Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres & Mild Weather

Rabbers

I changed to winter tyres on 13 October, a little earlier than usual this year.  This was because I like to get the change over and done with, winter tyres being mandatory by law here in Italy from 15 October to 15 April, with sanctions for non-compliance waived until 15 November, thus creating a one-month window for motorists to come in line. 

Although I have always chosen to fit winters around this time of year even before they became mandatory, I am starting to believe it would be better to wait a while longer in future.  In the twelve days since the change, mid-morning/afternoon temperatures have crept up from around 8-9°C/13-15°C to 10-12°C/17-20°C yesterday, with the result that the ride on my Pirelli SottoZero's feels decidedly "stickier", acceleration is slower, and the car feels generally heavier.  My fuel consumption is up, and presumably the tyres have been wearing faster than they should.

While I don't doubt that the mandatory dates were established with the best interests of the motoring population at heart and objectively based on historical weather records, I really can't remember when I last saw snow or ice in October and April.   I think that the dates should probably be extended by a month into November and shortened to March at the other end, and I'll probably do that next year.   

Yes I’ve had those tyres on a rear wheel drive Jaguar in temperatures of 15 degrees. On a long run they were awful. Almost like driving on melted tarmac. Or at least what I imagined that would be like!

On 10/25/2021 at 8:31 AM, Rabbers said:

I changed to winter tyres on 13 October, a little earlier than usual this year.  This was because I like to get the change over and done with, winter tyres being mandatory by law here in Italy from 15 October to 15 April, with sanctions for non-compliance waived until 15 November, thus creating a one-month window for motorists to come in line. 

Although I have always chosen to fit winters around this time of year even before they became mandatory, I am starting to believe it would be better to wait a while longer in future.  In the twelve days since the change, mid-morning/afternoon temperatures have crept up from around 8-9°C/13-15°C to 10-12°C/17-20°C yesterday, with the result that the ride on my Pirelli SottoZero's feels decidedly "stickier", acceleration is slower, and the car feels generally heavier.  My fuel consumption is up, and presumably the tyres have been wearing faster than they should.

While I don't doubt that the mandatory dates were established with the best interests of the motoring population at heart and objectively based on historical weather records, I really can't remember when I last saw snow or ice in October and April.   I think that the dates should probably be extended by a month into November and shortened to March at the other end, and I'll probably do that next year.   

Does this mandatory requirement apply to the whole of the country or only to specific areas?

It nowadays applies to the whole country, dates having formerly been variable region-to-region.  I believe some local authorities can apply their own regulations, which may be stricter or more lenient.

I've known colleagues who have run winter spec tyres all year round with no significant increase in wear. As long as one doesn't drive at 9/10ths  all the time handling would be perfectly acceptable.

My experience supports this, having used winter tyres on my Mercs in the past and have been 'caught out' by unseasonably warm temperatures. The tyres felt a little 'wobbly' but nothing concerning.

15 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

…. having used winter tyres on my Mercs in the past and have been 'caught out' by unseasonably warm temperatures. The tyres felt a little 'wobbly' but nothing concerning.

A couple of times when I thought it not worthwhile to store them over the summer, I have continued to run winter tyres for a few weeks into increasingly warm weather in order to squeeze an extra few km out of them and correspondingly spare my summer tyres.  I had the strong impression they were wearing more quickly than before, not that I kept them long enough for this to become  measurable.  Of course they were already worn to a stage not far short of terminal and, as such, not comparable in terms of feel with the sluggishness I am today experiencing with fairly new tyres with deep treads.  This I squarely attribute to high daytime ambient/road surface temperatures given that the early morning ride is satisfactory.  I am not unduly concerned by the situation, merely irritated because I might have avoided it by not changing so soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, peniole said:

Are all seasons acceptable (M+S with tripeak snowflake) in Italy, like in Germany?

Yes they are. On the side wall of the tyre you need to have the letters M+S or the tiny mountain with snowflake inside.

Strange construction in Germany. Not by rule, but when driving in winter conditions you need to make sure your car can handle them, thus no summertyres.

On top of that when in accident on summers good luck to you, the insurer wishes you all the best in the future and will not pay one penny

I confirm Bernard’s post above.  I personally admire the German way, whereby the use of winter tyres is not dictated by legislation but by your own sense of responsibility, albeit under threat of potential blame in the event of your involvement in an accident without them. 

On 10/25/2021 at 8:31 AM, Rabbers said:

Peeps on this forum say wonderous things about Michelin CrossClimates, which are allegedly all season/weather, don't wear out in warm conditions, but retain grip in snow - 3PMSF certified. I'm considering them for driving across Europe, partly through the Alps, in winter.

10 hours ago, DBIZO said:

Peeps on this forum say wonderous things about Michelin CrossClimates, which are allegedly all season/weather, don't wear out in warm conditions, but retain grip in snow - 3PMSF certified. I'm considering them for driving across Europe, partly through the Alps, in winter.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links