Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Member and owner of a UX250H F-Sport saying hello with a question!

Afternoon everyone! 

Picked up a low mileage UX250H  F-Sport yesterday and generally very happy with the drive and comfort - I am a first time owner of a hybrid, however I have noticed this low rotational rumbling noise at low speed, is this normal - I appreciate it might be regenerative braking, but it does sound like something is rubbing together. I have attached a video clip where hopefully you can hear it 

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Best,

Andrew

Mine is over two years old and does not have a noise like that. Definitely a dealer question to be answered. My first thoughts would be a wheel bearing but never heard of anybody having an issue so pure guess only. Try putting light pressure on the foot brake and accelerator in case it’s a warped disc??

Could be a simple as a rusty disc if it's just been washed or standing a while. A few strong stops should clear it but as John says drive straight back to the dealer (was it a Lexus dealership?), let them investigate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, awhyu said:

is this normal - I appreciate it might be regenerative braking,

No and no but it might just be brakes rubbing a little due to lack of use. Just do three or four hard brakes from 50 to 10 mph to clean them up and if it still occurs then ask your dealer to investigate.

• Like 1

I know it can sometimes be a pain calling a dealership and booking a car in but I don’t understand why someone would buy approved used from a Lexus dealership, with all the peace of mind and customer services backup that comes with this, and then suffer a fault and attempt to self-diagnose on the internet. Call them, explain the noise, send the clip too if possible, tell them you aren’t happy and you’d like it fixed please. Take it in and collect it when it’s fixed. No point buying in this way and not using the dealership to diagnose and fix.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It’s not the new “pedestrian warning” noise that newer electrics/hybrids have to make at slow speeds is it? My ‘69 UX doesn’t have anything like that, but the ‘71 loaner I drove did. Can’t recall if it sounded like that though…

Nick

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, awhyu said:

Afternoon everyone! 

Picked up a low mileage UX250H  F-Sport yesterday and generally very happy with the drive and comfort - I am a first time owner of a hybrid, however I have noticed this low rotational rumbling noise at low speed, is this normal - I appreciate it might be regenerative braking, but it does sound like something is rubbing together. I have attached a video clip where hopefully you can hear it 

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Best,

Andrew

Curious to know, Andrew, what - if anything - you decided to do about this.  Presumably you didn’t just decide to live with it.

Did you go back to the dealer?  Obviously the longer you delayed that, the more likely they would say that it wasn’t there when they sold it.

It certainly sounds like it could have been surface rust on the discs, which might have been removed by now.  One clue might have been that the guilty wheel would have got distinctly hotter after a braking test.

• Like 2

Having had a closer listen on a proper pair of speakers it's definitely not a synthetic noise, so please disregard my previous comment. It's definitely something rubbing, possibly rust on one of the disks which others have already suggested should go after a few stops with the brakes. If not, could be a number of things - wheel bearings, constant-velocity joints etc. - none of which I'd expect to go bad on such a new car.

As others have said, I'd hand it to my dealer to check at this point!

Nick

Having listened again and noticing you have an F Sport it could be the Active Sound Control which tries to simulate petrol engine noise - it kind of works at high speed / full throttle but gives a weird drone noise at idle and odd low speed sound. Certainly worth turning it off to see if it solves the problem.

I've always hated it and always turn it off.

• Like 1

Oh gods; I never even considered this. It's so terrible on mine that I only turn it on when I'm giving friends a lift and we want something to laugh about. A shame, as the sounds they programmed in for the UX300e I drove were awesome - it sounded like a proper spaceship!

It's a button on the right hand side near the steering wheel labelled ASC - hit that and see if the problem goes away!

Nick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links