Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

looking at getting my first Lexus - IS300h

23 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

But if you could have washing machine with 10 or 14 programmes for the same price - which one would you choose? 

Personally I would assess the value of the four missing programmes and evaluate the qualities of the two offerings - which is exactly what I’ve done with all our appliances.  I am someone who does not automatically go for the lowest quote, for example.

But having said that, Linus, you might be amused to learn that the Lexus I bought was the first Lexus I had even noticed, the first I sat in, the first I drove and the only one I looked at! And I never even knew what other options might have been available.

True, I did then spend some time reading reviews and checking out prices. But as a purchase, I can say it has actually exceeded my expectations.  And I’m sure Gary will feel the same with his!

15 hours ago, gtanny said:

Loving the discussions going on but the deal is done, deposit paid today, collection on Wednesday, fingers crossed.

Sold by lexus Nottingham who wouldn't budge on the price (Inchcape group so apparently prices are set by head office and are non negotiable) but managed to get a full tank of fuel and 3 years warranty at a discount price so I'm happy.

Also going to take up the service plan for the 3 years.

I'm very happy with the spec I have as the Bmax has very little so cruise control was enough to sell me, I tend to listen to audiobooks and podcasts when I drive as I find them more relaxing, although I am prone to blasting a bit of metal so hopefully the speakers are at least adequate, my hearing is terrible and I'm no audiophile so I'm not worried.

One final trip to IKEA tomorrow in the Bmax before giving it to my mum.

Thanks for all the help, I'll pop up a couple of photos once I've collected it.

Look forward to hearing all about it. I’m sure it will be everything you’re hoping it will be. They are great cars.

• Like 1

Well according to the majority of posts, I've done just about everything wrong!!

I went from a fearsome ISF, to a  lowly RC300h luxury. 

And I don't  care. All I need from a car is reliability, electric windows, rear camera, and aircon. Looks are a definite bonus. 

Once I have set everything up in the car to my satisfaction, I rarely alter anything. 

I miss some electric gizmos some of my other cars have had, but don't loose any sleep over it. Despite owning it for 18 months, I'm still finding things that I didn't know I had, that's how much I'm bothered! In fact last week I found I could open the boot with the keys fob, and bugger me there was a washing machine in there!!

So, to the original poster, enjoy your chosen car. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

But having said that, Linus, you might be amused to learn that the Lexus I bought was the first Lexus I had even noticed, the first I sat in, the first I drove and the only one I looked at! And I never even knew what other options might have been available.

I think it is helped by the fact that the first car you sat in happened to be Premier which is best top-end trim with all bells and whistles. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Wow perplexed, now that IS a word and a half. I'd never have thought of that. Well done 👍

Just hang around Sunshine and you will become educated.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now, where did I put my HGV licence ?

• Haha 1

I'll try to avoid all the drama here but chime in anyway 😁

I'm a new Lexus owner myself and had never driven one before I brought it. I've owned some german cars before but I fell for the looks on my IS300H F-Sport. My thoughts after owning for 4 months:

1. Looks quicker than it goes. Its true it takes time getting used to that smooth yet droney CVT. Some days I think its utter sh*te but other times it feels pokey. I think its just the way you drive it. But Linas is right, its not a rocket. But then you shouldnt buy a hybrid tbh.

2. Standard sound system is rubbish. I wish I'd gone for one with the ML system. I mean I guess its ok but my Mazda3 (2016) had a bose in it so maybe I've set the bar high.

3. Interior build quality is good. Materials however are not great. My one is starting to show wear, shine and threading on the seats whereas I've had a golf with 100,000 and it still looked like new.

4. I've no doubt about the reliability. I have FLSH but in anycase its a toyota and will go on longer than my wife on a bad night.

5. Dont get me started on the outdated infotainment, that stupid mouse thing or the silly temp adjusters.

6. I hate this suspension. On London roads it feels like i'm riding a cart in Rome and wish I'd gone for the Premier.

In summary, the F-Sport is not a sports car, it just looks like one. Like one of those Fiestas with big wheels on it. To truly appreciate this car, and in hindsight, the Premier would be the one. A proper cruiser which suits the badge as well the car itself.

