Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

On 11/13/2022 at 8:54 PM, toffee_pie said:

EVs now have a 'VED' so in 2030 they will incur 'extra' charges and wont be any cheaper to run than the petrol cars that existed 30+ years before them -

EVs do NOT attract VED, you’re probably thinking of the Luxury Car Tax which applies to all passenger cars over £40K whether EV or ICE.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

EVs do NOT attract VED, you’re probably thinking of the Luxury Car Tax which applies to all passenger cars over £40K whether EV or ICE.

Although David you have to be known to the VED system. 

Electric cars don’t have to pay road tax, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to apply for it. So, while you may have saved yourself the cost, unfortunately, you haven’t saved yourself the admin. 

You’ll get your yearly reminder to pay your road tax as usual, and you will need to follow the normal process, except you don’t pay anything that is until November 17th 😱

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

except you don’t pay anything that is until November 17th

and wot a huge sum it might be too  ............... hopefully at least that of normal fuelled cars eh !

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Malc1 said:

and wot a huge sum it might be too  ............... hopefully at least that of normal fuelled cars eh !

Malc

You make a good point, Malcolm.

This is what the Office of Budget Responsibility (OBR) has to say about the fuel levy:

Fuel duties are levied on purchases of petrol, diesel and a variety of other fuels. They represent a significant source of revenue for government. In 2022-23, we expect fuel duties to raise £26.2 billion. That would represent 2.7 per cent of all receipts, and is equivalent to around £930 per household and 1.0 per cent of national income.

8 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Although David you have to be known to the VED system. 

Electric cars don’t have to pay road tax, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to apply for it. So, while you may have saved yourself the cost, unfortunately, you haven’t saved yourself the admin. 

You’ll get your yearly reminder to pay your road tax as usual, and you will need to follow the normal process, except you don’t pay anything that is until November 17th 😱

I know, I’ve been doing that for almost a decade 😉

You mean the normal process of it taking less than a minute online to pay £0 VED? 

51 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

I know, I’ve been doing that for almost a decade 😉

You mean the normal process of it taking less than a minute online to pay £0 VED? 

Yes, a madness, I assume you have a 40 year old + vehicle and assuming you have online capabilities? Some owners can't, or will not. 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:51 AM, Malc1 said:

Am i reading that this venue was decided upon in 2010/12  ?    hasn't the world moved on since then a little and corruption become more evident  ..... and as for Elon Musks EVs and his Twitter debacle .........  this morning just about everything i touch on my mobile phone to search is being interrupted to do it thru' that twits Twitter ........... 

how the hell do we escape these unwanted intrusions on life ??    I don't have the twits Twitter at all .  don't want it and don't see why it has to be thrust down my eyeballs to use it 

Frustrated from Kent here

Malc

Decided upon years ago, correct - in 2026 3 host nations will, erm host it. I dont know exactly how it will work out but money has taken over football a long time ago

5 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Yes, a madness, I assume you have a 40 year old + vehicle and assuming you have online capabilities? Some owners can't, or will not. 

No we have an EV, we get a letter through the post with a reference number on, click on the link on DVLC online (just like everyone in here has access to the internet) and click zero £ and it then says “your vehicle is taxed”.

As for those that will not, that’s up to them, those that have no access to the internet can pop along to the post office…..just as they would have to with any road vehicle.

1 hour ago, LenT said:

You make a good point, Malcolm.

This is what the Office of Budget Responsibility (OBR) has to say about the fuel levy:

Fuel duties are levied on purchases of petrol, diesel and a variety of other fuels. They represent a significant source of revenue for government. In 2022-23, we expect fuel duties to raise £26.2 billion. That would represent 2.7 per cent of all receipts, and is equivalent to around £930 per household and 1.0 per cent of national income.

But when Boris Johnson gave his 3-minute speech a few years ago declaring the end of the combustion car, followed by the subject matter expects saying EVs are green (lies), £0VED (lies...), cheaper than a combustion car to run (lies)

All lies, just as with diesel, that is why I always have driven 6 pot petrol’s, screw the gov – will leave out my lemon V8 Merc as I only had it a month
And our income is getting to the stage where we won’t have any left if interest rates keep going up, council tax, mortgage, electric, gas and VED

And all the excuses the gov are using is hogwash - covid, the energy crisis, net zero, the war. But it’s working out well - they want a tiered society and ultimately social credit but even if this does happen in 2030 you, boxbrownie etc will still deny everything that is happening now has anything whatsoever to do with it

9 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc

The gov would love the 600+ a year I pay, imagine if they kept 286k/km petrol cars - they would be minted - EVs for sure will command a VED levy in the future
I might put some insulation around the engine of mine and put some net zero compliant sticker on the back to prolong the life of the Subaru

On 11/14/2022 at 8:51 AM, Malc1 said:

Am i reading that this venue was decided upon in 2010/12  ?    hasn't the world moved on since then a little and corruption become more evident  ..... and as for Elon Musks EVs and his Twitter debacle .........  this morning just about everything i touch on my mobile phone to search is being interrupted to do it thru' that twits Twitter ........... 

how the hell do we escape these unwanted intrusions on life ??    I don't have the twits Twitter at all .  don't want it and don't see why it has to be thrust down my eyeballs to use it 

Frustrated from Kent here

Malc

FIFA have been corrupt a long time, see what I said about Maradona. Platini was on the FIFA board -- corrupt, platter -- corrupt -- thats just a few

The downfall of Sepp Blatter and the disgraced Fifa president’s one-time heir apparent, Michel Platini, is all but complete after both were banned from football for eight years by the world governing body’s own ethics committee.

