OLI_EP3

Which would you get?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you get?

• Altezza SXE10 (RS200)
    • Accord Type R
    • IS200 Sport
    • Other (Please specify)

Well I have finally sold my FTO and need a family saloon.

I have narrowed down my options to the 3 above and need some help deciding which one.

Originally I intended to get the Altezza, but my budget doesn't really give me a huge deal of options in terms of choice etc. I could import one in but that would mean 3months wait??

Now I am considering an accord type r (As the wifes car is a civic type R and love the vtec)

EDIT! To give people a better understanding of what I want.

If I talk abut the Altezza first:

I like the Altezza for the looks, as they are proabably the best looking saloons out there (RX8's aren't considered a saloon in my eyes!)

I like some performance not super quick but not really the deciding factor, there's also the rarity of a car. Hence why I went for the FTO originally, now having had that car for nearly 3 years I found a few issues that will also be an issue with an Altezza.

Servicing (although some lexus/toyota dealers may do this)

Will it run forever? (like a Lexus?? Not too sure)

Resale was a problem as I even considered part exing it for something else as I found it a pain to sell and I lost quite a bit of money on the FTO, from buying it at it's peak i.e. lack of choice and high prices, now look at the prices now! I feel the Altezza 'may' follow the same route as they get more popular.

The Accord

Looks good (not as muscular as the lexus, but aint' no heffer)

Performance pretty good, allthough needs Superunleaded all the time (I've been told)

Servicing isn't a problem

Resale value.... not too sure (but hindered by the new accord and possible Type R in a few years time??)

Thirsty from a 2.2l

IS200

Good looking car

Good servicing

Costly to run??

Will run forever (like all Lexus'!)

Bad fuel economy compared to Altezza (I'm assuming it's similar to the FTO as that was a v6)

Performance lowest of the 3

Resale values? Do they hold their price?

Plenty of choice out there

I need to consider:

Servicing and maintainence

Cost of ownership (ties in with above?)

Re-sale value (hence why I'm considering an IS as I feel imports are still not as easy to sell?)

Performance

Practicallity

Fuel Economy

Anyway let me know your thoughts and comments. All appreciated!

Cheers

:hehe:

Personally i put down the IS sport, for a couple of reasons:

1. Insurance probably less (in my case it is)

2. Lexus service is second to none (don't know if they'd service a 'tezza)

3. Parts may be easier to source (not sure on that one)

the sport i believe has a slightly worse mpg than the 'tezza, and apart from the power ('tezza 50bhp more as standard), they're pretty much the same car!

But thats my opinions! :P

Stu :driving:

Well, FWIW, here's my opinion.

Servicing & maintenance:

1) Altezza

2) Honda

3) Lexus

IMHO a dealer service history is not so crucial with a 'Tezz. As long as it has been service correctly, then the resale will not be affected by a non-dealer service history as much as the other 2.

Cost of ownership:

Difficult to say especially when you take depreciation into account but I would say same as above. The 'Tezz can be imported for considerably less than the cost of an equivalent IS200 so the depreciation starts from a lower baseand you can use toyota parts rather than the Lexus equivalent. (So I have been reliably informed).

Resale:

1) IS200

2) Accord

3) Altezza

An import will always be more difficult to sell. Depends on how long you aim to run the vehicle. 2-3 years, deffo the IS200. The longer the period of ownership, the less it will matter. (As a vehicle gets older, I think it generally looses its 'exclusivity factor' and the source becomes less important than the condition.)

Practicality:

1) Is200

2=) Accord/Altezza

The IS200 is a smoother, more relaxed drive than the other two. Other than this, no difference.

Fuel Economy:

I don't know about the Accord, all I can say is the 'Tezza will probably

be around 2-5 mpg better than the IS. I get around 27-29 from mine.

Performance:

1) Altezza

2) Accord

3) IS200

Not much between Accord an 'Tezz, but the 'Tezz just edges it in my view. Anything like this is very subjective, but I love the overall driving experience of the import.

