lower spoiler & these 'aint cheap !

Cruise & enjoy ! MW.

Swap the discs with the ones on your IS if you still have it :whistling:

Now THAT'S an idea - is it easy to do or are there any volunteers to help me do this at Gaydon?!?!?!?!

Congarts you finally got her/him/it :lol:

Have you let HIM drive it YET? :whistling:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, he drove it over to my work today to pick me up for lunch. I had to take the IS (hard life eh?!) in as it was being picked up for it's 40k service. Not sure if I'll get to drive it tomorrow either as 'Himself' is going to take it to the garage for me for a verdict on the brakes. Ho hum, I'll certainly be making up for lost time!

MW, the parking and that front spoiler is the only think worrying me at present. I prefer to reverse into spaces but am scared of banging the rear. I guess until I'm really used to it, I'll be parking like a Noddy across 2 bays :hehe:

Craig, yep, the IS feels like a go-kart in comparison. Both fun cars but I now pledge my allegiance to the GS300 (until I can get the lottery win for the 430 anyway ;) )

Nice one Claire.

If you want a hand changing your brakes id be happy to help 1 weekend. Its not a huge job (not much more than taking the wheels off)

Look forward to seeing it.

BTW what parking sensors does Rodders use, and how does he rate them?

Colin

What type of parking sensor does Rodders have?

Rod has a microwave type that uses the steel bumper bar as the aerial. They are good because nothing has to stick through the bumper and there are no blind spots although I think the vehicle has to be moving to sense an object.

Welcome to the mk2 sports brigade, nice motor, just had my front pads changed at Lexus Cambridge with LOC discount came to just under £100.

I've just put the 2003 rear lights on so if you have trouble with the reversing i have a spare set :P

Where's my Gold Member Logo ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links