I'm a little heartbroken if im honest and thinking of trading it in for an A5 Sportback. But I do love Toyota's bulletproof engineering. Best in the world no doubt.

• Like 2

@Mr Vlad

I just love that interior. And its a hatchback which is super practical, this is my first saloon. I wouldnt consider the CT (I personally find it ugly). Maybe one of the RX models but i'd have to dig deep.

41 minutes ago, Sully888 said:

I'm a new Lexus owner myself and had never driven one before I brought it. I've owned some german cars before but I fell for the looks on my IS300H F-Sport. My thoughts after owning for 4 months:

1. Looks quicker than it goes. Its true it takes time getting used to that smooth yet droney CVT. Some days I think its utter sh*te but other times it feels pokey. I think its just the way you drive it. But Linas is right, its not a rocket. But then you shouldnt buy a hybrid tbh.

2. Standard sound system is rubbish. I wish I'd gone for one with the ML system. I mean I guess its ok but my Mazda3 (2016) had a bose in it so maybe I've set the bar high.

3. Interior build quality is good. Materials however are not great. My one is starting to show wear, shine and threading on the seats whereas I've had a golf with 100,000 and it still looked like new.

4. I've no doubt about the reliability. I have FLSH but in anycase its a toyota and will go on longer than my wife on a bad night.

5. Dont get me started on the outdated infotainment, that stupid mouse thing or the silly temp adjusters.

6. I hate this suspension. On London roads it feels like i'm riding a cart in Rome and wish I'd gone for the Premier.

In summary, the F-Sport is not a sports car, it just looks like one. Like one of those Fiestas with big wheels on it. To truly appreciate this car, and in hindsight, the Premier would be the one. A proper cruiser which suits the badge as well the car itself.

I'm a little heartbroken if im honest and thinking of trading it in for an A5 Sportback. But I do love Toyota's bulletproof engineering. Best in the world no doubt.

I can understand the points you’ve made. They are not for everyone. Cue a succession of outraged people who think their IS300H is a rocket ship and the best car in its segment bar none 😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I can understand the points you’ve made. They are not for everyone. Cue a succession of outraged people who think their IS300H is a rocket ship and the best car in its segment bar none 😀

It's quite late and they must be tired 😄 I don't mean to get on anyones nerves. I just expected more than I got. It's a good car and I get lots of compliments on how it looks. But then so does a Alfa 159 and thats a bag of nails haha.. ok thats enough of that!

My cousin has one of these too and loves it like theres no tomorrow. I guess when you drive for nought and the thing never breaks down whats not to love?

Wow I've missed a lot while driving around all day 🙂

still planning to pick it up tomorrow at 1pm so excited to bring it back.

I'll try address few comments that I can remember, I'm on my phone in bed so not the best way to type.

I've been a metalhead since about 15 when I fell in love with Children of Bodom (RIP Alexi) I'm 36 in a couple of weeks so my hearing isn't too bad but I normally listen to music/audiobooks with a single cheap Bluetooth headphone on while at work so hearing is more important than outstanding quality.

the Bmax was a zetec spec so quite basic, electric windows and heated front window were about the only luxury available

I've never owned an automatic car but my partner got a new A class merc as a courtesy car when her TT was in the garage and I fell in love with automatics, and the a class but don't have the budget for a new model right now.

As for a premier spec, I did look, the main thing extra I would want is the automatic distance cruise control and given the only premier nearby was 1.5k more, 12 months older and the wrong colour I am very happy with my choice, I love gunmetal grey cars, or in the case Mercury grey.

Sully, I really like the styling on the F sport but I don't want sport suspension, gutted you're not completely happy with your car, thankfully the roads I'm on are not too bad that an F sport would have been an issue and thankfully I have the dial system not the weird mouse thing as even the positive reviews never seem to make it look user friendly, although I just want my phone to connect and play audio and maybe answer the odd call if essential.

That's everything I can remember, I need to go sort out insurance on the computer tomorrow so I'll try remember to check back again before my dad taking me down to pick it up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gtanny said:

Wow I've missed a lot while driving around all day 🙂

still planning to pick it up tomorrow at 1pm so excited to bring it back.

I'll try address few comments that I can remember, I'm on my phone in bed so not the best way to type.