Both men were cleared of corruption charges but found guilty of a series of other breaches including a conflict of interest and dereliction of duty over a 2m Swiss francs (£1.35m) “disloyal payment” from Blatter to Platini, the Uefa president, in 2011.

On 11/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, Bluemarlin said:

I don't believe that electric cars will necessarily be cheaper to own and run in the long term. However, nor do I think they'll be more expensive. I imagine that costwise it will probably balance out, but perhaps they might be a bit less of a faff to maintain.

I'm undecided on the environmental impact, although I recently saw a study comparing an ICE Golf vs EV which, taking into account all of the manufacturing, the overall environmental impact of the EV became lower at around 2 years into ownership. So yes, there is an impact in production, which is then mitigated during its lifecyle. How true that is of other cars, I don't know.

However, neither cost nor the environmental arguments are the reason for my preference, I just think the technology is better, with greater opportunities for innovation and improvement.

All of this is just my opinion, which I'm happy to accept you don't agree with.

Contrary to your statement though, I have been having further dialogue with you Eric, but the fact that my opinion differs from yours seems to make you conclude that I must be paid off. We just have different views on the technology, that's all. That doesnt mean that I'm spaced out on what governments say, or am paid off by anyone, and only that we happen to disagree. Is that such a hard concept to grasp, or is disagreeing with you a government conspiracy too?

There is no concept to grasp other than the fact it’s all lies we have been told - you will always deny it because it’s the type of person you and others are – you denied covid, that has been nonsense, thousands are dying from vaccines now and you are saying nothing

The full Mark twain quote is this, sums up everything nicely

There is nothing in the world like a persuasive speech to fuddle the mental apparatus and upset the convictions and debauch the emotions of an audience not practiced in the tricks and delusions of oratory.
- The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg

On 11/14/2022 at 6:23 PM, Bluemarlin said:

Perhaps, but I don't believe it's appropriate for a university to make such a course mandatory (good or bad), especially if/when students are paying for their course.

I do however believe that it should be mandatory for schools to teach kids how to be a decent human being and member of society. That might include such things as our impact on the planet, and how we can address that, but should also include our individual impact and how we treat and interact with others, and how we can become a positive part of society, and not a negative one.  

After all, it's no use being able to spell and add up, if you're just going to go through life being a *****.

Rest assure kids are thought nothing but how bad combustion engines cars are now and how the planet is dying unless you buy an electric car, and you need to stop eating red meat also btw – my niece is 6, she has become vegan because it’s the cool thing now as told at school and social media - thats more of these, can I just use SME's to abbreviate it.

18 hours ago, LenT said:

I wish!!!  

After all, being paid to have a particular opinion seems to be perfectly respectable these days.  They’re called ‘Influencers’ and it seems to be a nice little earner.

I believe not being approached is clear evidence that I’m the victim of a Conspiracy!  I think it’s because it’s well known that I can’t be bought.  😇

Others might suggest it’s because I’m not worth buying!  😢

You may well say that.  I could not possibly comment.

Well, you thought going for a 30-minute jog (not 35 because you would get covid) was normal as was the multitude of vaccines (which Pfizer basically said do not work) we were told take without even questioning side effects I wont talk about much about EVs and its 500kg Battery pack that is charged up with fossil fuels and outstanding for the planet in the process as it done to death by now so I generally would tend have a more open mind on anything I am told, especially by a politician.

4 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Well, you thought going for a 30-minute jog (not 35 because you would get covid) was normal

I think you must be confusing me with someone else!  I have never expressed any opinion about jogging.

But to reassure any joggers, studies have shown that you’re 19 times more likely to contract Covid from aerosols emitted by infected nearby individuals indoors than if you are sensibly separated outdoors.

4 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

as was the multitude of vaccines (which Pfizer basically said do not work)

No they didn’t say that.  But I think we’ve already established Eric, that you don’t know how vaccines work!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LenT said:

strangely MY OWN VEDs total about that per annum .  the Lexus at just shy of £300 and the Honda Legend at £600+  

Malc

• Like 1

I believe this thread has run its course having gone way off topic a number of times and has become circular, with people of opposing views who aren't going to change their own. This thread has therefore been locked.

There are plenty of platforms out there if you wish to discuss politics, healthcare and conspiracy theories - LOC isn't the place.

For members that have reported this thread over its lifetime - the moderation team refrain from editing or hiding posts unless they break the forum T&Cs. Member are encouraged to engage in healthy debate and challenge views they may not agree with, or simply ignore them. Our basic rules are:

• Be polite. Treat your fellow members with respect. Personal attacks and/or name calling in any form will not be tolerated and will result in you being removed from the club on either a permanent or temporary basis.
  • Use common sense. Do not post for the sake of posting, or simply to increase your post count.
  • Don’t break the law. Don't post about things that break the law, or that might encourage others to break the law.
  • Don’t post any message that even hints at advertising. This includes social media.
  • Ensure your post is useful and related to the subject of the original poster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links