From the above, I reckon the Altezza just edges it, but then you'd think it strange if I said anything else :P

At the end of the day, they're all great cars and you won't go far wrong whichever one you choose. :driving:

bloody hell

At first I was edging towards the IS, then the Accord, now back to the Altezza! (thanks Shotwood)

:duh:

I'm wasting my time here! lol :P

No..... seriously, thanks for your imput so far guys. Keep them coming!

altezzaz  Posted on Apr 2 2004, 03:41 PM        Are you hinting you want to have a drive? tongue.gif

Are you offering...... again :whistling:

Don't forget the turn in is better in the Altezza than the IS200 due to less mass under the bonnet (better tyre wear, too) so the steering is less assisted and has better feel

ive driven bothe the altezza and is200............

the altezza gearchange/clutch action is worse than the is200..for real

and you have to rev the altezza more to get it to move, to be totally honest i wasnt that impressed by the way the altezza drove..

the is200 has the better interiour than the tezza and has more sound dedening fitted

as for fuel consumption i think overall the 2 cars will be the same,

If you're anywhere with easy reach of Norfolk, then you're very welcome to try my baby out.

not a fair comparison if yours isnt std .

if thats the case...........

maybe you should test drive a Supercharged is200 :)

maybe you should test drive a Supercharged is200

Hmmm. I've never been known to say no, well not on offers like that. :P

If anything, mine would put Oli off. It's nowhere near as refined as an IS200, especially with that loud exhaust... :ohmy:

I`ll not even give my opinion as it is very obvious....

Best thing for you to do mate, is to drive all 3 and see which you prefer.

What suits one person might not suit the next!!

Your more than welcome to have a drive of a Tezza if your near Warrington at any time.

Go for which one YOU thing drives the best for what you want. :winky:

well, if you wanna know which is the better car out of the three then i'd have to say the altezza in my opinion.

On the other hand if you want to know which is worth buying then i'd probably say the is200 sport as getting the altezza in a road worthy condition is one hell of a hassle from my experience!!!!

however! saying that, it must be ure lucky day or something cause i have an altezza for sale at a very very reasonable price. If ure interested then pm me or email me and we can talk!

i had nothing but problems with My TEZZA,

clutch

rear differential

speedo conversion,

cambelt slipped

coilpacks failed

was generally a dog, i sold it and got an is200, which was far more refined and used the same amount of Gas.

yes it was cheaper initially, but overall costed me more

and when i came to sell it, no one would touch it

Supracharged-IS340 Posted on Apr 2 2004, 03:54 PM

the is200 has the better interior than the tezza and has more sound dedening fitted

as for fuel consumption i think overall the 2 cars will be the same

Ive been driving in a 9 year old car with a TRUST exhaust and that car was pretty loud and pretty rattly - I think the altezza would be luxury for me! :)

shotwood Posted on Apr 2 2004, 04:08 PM

maybe you should test drive a Supercharged is200 

Hmmm. I've never been known to say no, well not on offers like that. 

If anything, mine would put Oli off. It's nowhere near as refined as an IS200, especially with that loud exhaust... 

Shotwood, thanks for the offer mate I'm in Essex but if I am in that area I would love to take her out for thrashing.......... I mean gentle sunday drive.

If anything I reckon I would be tipped over towards the altezza from the test drive ;)

AltezzaScott...........Yes I know your opinion..... I think everyone knows your opinion of the SXE10! :P

Jasear..........You have pm

AltEzZaBoB Posted on Apr 3 2004, 05:42 PM

i had nothing but problems with My TEZZA,

was generally a dog, i sold it and got an is200, which was far more refined and used the same amount of Gas.

yes it was cheaper initially, but overall costed me more

and when i came to sell it, no one would touch it 

What auction grade was it? Seems as though you had some serious problems, not something I've read about often on here. I generally thought most Altezzas are pretty bulletproof. I'll have a search on this forum.

Cheers again for the imput.

LIGHTER ENGINE, more bhp, better fuel economy hence better performance. Better to to drive i.e. smoother and higher spec.

I thought the general consensus on here was that the IS was much smoother in terms of the gearbox and engine than the Tezza - that's what everyone else has posted in the past in the bits I've read ? :unsure:

why is it the better car.?

LIGHTER ENGINE, more bhp, better fuel economy hence better performance. Better to to drive i.e. smoother and higher spec.

lighter engine................true

more bhp.......................true, but you have to rev the bullocks of it to get it to perform well

Better fuel economy.......not true

better to drive................not true, the clutch is gharder, the take up of drive is not as smooth, the 6 cylinder compensates for bad changes better than the 4 pot does

the 6 cyl has a better linear take up of power

smoother and higher spec........defo not true, see above, as for higher spec, hmmmmm

not all altezza come with a sunroof., the radio will need a frequency expander to operate at all the uk frequencys, most altezza ave cloth indide, not leather and suede, dont have electric seats, heated seats, the tyres are normally not Euro approved, the cars need to go through ESVA and most require quite considerable changes to bring them up to spec

and is200 has all the above.......and is upto certifcation.

ive driven both, alot.so my opinions are based on fact, ..........yours

i also import altezza and other Jap cars, so kinda did some reserch before hand

:winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links