I've been a metalhead since about 15 when I fell in love with Children of Bodom (RIP Alexi) I'm 36 in a couple of weeks so my hearing isn't too bad but I normally listen to music/audiobooks with a single cheap Bluetooth headphone on while at work so hearing is more important than outstanding quality.

the Bmax was a zetec spec so quite basic, electric windows and heated front window were about the only luxury available

I've never owned an automatic car but my partner got a new A class merc as a courtesy car when her TT was in the garage and I fell in love with automatics, and the a class but don't have the budget for a new model right now.

As for a premier spec, I did look, the main thing extra I would want is the automatic distance cruise control and given the only premier nearby was 1.5k more, 12 months older and the wrong colour I am very happy with my choice, I love gunmetal grey cars, or in the case Mercury grey.

Sully, I really like the styling on the F sport but I don't want sport suspension, gutted you're not completely happy with your car, thankfully the roads I'm on are not too bad that an F sport would have been an issue and thankfully I have the dial system not the weird mouse thing as even the positive reviews never seem to make it look user friendly, although I just want my phone to connect and play audio and maybe answer the odd call if essential.

That's everything I can remember, I need to go sort out insurance on the computer tomorrow so I'll try remember to check back again before my dad taking me down to pick it up.

Hope the collection goes well. Try and get some sleep tonight! 😀

1 hour ago, gtanny said:

I've never owned an automatic car but my partner got a new A class merc as a courtesy car when her TT was in the garage and I fell in love with automatics...

Well you’ve clearly and very sensibly been able to work out what you want and what you’re getting, despite all the current restrictions.  I’m sure we’re all looking forward to sharing the experience with you.

I was interested in your comments regarding the automatic.  I’m a tad over twice your age and although I’d driven autos I never thought I’d buy one.  Somehow it seemed to be the choice of someone who didn’t really enjoy driving.

However, when I tried the IS250 I was impressed with the auto box.  I don’t know if it’s the same one as you’re getting (possibly someone will mention it!) But now I am - to coin a phrase - fully converted.

At first I did play with the flappy paddles, as a sort of compromise, but eventually decided that having someone change gears for me was now an integral part of the overall Lexus experience.  In fact, changing my own gears in our other car has become rather an irritation!

All the best for tomorrow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Can I just go on the record to say that I think that my IS300H is a rocket ship and the best car in its segment bar none.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Can I just go on the record to say that I think that my IS300H is a rocket ship and the best car in its segment bar none.

I’m really hoping this leads to an “I’m Spartacus” forum moment...😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sully888 said:

I was warming to the points made by Sully until his penultimate line.

There I was gliding gently down to the Hudson with him until  he hit me with    "for an A5 Sportback" when he should have said "for a Premier" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I was warming to the points made by Sully until his penultimate line.

There I was gliding gently down to the Hudson with him until  he hit me with    "for an A5 Sportback" when he should have said "for a Premier" 

Yes, you can go off people quickly can't you? :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Len. The is300h is CVT which is constant velocity transmission. Your is250 (is it 3rd generation?) is a proper auto box. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Len. The is300h is CVT which is constant velocity transmission. Your is250 (is it 3rd generation?) is a proper auto box. 

Many thanks Vladimir.  I knew I could rely on someone to know!  And yes, it is a 3rd Generation - unless anyone knows differently. 🙂

Incidentally, is the Lexus CVT box in anyway similar to the CVT used in the DAF55?  I ask because I was involved in marketing them - but that would be for another thread!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LenT said:

Incidentally, is the Lexus CVT box in anyway similar to the CVT used in the DAF55?  I ask because I was involved in marketing them - but that would be for another thread!

I was told many years ago that a Daf 55 went backwards as fast as it went forwards. Having marketed them, can you confirm this either way please? 

This is also a very good excuse to repost my favourite video of some crazy Dutch guys racing Dafs backwards:

• Thanks 1

I asked because your profile stated is250 Premier. That's 3rd gen. Mine is 2nd gen SE-L.

Can't answer about the DAFF55 but I can't see a truck having CVT. I've driven auto 7.5t and not heard of a truck with CVT. But in essence CVT is CVT so in the Daff it'll be a variation of with similar drive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links